Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
May 13, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #91 of 2,666
Thought I'd post brief comments on the R70X.  I'll get right too it.  I'm not a fan. I've only had them a couple of days and I will allow them to break in.  Whether they will change their sound, or I my opinion I do not know.  For my taste the unit is far too warm (in the lower mids) and does not provide the ultimate in clarity.  For their price range, I think the R70x is very good. Perhaps at this point I prefer a slightly bright sound, but I always felt my preference was neutrality and I do not feel these headphones are neutral.  Clear?  yes.  Crystal clear?  no.

The unit is full-bodied, perhaps too full bodied with a slight softness that reduces the slam factor.  Midbass is plentiful and can be palpable when called for.  Slam is good, but not great.  One comment others have said that I agree with - this headphone is certainly a deviation from the ATH headphones I've heard in the past.

May 14, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #92 of 2,666
Thought I'd post brief comments on the R70X.  I'll get right too it.  I'm not a fan. I've only had them a couple of days and I will allow them to break in.  Whether they will change their sound, or I my opinion I do not know.  F[COLOR=3B3B3B]or my taste the unit is far too warm (in the lower mids) and does not provide the ultimate in clarity.  For their price range, I think the R70x is very good. Perhaps at this point I prefer a slightly bright sound, but I always felt my preference was neutrality and I do not feel these headphones are neutral.  Clear?  yes.  Crystal clear?  no.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=3B3B3B]The unit is full-bodied, perhaps too full bodied with a slight softness that reduces the slam factor.  Midbass is plentiful and can be palpable when called for.  Slam is good, but not great.  One comment others have said that I agree with - this headphone is certainly a deviation from the ATH headphones I've heard in the past.[/COLOR]

From your description, the DAC and Amp you used probably on the smooth warm side. As mentioned in my review, warm amps are not suitable for R70x. I don't find it satisfying with my Yulong DA8, and I prefer to pair it with the ifi stack.

R70x clarity is on the borderline, so even a little warmness from the amp will bring down the clarity below the acceptable borderline. So it is a must to pair it with neutral to analytical amps.

Yes, for those looking for clarity and transparency, and expect something close to T1 and HD800, no, R70x is not for you. R70x is for someone who like HD650, but would like to have a little more clarity than HD650.

OOT:
For those looking for transparent and clear sounding open headphone at reasonable price, I found Philips SHP9500 to be a very good choice. For the price, I think it is simply no brainer.

May 14, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #94 of 2,666
Based on what I have read, the k7xx and hd650 sound similar. Since the k7xx seem to have more treble would they sound similar to the r70x headphones.

Will know in a week when my R70x arrives...

May 14, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #95 of 2,666
Based on what I have read, the k7xx and hd650 sound similar. Since the k7xx seem to have more treble would they sound similar to the r70x headphones.

I haven't get the chance to hear k7xx.

Will know in a week when my R70x arrives...

Looking forward to your impressions! 
regular_smile .gif

May 14, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #97 of 2,666
  In your HA-2 review you commented that they were able to be powered by it. Can the E12a power the R70x?

I guess you're referring to @twister6 review of Trasam HA-2+
I haven't heard of HA2+, so cannot comment. 
But right now, while writing this reply, I'm listening to ATH-R70x driven by Fiio E12DIY (Op-Amp OPA827 + Buffer LME49600), using Fiio X3 2nd gen line out,... Wow Wow Wow.... why I didn't try this combo before... honestly I'm mightily impressed by this combo driving R70x!!!  Almost as good as the ifi stack!!!

So if E12a is about as powerful as the Fiio E12DIY, yes, it would have enough voltage swing to drive R70x.
My listening volume for the above combo is approximately 12-1 pm (High gain).

May 14, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #98 of 2,666
  In your HA-2 review you commented that they were able to be powered by it. Can the E12a power the R70x?

E12A is designed for lower impedance IEMs, but it can still drive R70x though gotta push it harder.  I liked how R70x paired up with Cayin C5 amp better.

It's all a matter of a personal taste, there is no right or wrong.  We all hear things differently and it's all good!

May 14, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #99 of 2,666
From your description, the DAC and Amp you used probably on the smooth warm side. As mentioned in my review, warm amps are not suitable for R70x. I don't find it satisfying with my Yulong DA8, and I prefer to pair it with the ifi stack.

R70x clarity is on the borderline, so even a little warmness from the amp will bring down the clarity below the acceptable borderline. So it is a must to pair it with neutral to analytical amps.

Yes, for those looking for clarity and transparency, and expect something close to T1 and HD800, no, R70x is not for you. R70x is for someone who like HD650, but would like to have a little more clarity than HD650.

OOT:
For those looking for transparent and clear sounding open headphone at reasonable price, I found Philips SHP9500 to be a very good choice. For the price, I think it is simply no brainer.

I get what you are saying.  But part of the reason I walked away unimpressed is that I tried it on equipment I would typically consider neutral or bright and always felt, regardless of the equipment I used, that the overall sound was warm.  I tried the headphone connected to a Grado amp, a GS-X MK2, and I cannot recall for sure, but I think i also tried it on my Oppo HA-1 DAC/headphone amp. The more likely scenario is that my hearing is skewed towards desiring of a bright sound (everything is relative and I've been listening to Grado PS500E, McIntosh MHP1000, and other headphones I'd consider bright and clear.  I find that sometimes like units can also have slight variance and perhaps I just got a slightly warmer model.   Perhaps the thing that rings the truest with what you said was that my expectation was not realistic (my words not yours).  Comparing them to HD800s, HE-6, MHP1000, Grado GS1000E, PS500E, and other high priced phones is probably an unfair comparison.

May 14, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #100 of 2,666
I get what you are saying.  But part of the reason I walked away unimpressed is that I tried it on equipment I would typically consider neutral or bright and always felt, regardless of the equipment I used, that the overall sound was warm.  I tried the headphone connected to a Grado amp, a GS-X MK2, and I cannot recall for sure, but I think i also tried it on my Oppo HA-1 DAC/headphone amp. The more likely scenario is that my hearing is skewed towards desiring of a bright sound (everything is relative and I've been listening to Grado PS500E, McIntosh MHP1000, and other headphones I'd consider bright and clear.  I find that sometimes like units can also have slight variance and perhaps I just got a slightly warmer model.   Perhaps the thing that rings the truest with what you said was that my expectation was not realistic (my words not yours).  Comparing them to HD800s, HE-6, MHP1000, Grado GS1000E, PS500E, and other high priced phones is probably an unfair comparison.

Yes, we do have different preferences. There is no one headphone that will satisfy everyone.

As T1 and HD800 user myself, i do feel R70x sounds warm at first. But after getting used to it's tonality, and compared to even warmer headphones, i conclude it is close to natural sound.

I'm waiting for Inner Fidelity to do frequency measurement for R70x, to see if what I hear as neutral tonality is really neutral or not. Or is it just brain adjustment. Anyway, it is a little warm as I mentioned in my review, but to my ears, pretty close to neutral tonality.

May 15, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #101 of 2,666
Great review. The way you describe the R70X sounds a bit like of my impressions of my Sennheiser HD580, or a slightly brighter AKG K7XX. It sounds like my sort of sound signature, but the shallow earcups sound to be a bit problematic. I don't like my ears pressing the baffle plates.

May 15, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #102 of 2,666
Great review. The way you describe the R70X sounds a bit like of my impressions of my Sennheiser HD580, or a slightly brighter AKG K7XX. It sounds like my sort of sound signature, but the shallow earcups sound to be a bit problematic. I don't like my ears pressing the baffle plates.

Right, slightly deeper and bigger earpads would be more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back