Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Oct 21, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #1,846 of 2,666
Thanks for your reply!
I'm looking for an all-purpose HP, or something as close as possible to that purpose. I listen to audiophile as well as bad recordings (bootlegs, etc...).
I mostly listen to classical (baroque, solo instruments, small ensemble, vocal, symphonic orchestra, opera), classic rock, blues, country, folk, singer-songwriter, jazz. No electronica, EDM, synthetic music, rap, hip-hop, metal, etc...
Some owner consider the R70x a bit veiled, which is something I don't like even though I'm not a fan of a bright/cold/analytical signature, I'm more of a mildly warmer signature fan. Generally speaking I don't like a distant sounding, recessed or veiled signature.
Do you consider the R70x veiled?
No not at all..in fact I really don’t get the whole ‘veiled’ thing if I’m being totally honest. It stems from the classic Sennheiser 6 series (580/600/650/6XX) and has become something of stable-word that some folks like to throw around, when they don’t feel they hear enough ‘detail/etc’ coming through. Personally I think it has to do with what people are used to ie if you are coming from a headphone with significantly more energy in the treble like a Beyer or an AKG, the Sennheisers are bound to sound a little muffled. The thing is once your ears conform to the sound signature of say an R70x and have listened to it for a week or so..and then go back to a DT1990/Q701/HD800S? They’ll probably sound unnaturally bright or perhaps even piercing.
People unacustomed to a linear tuning such as you find in the classic Sennheisers or the R70x should preferably give the old cabeza some time to wrap itself around the presentation. I think the R70x is one of the finest allrounders out there because it doesn’t shove detail and poor productions down your earcanal by way of fiesty treble..yet unfolds beautifully when the recording calls for it and gives you a clear window into the music.
I certainly don’t think of the HD560S as an allrounder. I find it a tad too shouty/aggressive for that. A far better option from Sennheiser is the HD58X.
Best of luck:)

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #1,847 of 2,666
My first headphone was the Focal Spirit Classic. I owned it for more than one year and it was my only headphone at the time. I still remember the feeling of a veil like a light curtain between me and the music, not related to switching from/to brighter headphones. The Elegia too are a bit veiled IMHO, so maybe that's the house sound. Anyway not my cup of tea for sure.

Oct 21, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #1,848 of 2,666
Thanks for your reply!
I'm looking for an all-purpose HP, or something as close as possible to that purpose. I listen to audiophile as well as bad recordings (bootlegs, etc...).
I mostly listen to classical (baroque, solo instruments, small ensemble, vocal, symphonic orchestra, opera), classic rock, blues, country, folk, singer-songwriter, jazz. No electronica, EDM, synthetic music, rap, hip-hop, metal, etc...
Some owner consider the R70x a bit veiled, which is something I don't like even though I'm not a fan of a bright/cold/analytical signature, I'm more of a mildly warmer signature fan. Generally speaking I don't like a distant sounding, recessed or veiled signature.
Do you consider the R70x veiled?
R70X isn't veiled at all! If u power it propperly :wink:
I suggest you to get a good dac/amp.
Ifi zen dac is a good choice.
Or , ifi micro idsd black label if you need something transport-able :)

Oct 21, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #1,849 of 2,666
My first headphone was the Focal Spirit Classic. I owned it for more than one year and it was my only headphone at the time. I still remember the feeling of a veil like a light curtain between me and the music, not related to switching from/to brighter headphones. The Elegia too are a bit veiled IMHO, so maybe that's the house sound. Anyway not my cup of tea for sure.
Best option would probably be to order both and send one back after having listened to them side by side.
Maybe the veil you heard was because of the closedback design? It could also just be that you go for a sound that has more energy in the upper frequencies. If it’s the latter you’ll probably like the Sennheiser more.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #1,850 of 2,666
R70X isn't veiled at all! If u power it propperly :wink:
I suggest you to get a good dac/amp.
Ifi zen dac is a good choice.
Or , ifi micro idsd black label if you need something transport-able :)

I own a Yulong DA9 desktop DAC/amp, which is a class A balanced amp able to provide ~130mW unbalanced at the R70x load and twice as much balanced.

Best option would probably be to order both and send one back after having listened to them side by side.
Maybe the veil you heard was because of the closedback design? It could also just be that you go for a sound that has more energy in the upper frequencies. If it’s the latter you’ll probably like the Sennheiser more.

I'll wait few days to see if some good offer on the R70x (new or used) pops up. The HD58X Drop at 170$ is really tempting though.

