Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Jun 9, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #256 of 2,666
Jun 10, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #257 of 2,666
Today I purchased schiit magni & modi combo and I am so happy that I did.
Neutral to a little cold sounding schiit combo balances out with warm sounding r70x and it sounds much better than fiio e17.
It's a completely different experience. 
I am looking forward to try other amp/dac in the near future.

I have a question tho: do you guys EQ for these headphones?? and what are other amp/dac you would recommend for r70x?

Thank you!

Jun 10, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #258 of 2,666
  I have a question tho: do you guys EQ for these headphones?? and what are other amp/dac you would recommend for r70x?

Thank you!

On EQ, earfonia has already did EQ setting recommendation simple 3dB up on highs if you are listening to classical music. I did it and works very fine for me.
Please read earfonia's review sound quality section again.

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #259 of 2,666

I'm happy without EQ for the most part. For amps I only have portables, but find the Objective2, C5 (Cayin), E12A and Aune B1 all drive the R70x very, very well. Would like to pick up a desktop, but for now am satisfied.

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #261 of 2,666

I'm happy without EQ for the most part. For amps I only have portables, but find the Objective2, C5 (Cayin), E12A and Aune B1 all drive the R70x very, very well. Would like to pick up a desktop, but for now am satisfied.

thank you for your recommendations!
I was actually thinking of getting O2 except that I heard they sound very similar to what I have (magni) and it costs more.

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #262 of 2,666
  thank you for your recommendations!
I was actually thinking of getting O2 except that I heard they sound very similar to what I have (magni) and it costs more.

Not having tried the Magni, I can't comment on that. One thing that I like about the O2 is that it has a battery, so is "transportable."

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #263 of 2,666
  Today I purchased schiit magni & modi combo and I am so happy that I did.
Neutral to a little cold sounding schiit combo balances out with warm sounding r70x and it sounds much better than fiio e17.
It's a completely different experience. 
I am looking forward to try other amp/dac in the near future.

Thank you!

Good to know! Thanks for your feedback!
Yes, when paired with matching amp, R70x performs much better.

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #264 of 2,666
  Just reposting my experience from elsewhere: I recently got these, people in the store praised them, including fellow customers. Somebody remarked that they don't do anything right or wrong. That's exactly what tonal neutrality is. Finally, no part of my music is presented as more important than any other; nothing is emphasized or understated. The sound is simply effortless. Soundstage and imaging are great. Out of all the Beyerdynamic DT880/990/770/T1, Sennheiser HD800/650/600/598, AKG K702/812/712, Fostex TH500RP/TH900, Shure SRH1840, HiFiMAN HE-500 and a few others that I've heard in my life, only SRH1540 gets slightly close to ATH-R70x in sounding right to me. More people need to know about the ATH-R70x for sure. Ya'll better get it now before it's a total rarity! DAmn they sound so fine. Loving vocals and live performances. I'd love to hear a headphone that outperform these.

It is quite rare for a headphone with such a flat and neutral tonality. But still speed and detail can be improved from R70x. But tonal balance wise it is top notch.
When I review AT-HA5050H, and pair it with T1, in my opinion that combo T1 + HA5050H outperforms R70x, but we are talking of a $ 7k combo here.

Agree with your statement:
"General Sound Signature
To echo the other reviews: these are very neutral-sounding cans. That is, there’s no particular frequency range that seems either pushed or recessed. I’m really looking forward to seeing good measurements on this because the impression I have is that the frequency response is very flat. Not bright, not dark, just neutral. Well, maybe just a small touch of warmth, but it’s pretty subtle. I’m very familiar with the Audio-Technica V-shaped “house sound” and these do not have that. It’s a whole new sound signature for AT."

Very nice review, thanks!

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #266 of 2,666

It is quite rare for a headphone with such a flat and neutral tonality. But still speed and detail can be improved from R70x. But tonal balance wise it is top notch.
When I review AT-HA5050H, and pair it with T1, in my opinion that combo T1 + HA5050H outperforms R70x, but we are talking of a $ 7k combo here.

I want a HA5050H for my T1~~~but too expensive...my wallet...oh well...lol 
L3000.gif

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #267 of 2,666
So i have been using r70x with magni/modi combo for a couple of days now. I really like the sound except for some songs, it sounds a lil too bright and can get grainy at times. Should I go ahead and try Vali?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back