Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
May 14, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #1,726 of 2,666
I tend to agree, Silver. Fwiw, DIY makes its argument in favor of their approach here, under the section entitled Different Measurement Techniques...
Good to know his thoughts. Also, his analysis on why Innerfidelity compensated plots are interesting. I also find that if you compare Tyll's HATS rig results to Rtings, the treble looks rolled-off on Tyll's results. You can see this when you Google around for AQ Nighthawk measurements. Same with Tyll's HD600 RAW response.
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/ He stopped blogging and then Speakerphone shows up in 2015. Coincidence?

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #1,727 of 2,666
Harman has revised it's in-ear target (green curve) again btw to remove the shelving in the treble since this 2017 plot was made.

180603-Overlaid%20Harman%20target-responses.png

I don't have a picture of the new in-ear curve, but according to Sean Olive it is similar to the treble of the around-ear curves shown above. And also intended only as a rough guide.

https://twitter.com/seanolive/status/1254212522770493440

Current Harman curves from here. Again, only intended for rough estimation purposes. Esp. if using a different HATS measurement system than the one employed by Harman.

EX_z4f1U8AA8V6_

May 17, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #1,729 of 2,666
May 17, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #1,730 of 2,666
Be very careful when getting replacement cable for R70x as the headphone connectors are extremely deep and the locking mechanism is very specific. I have purchased cables previously that said they were for R70X and still did not fit/work correctly.

May 26, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #1,735 of 2,666
It's impossible for me to put it into words, for my listening desires, this headphone isn't just the best I've ever heard, it's the best by huge margin. Everything is just perfect for me, I can listen to these all day, no sibilance at all for me yet the treble is still where I want them to be, the bass is shocking, I can't believe open dynamics could have bass like this. There is absolutely no mid-bass muddling that plagues the HD650 and HD58x. I don't mind that the soundstage is smaller than K712/AD900x, cause the imaging is spectacular.

I love listening to these for EDM and metal more than my A900z. I love listening to classical with these more than Senns or K712. I love listening to female vocals on these more than AD900x. I just ****ing love these headphones.

These headphones are dangerous. I just want to crank the volume, these are hazardous to my hearing.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #1,737 of 2,666
It's impossible for me to put it into words, for my listening desires, this headphone isn't just the best I've ever heard, it's the best by huge margin. Everything is just perfect for me, I can listen to these all day, no sibilance at all for me yet the treble is still where I want them to be, the bass is shocking, I can't believe open dynamics could have bass like this. There is absolutely no mid-bass muddling that plagues the HD650 and HD58x. I don't mind that the soundstage is smaller than K712/AD900x, cause the imaging is spectacular.

I love listening to these for EDM and metal more than my A900z. I love listening to classical with these more than Senns or K712. I love listening to female vocals on these more than AD900x. I just ****ing love these headphones.

These headphones are dangerous. I just want to crank the volume, these are hazardous to my hearing.
Call me nitpicky, but I wish the bass went down deeper, although pretty good bass for an open-back. I guess no sibilance goes in hand with graininess with low resolution. Electronica sounds very good, but I do wish for more defined upper-mids for various other genres.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #1,738 of 2,666
There is absolutely no mid-bass muddling that plagues the HD650 and HD58x. I don't mind that the soundstage is smaller than K712/AD900x, cause the imaging is spectacular.
Agreed. The R70X is a much more interesting/fun listen than the Sennheiser headphones you mentioned.

I never felt HD 650 either, they are not necessarily a bad headphone but I just dont think they deliver enough for their price (let alone original msrp of $499) compared to more modern offerings. K712 Pro (here in EU), DT 880 and 400i are considerably cheaper and are equal or maybe even slightly superior in some ways. I think 6XX (supposedly the same headphone) at $200 might be priced more reasonably. R70X sounds loosely similar but to me improves in pretty much every sector, maybe Senns sounded a bit more "refined" but imo too smoothed and polite overall. I dont care if R70X sounds "grainier", I like the sound having some bite on it. :smirk: I actually think that R70X just delivers more faithful production of the sound where as Senns are tuned to give slightly smoothed out/colored response which probably appeals more to many. But to me R70X combines transparency and musicality excellently so I think you get best of both worlds with it. :)

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #1,739 of 2,666
I never felt HD 650 either, they are not necessarily a bad headphone but I just dont think they deliver enough for their price (let alone original msrp of $499) compared to more modern offerings. K712 Pro (here in EU), DT 880 and 400i are considerably cheaper and are equal or maybe even slightly superior in some ways. I think 6XX (supposedly the same headphone) at $200 might be priced more reasonably. R70X sounds loosely similar but to me improves in pretty much every sector, maybe Senns sounded a bit more "refined" but imo too smoothed and polite overall. I dont care if R70X sounds "grainier", I like the sound having some bite on it. :smirk: I actually think that R70X just delivers more faithful production of the sound where as Senns are tuned to give slightly smoothed out/colored response which probably appeals more to many. But to me R70X combines transparency and musicality excellently so I think you get best of both worlds with it. :)
I thought R70X was the more polite than the 6XX. I didn't think R70X had more bite either, but slightly more roll-ed off in the highs. R70X is probably highly polite of a response, even more so than the 6XX. 6XX being less polite due to more of presence in the upper-mids in terms of tonal richness and resolution, seeming more forward.

May 26, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #1,740 of 2,666
I thought R70X was the more polite than the 6XX. I didn't think R70X had more bite either, but slightly more roll-ed off in the highs. R70X is probably highly polite of a response, even more so than the 6XX. 6XX being less polite due to more of presence in the upper-mids in terms of tonal richness and resolution, seeming more forward.

Well it might be then that 6XX doesnt sound exactly like 650 because thats how I remember 650 sounding like. I do agree that Senns are more forward in the mids which I dont like, I prefer the more neutrally placed mids of ATH. Perhaps I have to listen my friends 650 again, its been a while!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back