Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Feb 8, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #1,232 of 2,666
  Hi, please can you help me choose DAC+AMP to r70x, which I'm considering to buy? The DAC would be plugged to PC or cell phone via USB. The options are:

1) Schiit Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber
2) Schiit Modi 2 Uber + Valhalla 2
3) Pro-Ject Head Box DS
4) Creative Soundblaster X7

Thanks!

Modi MB + Valhalla 2 could be a perfect match 
smily_headphones1.gif

Modi MB + Magni 2 Uber for an reasonable price.

I'd go with JDS Labs Element for "all-in-one" purpose.

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #1,234 of 2,666
  Anyone bother to give these headphones a real review with proper measurements and sensible wording?

Not with that attitude. 
rolleyes.gif

Post #1 pretty much sums the R70x quite well. There's also Lachlan's review.
Here are Tyll's measurements.

If that isn't enough, then get the R70x and review it yourself.
No one really know your definition of a "real review".

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #1,235 of 2,666
  Anyone bother to give these headphones a real review with proper measurements and sensible wording?

Depends how "real" you want it, I suppose.
Here's a review from Sonarworks: http://blog.sonarworks.com/studio-headphone-review-audio-technica-ath-r70x/
Aside from being misinformed about the cable - no channel labels because they're L/R signal independent - everything else seems honest enough, but do bear in mind that Sonarworks' primary objective is the sale of their calibration software.

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #1,238 of 2,666
Does anyone happen to know the pad dimensions or how it stocks up to the K240? (outer diameter 4.1" (104mm) with opening 2.2" (55mm))?

Apparently the Shure 1540 pads aren't a bad option for replacement: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4z2zm4/update_shure_1540_pads_on_athr70x/

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #1,240 of 2,666
So far, what is the best replacement pads for R70x? Which don't change the sound much.

I had to take off the top wings (I call it my "big head mod") and bend the outer metal to fit better. They are so light, it didn't need wings. Even then I couldn't get them to reach fully to the bottom of my ears with the stock pads so I needed a solution that would fit longer. So I got these. http://www.nvx.com/earpads They are more soft than the Brainwavz HM5 pads (that also work on these cans. They now fit perfect, I can wipe skin oil off vs the absorbent stock material, the frequency response did not seem to change. I'd gotten the less expensive non-angled versions, I think angled versions work. A little stretching, and careful fitting, and it is on.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #1,242 of 2,666
  I had to take off the top wings (I call it my "big head mod") and bend the outer metal to fit better. They are so light, it didn't need wings. Even then I couldn't get them to reach fully to the bottom of my ears with the stock pads so I needed a solution that would fit longer. So I got these. http://www.nvx.com/earpads They are more soft than the Brainwavz HM5 pads (that also work on these cans. They now fit perfect, I can wipe skin oil off vs the absorbent stock material, the frequency response did not seem to change. I'd gotten the less expensive non-angled versions, I think angled versions work. A little stretching, and careful fitting, and it is on.

Thanks for your suggestion!

I'm living in the tropical country, -It is hot all the time, i'm afraid that the leather pads could make me sweat. 
Should i buy both the NVX & the HM5 hybrids pads? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #1,243 of 2,666
 Thanks for your suggestion! I'm living in the tropical country, -It is hot all the time, i'm afraid that the leather pads could make me sweat. Should i buy both the NVX & the HM5 hybrids pads? 
smily_headphones1.gif

You could get the hybrid or the ones that are velour. I'm not sure how well they'll preserve the bass. If you don't mind a little less bass, the velour can work.

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #1,244 of 2,666
Hi guys, I'm the guy who wrote that mean post up there. Well, after a difficult decision process, I ended up ordering the R70Xs! It's not another piece on my mantle, this will be my only serious pair for hopefully a very long time, hence the difficulty in making the decision. 

I actually wanted a pair of Audio Technicas for quite some time, but the European prices for the Air series were always quite rip-offish. The R70X is the exception to the rule, being very well priced in the region. Plus, I ended up needing a headphone that was a good reference pair as I began to dabble in making music again. They will be arriving within a week, so come on guys, make me feel real good (or perhaps I should say, even better) about my choice. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back