Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Oct 24, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #1,867 of 2,666
Theoretically, if you can find a connector that's long enough to fully reach the socket, and at the same time slimmer than the locking mechanism, it should work. But I imagine such connector would be very hard to find.

How will that work? It will fall out if the locking mechanism is not engaged and it will probably not be wired correctly for the r70x. Why would he or anyone else want that? he should just get the correct cable.

Oct 24, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #1,868 of 2,666
How will that work? It will fall out if the locking mechanism is not engaged and it will probably not be wired correctly for the r70x. Why would he or anyone else want that? he should just get the correct cable.
It won't fall out unless you pull it hard enough, just like any other audio plugs. For instance, Hifiman headphones use regular 3.5mm/2.5mm connectors without any additional locking mechanism, and it works just fine.
But you are absolutely right about the wiring. As IIysender pointed out, both of the plugs need to be stereo. I completely forgot about that.

So to answer muths66's question, you need get a specific cable that is confirmed to work with R70x.
If you are buying a custom cable, ask the seller first if they have anything that is compatible, or if they can make one for you.

Oct 25, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #1,870 of 2,666
I have two friends who like me are fond of the classic Sennheiser 6 series. Unlike me though they didn’t think too highly of the R70X. They felt it sounded ‘compressed’ and ‘closed-in’ and ended up selling theirs within a week of actually getting them.
Fast forward a good year and both of them visiting my apartment for a little musica and brewskis.
‘What the deuce?!!?? Say..er have you done anything to your R70X? Because your pair feels so different to the one I sold...so much more open-sounding’
‘Yeah I’ve listened to it’
‘What do you mean exactly?’
‘Yeah I’ve had it on my head rather frequently which in effect has loosened up the clamp ever so slightly...and ta-dahh just like when a Sennie starts conforming to your head, it also ‘opens up’ more aka you just forget that you’re wearing a coconut’
‘Ahh just like the thing with my 650!’
They have both repurchased the R70X and love it to death:)

Comfort and sound quality some times go hand in hand on a psychoacoustic level.

I also wonder about how many completely mint out-of-the-box headphones are being sold on a daily basis because people expect comfort like an old pair of slippers in what effectively is a brand spanking new pair of Nikes. I had a guy over to audition/buy a 6XX a little year ago. He used some 10 minutes squirming about the ‘collapsed soundstage’ until I realised that he’d only clicked the headband twice on either side! I opened it up about 6-7 clicks more and it genuinely looked like I’d opened up a window in his brain.

Edith: because of Danish autocorrect...

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #1,871 of 2,666
Been planning to downsize my collection. Only had these for a week and plan on keeping them!

How long have the stock pads lasted for you guys? I really like them, nice and comfy. Will probably try the brainwavz that @prozonelayer mentioned once they're worn out. Sheepskin replacements were mentioned, but I'm a human furnace and need breathable pads.

I will go back and give the HD 6XX several sessions after some more time. They (and the R70X) are both great at what I intended them for; fatigue-free listening for hours. The ATs have better low end IMO, which is very prominent in the music I listen to and they are kind of redundant otherwise.

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #1,872 of 2,666
Been planning to downsize my collection. Only had these for a week and plan on keeping them!

How long have the stock pads lasted for you guys? I really like them, nice and comfy. Will probably try the brainwavz that @prozonelayer mentioned once they're worn out. Sheepskin replacements were mentioned, but I'm a human furnace and need breathable pads.

I will go back and give the HD 6XX several sessions after some more time. They (and the R70X) are both great at what I intended them for; fatigue-free listening for hours. The ATs have better low end IMO, which is very prominent in the music I listen to and they are kind of redundant otherwise.

As far as I am concerned the a70x is much more pleasurable than the 600 series Sennheisers. It is just so much more fun and I guess it is mostly due to the better bass.

Nov 5, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #1,873 of 2,666
I am looking for light weight headphones.
So someone above said R70x's weight is close to none compared to most headphones.
Could it compare to the wooden Grado Reference series (RS2e, etc.) in terms of weightiness?

Nov 5, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #1,874 of 2,666
I am looking for light weight headphones.
So someone above said R70x's weight is close to none compared to most headphones.
Could it compare to the wooden Grado Reference series (RS2e, etc.) in terms of weightiness?
The Grado's feel like nothing on your head even when compared to the R70x's, which are very light themselves.

Nov 16, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #1,875 of 2,666
I came across this:

https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/

I must say I find it very vindicating. I did my research before I purchased my R70X headphones and it turns out someone who has tried a lot of headphones agrees with my findings. Seems like the R70X is pretty much the biggest bang for your buck out there. I have tried some of the headphones on his list and I agree with his assessment of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back