Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Apr 22, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #1,999 of 2,666
New R70X user and I am using these on my Feliks Euforia with Sylvania VT231 and CSF 6080WA tubes. All I can say is that it is a jaw dropping experience. Much better than my beloved HD650 in many parameters. This is such a sleeper headphone and its a pity not many people are taking it seriously.

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #2,000 of 2,666
The mimic cable:
Looks really good, feels soft but rigid in the right way. It is a joy to French coil.
It's quite good, but I don't notice a massive sonic difference from the standard cable. It's a bit better but I thought it may be more better as it is shorter and should therefore have been less resistance / capacitance and presented more 3D imagery and accurate frequency response - especially in the treble. Unfortunately it didn't quite feel like a sonic upgrade (but maybe upgrade sound from a cable is mostly a myth or part of a larger chain of successful component upgrades???) So effectively it is only an upgrade in feel, look, toughness and tidyness.

The gold end TRRS Jack for my device to receive is not that great at locking into place where as my other cables from AT lock really well. (Im01 +2)
It also un-screws from its housing slightly about once every three or four days which is annoying. Might put a tiny pin tip of locktite on it.

I think it is a bit overpriced for what I'm getting but there is nothing it there for this headphone so the mimic is the best option for me. An option I need as the standard cable is toooooo looooong.

I would save my money next time or really upgrade or even just make it myself with oversized parts.

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #2,001 of 2,666
Lunashops R70x cable
16 core silver plated OCC cable
It's very soft and supple.
No problem with the connectors, they fit.
Sound comes through. =)

LS_R70x_cable.jpg

May 1, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #2,003 of 2,666
Curious if you noticed any sonic improvements? What was the cable length?
My cable is 1.6 m long, but you can get it in any length you want.

My deep dive analysis is that it doesn't sound worse.

I am using Brainwavz Oval Hybrid Earpads, which did improve the sound stage over the original pads.

May 3, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #2,004 of 2,666
Haven't used the R70X in a while after getting the Focal Clear MG. But I tried out another pad swap, this time with the Dekoni Hifiman HE series Hybrid pads. They sound fantastic with the R70X, and they fit well too. Maybe the best I've heard them, head to head with the 58X and 660S. I'm currently trying out pads for my HE-500 also, so it's fun to see how well they work with the R70X, I've got Hifiman Elite Velour pads on the way as well.

It's kind of a shame there isn't really any official pad replacements for the R70X, because I feel like the R70X can sound even better if I got a good seal over the cup. So far there aren't many pads (like the Dekoni Hifiman ones I tried) that both seal very well and sound closest to the stock pads, which I found let too much air escape making the bass not as tight as I would like. I still think the R70X has some of the best and most natural treble response I have heard, regardless of price.

May 15, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #2,005 of 2,666
New for R70x...

Got used one, to temporary replace my daily Cans, while is being fixed.

Had an old sheepskin earpad from Elear, use it on this R70x, quite suitable...

Quite honest Cans IMO, all my gear seems so limited to this cans, except this...
20210516_082459.jpg

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #2,009 of 2,666
Wow. The R70x is easily the best headphone I've heard so far, and this includes the HD600, HD800, and LCD-2. It just sounds so right out of the box. I only hear a slight harshness in the treble but it's not a big deal lol.

1.png
Try pairing it with a quality silver cable. I’m using the Lavricables Ultimate Silver cable with my set. It removes the treble grain and improves the overall sound quality of the R70x’s all around.

May 21, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #2,010 of 2,666
Try pairing it with a quality silver cable. I’m using the Lavricables Ultimate Silver cable with my set. It removes the treble grain and improves the overall sound quality of the R70x’s all around.
I have a fancy aftermarket cable for it already but the seller warned me that the 3.5mm connector was a bit dodgy. A silver cable would be nice.

I'm also interested in potential aftermarket pads though the sound might change too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back