Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Aug 11, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #1,831 of 2,666
Just got my xlr cable after shipping hell from china. I'm now of the impression that the more power you give it the more the treble opens up and the flatter it gets. Still doesnt image as well as the AWKT but details are only slightly less reveling when runing balanced on a iHA-6 on hi gain. Has a interesting smoothness to the sound as compared to the very clean cutoffs of the AWKT.
BTW, which XLR cable did you get off of aliexpress?

Oct 10, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #1,833 of 2,666
I've had my R70x for about a month now and today I replaced the stock pads with Brainwavz XL micro suede pads with cooling gel. I did not mind the stock pads, but wanted to try out larger pads to try and replicate the comfort of my AD-700, and wanted to try out the cooling gel since its finally starting to warm up here. These are far more comfortable and much roomier than the stock pads and I think my R70x is now more comfortable than my AD700 was. I think they could address some of the problems others were having with their ears touching either the pads or the inner mesh lining. I also notice they take some of the load off of the headband wings, allowing the headphones to sit higher on my head. The headphones are a bit heavier with these pads, but I think the more even weight distribution more than makes up for it. The cooling gel definitely works so far, after about a 90 minute session I still noticed the effect. I will be interested to see how it fares in an all day session, which is the norm for me with these headphones. I think if you're not interested in the cooling gel, the regular XL pads would be a touch lighter, but otherwise the same.

I didn't closely compare the sound before after, but to me they sound pretty much identical, maybe a slightly wider soundstage with the new pads but that could be my imagination.

Attached some pics to try and show the size difference between the pads.
IMG_20200715_134210.jpgIMG_20200715_134242.jpg

How are your impressions of the ear cups now, a few months later? Sound, comfort, durability, etc.

I like the HD6XX for its comfort and easy listening (can wear them for 4-6+ hours while working), but I do wish there was more bass.

Oct 11, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #1,835 of 2,666
Oct 11, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #1,836 of 2,666
Ordered a set of R70x, have anyone pad roll with them? if so what have you guys settle with? I mainly want to improve my comfort without changing the sound
Have you received the headphones yet? They are comfortable with the stock pads, try them before wasting money on something you might not need.

Oct 11, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #1,837 of 2,666
I've had my R70x for about a month now and today I replaced the stock pads with Brainwavz XL micro suede pads with cooling gel. I did not mind the stock pads, but wanted to try out larger pads to try and replicate the comfort of my AD-700, and wanted to try out the cooling gel since its finally starting to warm up here. These are far more comfortable and much roomier than the stock pads and I think my R70x is now more comfortable than my AD700 was. I think they could address some of the problems others were having with their ears touching either the pads or the inner mesh lining. I also notice they take some of the load off of the headband wings, allowing the headphones to sit higher on my head. The headphones are a bit heavier with these pads, but I think the more even weight distribution more than makes up for it. The cooling gel definitely works so far, after about a 90 minute session I still noticed the effect. I will be interested to see how it fares in an all day session, which is the norm for me with these headphones. I think if you're not interested in the cooling gel, the regular XL pads would be a touch lighter, but otherwise the same.

I didn't closely compare the sound before after, but to me they sound pretty much identical, maybe a slightly wider soundstage with the new pads but that could be my imagination.

Attached some pics to try and show the size difference between the pads.
IMG_20200715_134210.jpgIMG_20200715_134242.jpg
can you pls send me the link the one you bought with gel?

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #1,838 of 2,666
Has anyone tried the Luna cable found here:

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=7017

At this price it's hard to really worry about, but I couldn't find too much about Luna cables. Seems relatively positive. Some people bought cables from Amazon and Aliexpress, and had issues with fit and the cables shorting out.

I am on the verge of buying the R70X, but the long cable is going to be problematic for my desk setup.

Oct 17, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #1,839 of 2,666
How are your impressions of the ear cups now, a few months later? Sound, comfort, durability, etc.

I like the HD6XX for its comfort and easy listening (can wear them for 4-6+ hours while working), but I do wish there was more bass.
Comfort is still as great as day one. I generally wear them 4 to 6 hours a day while working and then sometimes for a few hours more while gaming, even with thick plastic glasses these stay comfortable. I definitely do think the soundstage is a little wider with these ear pads, but that's the only real sound difference I notice. Though to be fair, I didn't do any critical comparison between the stock and brainwavz pads. Durability seems fine, I haven't noticed any wear yet.
can you pls send me the link the one you bought with gel?
https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/gaming-earpads-xl

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #1,842 of 2,666
Have anyone try the Shure 1540 Alcantara Pads ? Would they fit the R70x ? I remember them being very comfortable.
Can't say how the 1540 Alcantara pads would fit with the R70x, but I can agree they are very comfortable. My biggest concern with it is that it accumulates skin oil easily and requires washing every now and then.

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #1,843 of 2,666
I'm considering these R70x HP and I almost read the whole thread :dizzy_face:. I've read several comparison between R70x and Sennheiser HD6**/HD58X family. What about the new HD560S? These have angled drivers with new driver materials, same sensitivity but a lower impedance (120 ohms). Did anyone had the chance to compare the R70x with the HD560S?

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #1,844 of 2,666
I'm considering these R70x HP and I almost read the whole thread :dizzy_face:. I've read several comparison between R70x and Sennheiser HD6**/HD58X family. What about the new HD560S? These have angled drivers with new driver materials, same sensitivity but a lower impedance (120 ohms). Did anyone had the chance to compare the R70x with the HD560S?
Both headphones are tuned somewhat neutral...but they do not sound alike. The R70X is warm whereas the Sennheiser is bright.
Put another way: If you listen to a lot of different stuff with recordings ranging from audiophile grade to sonic endeavours from the shed...well then I highly recommend the Audio Technica. If you on the other hand only listen to impeccably recorded albums and furthermore dig a bright/detailed sound..well go for the HD560S:)
Personally I vastly prefer the R70X as I find it a far more natural listen. YMMV of course.

Oct 21, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #1,845 of 2,666
Both headphones are tuned somewhat neutral...but they do not sound alike. The R70X is warm whereas the Sennheiser is bright.
Put another way: If you listen to a lot of different stuff with recordings ranging from audiophile grade to sonic endeavours from the shed...well then I highly recommend the Audio Technica. If you on the other hand only listen to impeccably recorded albums and furthermore dig a bright/detailed sound..well go for the HD560S:)
Personally I vastly prefer the R70X as I find it a far more natural listen. YMMV of course.

Thanks for your reply!
I'm looking for an all-purpose HP, or something as close as possible to that purpose. I listen to audiophile as well as bad recordings (bootlegs, etc...).
I mostly listen to classical (baroque, solo instruments, small ensemble, vocal, symphonic orchestra, opera), classic rock, blues, country, folk, singer-songwriter, jazz. No electronica, EDM, synthetic music, rap, hip-hop, metal, etc...
Some owner consider the R70x a bit veiled, which is something I don't like even though I'm not a fan of a bright/cold/analytical signature, I'm more of a mildly warmer signature fan. Generally speaking I don't like a distant sounding, recessed or veiled signature.
Do you consider the R70x veiled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back