Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Jul 26, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #1,817 of 2,666
Greetings! :)
I got an R70x coming my way. Located an early production (2015, purchased by the original owner in 2016) in good condition. This is my 'end game' for a while, joining my AD500x, M40x, and others.
R70X is a perfectly good endgame. After that you can think about source gear. Im not sure how far the infinite scaling meme going with r70x but i do know its very scalable with more power.

Jul 26, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #1,818 of 2,666
R70X is a perfectly good endgame. After that you can think about source gear. Im not sure how far the infinite scaling meme going with r70x but i do know its very scalable with more power.

Thanks Mate. I am using a Burson Playmate for my desktop system, I think that should be a decent base for now.
What amps are known to make R70x sing?

Jul 26, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #1,819 of 2,666
Greetings to everyone!
So I've been using the R70X for a while now and find them to be a very good pair of cans for the money.
Imaging is spot on, extracts tons of details, doesn't sound congested and offers good seperation and soundstage, very nicely textured bass and good sub-bass presence. However the best part is the comfort which is probably the most underrated quality of this headphone.
The thing I did not like is the overly long and poor quality cable. The earcups fit my ears fine but they might be small for some people (or if you're a troll).
In direct comparison to the HD650, these are slightly more "flatter" sounding with non-accentuated mids unlike the 650. Switching between the two, I prefer the R70X for its clear, unveiled sound with better bass than the 650 along with the better comfort.
I would also like to note that most reviewers/users everywhere seem to present contrasting opinions on the type of amplification for these headphones. I found these to be fairly difficult to drive from portable sources and they really came into their own using desktop amplification.
These are relatively analytical when used with solid state amps and they really shine with tubes providing good sub bass and very engaging midrange. The tube amp I'm using allows for impedance matching and I found that doing so provides very good result with the amp having a solid grip on the transducers and really making them sing.
All in all, YMMV with the amplification but in the end, no matter what amp you use, if you're using a dedicated desktop amp you'll surely be satisfied.
These are a perfectly good stopping point for any midfi setup and a benchmark for resolution and neutrality in the sub 500usd price point.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #1,820 of 2,666
Thanks Mate. I am using a Burson Playmate for my desktop system, I think that should be a decent base for now.
What amps are known to make R70x sing?
I think hooster said somewhere before that bright leaning/neutural amps are the way to go and i agree with him. I currently use the iHA6 which i find really nice. Although im pretty sure the playmate is good enough. For about a year i was using the fiio k5 pro and was satified with the sound.

Jul 27, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #1,822 of 2,666
I would have thought that ought to be a good match.

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #1,825 of 2,666
Oh yeah you got it used. You didnt get to exprence the meme that is 90% foam 10%headphone.
Hows the fit by the way?
Yes but it came with the box and all the papers. Did you mean the foam lining in the box? Yeah I see what you mean there. The fit for me is rather tight hehe. I have a large head. The 3D wing almost get pushed to the headband. The earpads are smaller than I anticipated, again, my reference is AD500x, which is very comfy.
How was your experience?

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #1,826 of 2,666
Yes but it came with the box and all the papers. Did you mean the foam lining in the box? Yeah I see what you mean there. The fit for me is rather tight hehe. I have a large head. The 3D wing almost get pushed to the headband. The earpads are smaller than I anticipated, again, my reference is AD500x, which is very comfy.
How was your experience?
Fit is really good for me. At least good enough to use as a main headphone for a couple of years and now when I want a bassy open back that I can chill to while I work on my stuff. Although the wings almost touch the headband same as yours.
Just curous how do you find the female vocals? People coming from the ADX00x line might find it a tad blend.

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #1,827 of 2,666
Fit is really good for me. At least good enough to use as a main headphone for a couple of years and now when I want a bassy open back that I can chill to while I work on my stuff. Although the wings almost touch the headband same as yours.
Just curous how do you find the female vocals? People coming from the ADX00x line might find it a tad blend.
Hi @llysender sorry life got in the way.
I've found that the vocals are more forward in my AD500x, that's even the first comment my wife made. It is not as forward as AD500x, but I wouldn't say it's bland. It's because the music is also detailed and the overall presentation has a heavier bass than my AD500x, giving female vocals more weight, therefore less presence.
Does that make sense? I hope that's somewhat useful. :)

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #1,828 of 2,666
Just got my xlr cable after shipping hell from china. I'm now of the impression that the more power you give it the more the treble opens up and the flatter it gets. Still doesnt image as well as the AWKT but details are only slightly less reveling when runing balanced on a iHA-6 on hi gain. Has a interesting smoothness to the sound as compared to the very clean cutoffs of the AWKT.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #1,829 of 2,666
Just got my xlr cable after shipping hell from china. I'm now of the impression that the more power you give it the more the treble opens up and the flatter it gets. Still doesnt image as well as the AWKT but details are only slightly less reveling when runing balanced on a iHA-6 on hi gain. Has a interesting smoothness to the sound as compared to the very clean cutoffs of the AWKT.
What were you using to drive them before? I feel like I'm getting enough power through my Schiit Magni Heresy, but I've been getting the balanced itch ever since I got the R70x.

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #1,830 of 2,666
What were you using to drive them before? I feel like I'm getting enough power through my Schiit Magni Heresy, but I've been getting the balanced itch ever since I got the R70x.
Fiio k5 pro and then cayin iha-6. The sound is actually different between the 2wpc single ended where the the sound has more mass and bass behind it and it sounds like the treble is damped just nicely so that spikes dont hurt the treble sensative and the 7wpc balanced where it loses alot of its subbass rumble for very clean subbass and is alot lighter and more etherial sounding kind of like a semi estat but without the perfect imaging of estats.

I think ill swap back to single ended from time to time as its just fun with that feeling of DD slam esp one as forceful as the r70x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back