Oct 21, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #1,851 of 2,666
Rereading your posts in the comfort of my own home makes me think that you most likely want some more energy in the uppermids/treble.
If you found the Elegia veiled I’m fairly certain you won’t like either the R70X or the HD58X.
Maybe something like an HD560S is more to your liking.
If that doesn’t cut the mustard either I’d say swing for a Grado or a K702.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #1,852 of 2,666
...or how about the DT-880 (preferably 600 Ohm, if you have a suitable amp).

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #1,853 of 2,666
Rereading your posts in the comfort of my own home makes me think that you most likely want some more energy in the uppermids/treble.
If you found the Elegia veiled I’m fairly certain you won’t like either the R70X or the HD58X.
Maybe something like an HD560S is more to your liking.
If that doesn’t cut the mustard either I’d say swing for a Grado or a K702.

I compared the FR graph of my 1more Triple Driver Over-Ear with the R70x one and I came to the conclusion that the latter could be veiled based on my preferences. The 1more are warm and bassy, but I find the mids and treble at the right level. I assume the HD58X or HD6XX are a better option.

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #1,854 of 2,666
I have to admit that I am getting more and more confused. What you are saying does not align with what I hear and what I can see on frequency responses. The One More Triple Driver is like an Elegia..but with a bootful of bass. I am not sure we’re talking about the same thing when mentioning veil. Perhaps what you are looking for instead is a kind of warmth emanating from the lower frequencies and thereby adding more meat and weight to sounds.
Either way I give up:) The only way for you to find out for yourself is to try on some headphones, preferably side by side. Our human brains are horrendous at remembering sound impressions even after as little as a minute.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #1,855 of 2,666
I have to admit that I am getting more and more confused. What you are saying does not align with what I hear and what I can see on frequency responses. The One More Triple Driver is like an Elegia..but with a bootful of bass. I am not sure we’re talking about the same thing when mentioning veil. Perhaps what you are looking for instead is a kind of warmth emanating from the lower frequencies and thereby adding more meat and weight to sounds.
Either way I give up:) The only way for you to find out for yourself is to try on some headphones, preferably side by side. Our human brains are horrendous at remembering sound impressions even after as little as a minute.

I own both the 1more Triple Driver and the Elegia and I spent quite some time comparing them. I agree that 1more are bassier, but Elegia are also veiled IMHO. Unfortunately I can't find their FR measured by the same rigs.
The only way I can explain this is, have a look at the FR, expecially between 2 and 5-6 kHz, of both the Elegia and HD650.

Here is from crinacle:
graph(1).png

here from reference audio analyzer:
canvas.png

Can you see what I mean now?

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #1,856 of 2,666
No not really, sorry:darthsmile:
Best of luck.
Edith: It’d make sense if you owned the 650 and loved the upper frequencies though...but then again a lot of folks describe the 650 as veiled.
The only way to find out is to listen to various headphones side by side in order to sniff out what you really are looking for:)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #1,859 of 2,666
How does the R70x compare with the similarly priced Hifiman Sundara?

Sorry if this was previously answered, I did not search through all 124 pages.
The Audio Technica is warmer/bassier but also the more linear sounding can up through the mids. It is basically the company’s answer to Sennheiser’s HD600/650. Unlike the classic Sennies though it can do bass and deep bass very convincingly. Kinda like a bassier HD650 with a smidgen less of a smooth ride up through the mids and treble..but with far better detail and texture down below.

Hah! I ended up comparing it to the HD650...
Directly compared with the Sundara it will have more ‘presence’ in the mids simply because the Sundara is more laidback there (like every other planar magnetic headphone basically), which in effect translates into a more detailed sound...though perhaps not instantly recognisable because of the extra zing found in the Sundara’s treble. But if you listen to both headphones side by side it quickly becomes evident that it’s much easier to hear the little bits like vocal crackling and guitar distortion over the R70X.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #1,860 of 2,666
The Audio Technica is warmer/bassier but also the more linear sounding can up through the mids. It is basically the company’s answer to Sennheiser’s HD600/650. Unlike the classic Sennies though it can do bass and deep bass very convincingly. Kinda like a bassier HD650 with a smidgen less of a smooth ride up through the mids and treble..but with far better detail and texture down below.

Hah! I ended up comparing it to the HD650...
Directly compared with the Sundara it will have more ‘presence’ in the mids simply because the Sundara is more laidback there (like every other planar magnetic headphone basically), which in effect translates into a more detailed sound...though perhaps not instantly recognisable because of the extra zing found in the Sundara’s treble. But if you listen to both headphones side by side it quickly becomes evident that it’s much easier to hear the little bits like vocal crackling and guitar distortion over the R70X.

Wonderful, thank you for the comparison! Sounds like for the price ($350), it's really hard to find something that out performs the Sundara in technicalities and capabilities with other options simply being more curtailed to someone preferred tonality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back