Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Jan 26, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #1,216 of 2,666
Yeah, I think the R70 do emit some noticeable background noise. You also need raise the volume high to get a decent level. Compared to Hifiman 400, I prefer the latter for its more engaging and clear sound.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #1,218 of 2,666
To fellow ATH-R70x owners,

You owe to yourself to try your R70x with the WA3 tube amp. I would even hazard to claim that the WA3 + R70x combo is arguably among the best pound-for-pound.

(BTW I am using a Chord Hugo as my line-level DAC.)

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #1,219 of 2,666
  To fellow ATH-R70x owners,

You owe to yourself to try your R70x with the WA3 tube amp. I would even hazard to claim that the WA3 + R70x combo is arguably among the best pound-for-pound.

(BTW I am using a Chord Hugo as my line-level DAC.)

I find this intriguing. One of the few cases I have seen where the headphones themselves feel vastly out of proportion from the rest of the chain.

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #1,220 of 2,666

I find this intriguing. One of the few cases I have seen where the headphones themselves feel vastly out of proportion from the rest of the chain.

Don't be surprised when I say this: I got the WA3 specifically just for the R70x, after enjoying so much what I heard with demo units of such at one of the local stores. I also have an HD600 and I think that the R70x is a much better match, synergy-wise, for the WA3 compared to the HD600.

That's why I'm really surprised why the R70x isn't getting that much mileage from the audio community. Here is a pair of full-sized, open-back headphones that scale really well with the equipment you pair with it. Yes, it's a PITA to drive given its high impedance rating but once you have the necessary gear to push beyond that barrier, you're rewarded with arguably the best sound for each dollar spent (provided the R70x's sound signature is up your alley. 

I am not hyping this product; i think considering that this has been released for more than a year already, that is moot and academic. I am just stating a fact: this is a great pair of headphones, especially if you can get it for the cheap. :)

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #1,221 of 2,666

Don't be surprised when I say this: I got the WA3 specifically just for the R70x, after enjoying so much what I heard with demo units of such at one of the local stores. I also have an HD600 and I think that the R70x is a much better match, synergy-wise, for the WA3 compared to the HD600.

That's why I'm really surprised why the R70x isn't getting that much mileage from the audio community. Here is a pair of full-sized, open-back headphones that scale really well with the equipment you pair with it. Yes, it's a PITA to drive given its high impedance rating but once you have the necessary gear to push beyond that barrier, you're rewarded with arguably the best sound for each dollar spent (provided the R70x's sound signature is up your alley. 

I am not hyping this product; i think considering that this has been released for more than a year already, that is moot and academic. I am just stating a fact: this is a great pair of headphones, especially if you can get it for the cheap. :)

I would agree. Just a great value for the dollar. I got mine around Black Friday for just under $200 and felt like that I stole them. Scales well from solid state to tube amps (Crack for me). 

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #1,223 of 2,666
These things are amazing. Great engineering in all areas.

I encourage others to plug the Sonarworks FR calibration DSP into their digital audio chains. It's like opening a window...
I liked it so much I even bought the plugin after trial ended

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #1,225 of 2,666
Hi, please can you help me choose DAC+AMP to r70x, which I'm considering to buy? The DAC would be plugged to PC or cell phone via USB. The options are:

1) Schiit Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber
2) Schiit Modi 2 Uber + Valhalla 2
3) Pro-Ject Head Box DS
4) Creative Soundblaster X7

Thanks!

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #1,226 of 2,666
  Hi, please can you help me choose DAC+AMP to r70x, which I'm considering to buy? The DAC would be plugged to PC or cell phone via USB. The options are:

1) Schiit Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber
2) Schiit Modi 2 Uber + Valhalla 2
3) Pro-Ject Head Box DS
4) Creative Soundblaster X7

Thanks!

There you go. Alternately consider: building a bottlehead Crack or Jotunheim with a balanced cable for the r70x. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back