Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Sep 12, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #451 of 2,666
wow thats a really good deal....
good job!

I almost didn't believe it myself until I held it today when they delivered it haha.

So far, the Caiman admirably drive it, and I get some very nice warmish fatigue free sound out of this cans. I agree with all the review so far, including the negative ones. Though Imo, it also has upper mid lift that's done very very tastefully, just enough to make female vocal sounds sweet but not too overbearing, shouty or sibilance. Far cry from the day of AD900 lol.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #452 of 2,666

I've heard both the R70x and Ether on my home setup (not at the same time, but some weeks apart from each other), but the amp I used, the Garage1217 Project Polaris, was pretty obviously far from ideal for either of them. While I did hear the R70x much better amped by the Project Ember (with a 6SN7 tube), I can't say the same for the Ether, as I have yet to properly hear it from an amp that can drive it effectively.

I consider both headphones to be somewhat close to "neutral" and along the same sonic lines of the discontinued Grado HP1000—integrated, cohesive imaging with a strong mid-range (though the R70x may have more fullness & body throughout, along with quite a bit more mid-bass, while I suspect the Ether may be just a marginally bit thinner-sounding) with somewhat rolled-off low bass and high treble. Also, both the R70x and Ether lacked roughly the same amount of clarity to my ears (though probably the R70x was a bit worse, in retrospect).

I definitely think a formal direct comparison between the R70x and Ether would be pretty interesting. And I'd recommend a strong amp for such a comparison btw, since the R70x really needs a powerful amp and the Ether does as well. Something along the lines of either the Schiit Lyr or Project Ember (with a high-gain tube) at minimum.

I've had mine for several months now and have auditioned them on a variety of amps (Liquid Carbon, O2, C5Dac, E12a, WA6/7 (6 was my pick of these two), Leckerton, Rag, Lyr 2 (Tube and SS), EC Studio). These cans scale very well and my personal End Game stack up for these is the Gungnir Multi-bit with the Mjolnir 2 with SS Tubes. The Gumby pulled out that much more detail and the Mojo seemed to power it to listenable levels at about 10 o clock and the SS balanced out the warmth of the R70x. This is a fantastic set up if you get the chance to pair it up. I would be happy with this stack if the R70x is the last pair i buy. Such a sweet pairing! 
happy_face1.gif

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #454 of 2,666

I've found that when it comes to Audio-Technica especially, "upgrading" from the budget headphones to the expensive models doesn't always result in effects that you'd expect. For that reason, IMO Audio-Technica is one of the riskiest brands to buy from in general. You never really know what you're going to get from them. Most other brands have some degree of sonic consistency within their line, but the only sonic consistency I've found with Audio-Technica is that nearly everything is actually inconsistent. I'd go so far to say that anyone who thinks Audio-Technica has a house sound hasn't heard enough Audio-Technica headphones!
tongue.gif

On the other hand, Audio Technica has been making reliable, high quality products since...ever. Their phones may not rock some boats, may even be boring, but they never do anything excessive like boomy bass that drowns everything or peaky trebles and sonic daggers. Check out their MSR7. Straight from my iPhone 6, it gave one of the most pleasing, soothing sound among all these eager-to-please headphones coming out of the woodwork. 

Sep 19, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #455 of 2,666
I personally think they did just that with all of their cans I've ever auditioned, (M50, AD900, W1000, A1000X), there's always some sort of weird coloration going on, until I hear R70x that is. Haven't heard MSR7 though.

Sep 19, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #456 of 2,666
  I personally think they did just that with all of their cans I've ever auditioned, (M50, AD900, W1000, A1000X), there's always some sort of weird coloration going on, until I hear R70x that is. Haven't heard MSR7 though.

MSR7 is an excellent bright headphone. It might be too bright for many people, but actually it has excellent technicalities, excellent detail retrieval and resolution.

Sep 19, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #457 of 2,666
Don't tempt me man, gonna hold on this R70x and save some cash for some fullsize endgame stuff. I'm just going to assume that MSR7 is too bright for me (although judging from the graph, I can probably handle that much).
tongue.gif

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #458 of 2,666
  Don't tempt me man, gonna hold on this R70x and save some cash for some fullsize endgame stuff. I'm just going to assume that MSR7 is too bright for me (although judging from the graph, I can probably handle that much).
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #459 of 2,666
tongue.gif

lol...this thing will never end!!!! once you bought a headphone, you will start thinking about another headphone...
deadhorse.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #460 of 2,666
  lol...this thing will never end!!!! once you bought a headphone, you will start thinking about another headphone...
deadhorse.gif

Well there are ways to stop doing that, like concentrating on another hobby, or just stop visiting audio sites and think that the cans you have are already the best. The first option can be even more expensive though depending on what hole you're descending into.
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #462 of 2,666
Fellow Canadians, you can get the R70X for $349 CAD ($263 USD) from NCIX as they have a 15% off coupon AT15 that you can use at check out. Everywhere else sells for $399-$449 CAD.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/audio-technica-ath-r70x-professional-open-8d-106486-1660.htm

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #463 of 2,666
  Fellow Canadians, you can get the R70X for $349 CAD ($263 USD) from NCIX as they have a 15% off coupon AT15 that you can use at check out. Everywhere else sells for $399-$449 CAD.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/audio-technica-ath-r70x-professional-open-8d-106486-1660.htm

Thanks for sharing that. I have a pair already, but if someone doesn't... this seems like the time to correct that.

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #465 of 2,666
Does the E17k could drive R70x to the acceptable sound?

Should i buy an amp first and then buy a DAC later? i'm planning to plug it direct to the laptop headphone out - O2/Magni2 (priced 150$ at my country)
Or a DAC/amp like E17k (140$) and buy an amp later?

Which is more p/p? My budget for DAC/amp is only bellow 150$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back