Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Jul 10, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #347 of 2,666

I was wondering about that.   I use my AD700 for movie watching and was wondering how these compared in that area. 
Even though sound stage depth is smaller, would you consider these a sound upgrade to the AD700's?

If you ignore soundstage, then yes they sound better in all regards in my opinion. They'll sound different too though, less bright and more warm, but I like it.

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #348 of 2,666
  What material are the cups? not the grill, I know that's metal but the outside where the headphone connects and surrounding.

If you're asking about the pad materials:

"ALL Headphones sold by ATUS (Audio-Technica United States) are vegan-friendly except the following:

ATH-CKW1000ANV (leather case)
ATH-W5000 (leather earpads)
ATH-W3000ANV (leather earpads)
ATH-ESW9A (leather earpads)

The Audio-Technica ATH-R70x Headphones are not made with any animal byproducts; the earpads are not leather. The earpads we use are made with a vinyl-based or polyurethane-based material that we refer to as leatherette."

i checked with their site Q&A

The material is REALLY soft.

Jul 10, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #349 of 2,666
Hello! R70x lovers.
I have EQed HD800 today by using Behringer DEQ2496.
Heavily EQed HD800s can sound as natural as R70x sound!!! lol
but for me, R70x sounds more more natural than EQed HD800.  
I also found that HD800s famous harsh highs are treatable by digital EQing.
Thanks!

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #350 of 2,666
  Hello! R70x lovers.
I have EQed HD800 today by using Behringer DEQ2496.
Heavily EQed HD800s can sound as natural as R70x sound!!! lol
but for me, R70x sounds more more natural than EQed HD800.  
I also found that HD800s famous harsh highs are treatable by digital EQing.
Thanks!

A nice try! My experience with EQing my T1 was pretty good, EQed T1 sounds slightly better than R70x.

You have Behringer DEQ2496?  You do mastering?

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #351 of 2,666

A nice try! My experience with EQing my T1 was pretty good, EQed T1 sounds slightly better than R70x.

You have Behringer DEQ2496?  You do mastering?

earfonia! Thanks for reply!
Okay I will also try EQing my T1 later! Yes I have DEQ2496. DEQ2496 is  very good products! I highly recommend.
I dont mastering etc. I am just a Japanese headfi audiophile since 1980's.
beyersmile.png

My first purchased Headfi high end product was STAX SR Lambda signature. very old STAX! They are already brokened. ;(

cheer 

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #352 of 2,666
Sort of a cross-post between the other mega R70x thread, but I've decided to sell mine, it's listed here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/774053/audio-technica-ath-r70x

Not sure how many others here have tried the R70x with tube amplifiers as some thought it might sound a little too dark or veiled however, pairing these headphones with my newly acquired Earmax Silver Edition OTL class A triode amp turned out to be a glorious experience.  All of the balanced tonality from top to bottom of the R70x was maintained.  It conveyed all of the increased sound stage depth, beautiful organic midrange and airy highs that good tube amps deliver.  This experience was of course using NOS tubes that cost half of what I paid for the amp.

I recently found the Garage1217 tube hybrid amps (Ember 2 and Solstice) to drive it very well too. The Ember 2 in particular was an amazing pairing with a 6SN7, really made it come alive.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #353 of 2,666
I got JDS O2 amp(customed low gain setting 1x and 2.5x) today.

setting
Marantz SA11S3 -RCA out-> JDS Objective2 --> R70x 

O2 and R70x combo work great at 1x gain, no need to use 2.5x gain.but at 2.5x gain setting sound more lively and 3D.
but with 02 amp, treble sound little bit harsh at low gain setting. but very clear sounding no blur at all.
someone may prefer this sharp sounding.
EDIT; my brain has been adjusted!lol I now like O2's sound signature very much, O2 has very clear ultra resolution!Highly recommend!

thanks!

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #354 of 2,666
Has anyone tried R70X with Brainwavz velour earpads? Do they fit perfectly? Are they more comfortable than stock pads? Is there any sound difference?
I noticed that they will be on amazon lightning deal in about 2 hours and I am wondering if I should get them.

Thank you!

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #355 of 2,666
  Has anyone tried R70X with Brainwavz velour earpads? Do they fit perfectly? Are they more comfortable than stock pads? Is there any sound difference?
I noticed that they will be on amazon lightning deal in about 2 hours and I am wondering if I should get them.

Thank you!

Hi pjyi, thanks for asking!

Just tested for you:

The Brainwavz HM5 earpads perform surprisingly well on ATH-R70x!  It is bigger and more comfortable 
L3000.gif

The HM5 earpads are oval, and R70x frame is circle, so need some stretching to fix them to R70x. But still doable.

The sound signature is shifted to the treble side, overall tonality is brighter than the original stock earpads. Not much brighter, just nice, still within natural sounding category. If someone needs treble boost on R70x, the HM5 earpads does it naturally in a nice way.
Bass is slightly leaner, but still pretty good, and also less warm. Overall is pretty good, another nice variation of sound signature we can get from R70x 
wink_face.gif

Personally I still prefer the sound signature of the stock earpads, but HM5 signature is interestingly pretty good as well, and it is more comfortable for people with larger ears.

FYI, my review on Brainwavz HM5 Earpads:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-hm5-velor-memory-foam-replacements-earpads-suitable-for-many-other-branded-large-over-the-ear-headphones-akg-hifiman-ath-philips-fostex/reviews/12533

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #356 of 2,666

Hi pjyi, thanks for asking!

Just tested for you:

The Brainwavz HM5 earpads perform surprisingly well on ATH-R70x!  It is bigger and more comfortable 
L3000.gif

The HM5 earpads are oval, and R70x frame is circle, so need some stretching to fix them to R70x. But still doable.

The sound signature is shifted to the treble side, overall tonality is brighter than the original stock earpads. Not much brighter, just nice, still within natural sounding category. If someone needs treble boost on R70x, the HM5 earpads does it naturally in a nice way.
Bass is slightly leaner, but still pretty good, and also less warm. Overall is pretty good, another nice variation of sound signature we can get from R70x 
wink_face.gif

Personally I still prefer the sound signature of the stock earpads, but HM5 signature is interestingly pretty good as well, and it is more comfortable for people with larger ears.

FYI, my review on Brainwavz HM5 Earpads:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-hm5-velor-memory-foam-replacements-earpads-suitable-for-many-other-branded-large-over-the-ear-headphones-akg-hifiman-ath-philips-fostex/reviews/12533

Hey Earphonia,

Thank you so much for taking your time to answer my question! :)

It sure was helpful. I went ahead and made an order.

I will write a short review once I receive the pair.

Cheers!

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #357 of 2,666

That's quite a stack of Yulong you have there! Bit off topic, but how do you like them? To keep on topic, how do you like them with the R70x?  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back