1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by earfonia, May 2, 2015.
First

Back
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Next

Last
  1. Beagle

My pleasure. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

2. Draulius
    Does this have more or lass bass than the K712 Pro?

3. earfonia

We seem to be on the opposite polarity of sound preferences [​IMG]

A friend of mine, also a head-fi member, came to my place last night for a chat and also testing some gears. He also tested R70x with some amps, DACs, and DAPs.
    His comment about R70x: When he tested R70x for the first time, using ifi micro iDSD + iCAN, it was sounded so good and musical. But when he tried it with other DAC and DAPs, R70x sounds a little dull, not as musical as when driven by ifi micro stacks.

R70x seems to be a lot more picky when choosing DACs and Amps than as I thought before. Something not easy to explain.

Anyway, we all have different preferences and perspective.

What is your opinion about comparing R70x and HD650 ?

4. Triodemode

I'm surprised you found the R70x to be lacking in bass.  The  two amps I paired them with (Marantz PM6005 & iFi micro DSD) produced a nice full and accurate bass response, very nicely balanced across the whole frequency spectrum.

5. hakushondaimao

Likewise with my NR1501. Even with portables like the E12A, O2 and Aune B1 the R70x sing!

6. Draulius
    I just ordered these headphones and they will arrive soon. Going to plug them into my O2/ODAC combo and see how they compare with my AD700's. Will be interesting to see how different these really are from other Audio-Technica headphones. I also listened to the K712's not long ago and will see how they compare with the R70x too.

7. Jeff Y
    Has anyone paired this with the Chord Hugo? I am interested in getting the R70x to use it with my Chord Hugo.
    Thank you.

8. earfonia

Yes! Please post some impressions, thanks!

9. Asr
    I've been posting in the other mega R70x thread (that is, the announcement thread) so as to not hijack this review thread, but I've had my R70x for almost a week and have been comparing its performance on three of Garage1217's amps that I happen to have on hand right now—the Project Polaris, Solstice, and Ember 2.

I have to majorly dissent that it needs a linear or neutral-sounding solid-state amp, as has been claimed so far. The R70x sounded the "worst" (comparatively, not that it sounded terrible) on the Polaris, but it sounds amazing with the Ember 2 w/ 6SN7. It's such a difference that it's obvious the R70x benefits a lot from proper amplification. (I'm using the proper matched settings for the R70x btw, with high output R and high gain where configurable.)

It's also surprisingly easy to make the R70x's bass distort but that's another subject..... [​IMG] 

10. earfonia

Thanks for sharing! Would love to hear more from you [​IMG]

11. Pokemonn

I have just ordered an ifi microiDSD at amazon! LOL
    Thanks you for your advice earfonia!
    I hope ifi amp helps my R70x!

12. AfxTwn
    I'm thinking of getting a pair of these for use with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 audio interface and wondered if they'll sound ok seeing as people seem to get different results depending on what they're paired with. I want to use them for both music production/mixing and general music listening.

I've also been recommended some Alessandro MS2i's but I don't know if they'll be any better. Also in the mix are some Philips Fidelio X2's and AKG K712's.

Thanks.

13. maikuirock

I personally don't think the O2 drove them very well when i plugged in at THE show. Like to hear a 2nd.

14. earfonia

I own Focusrite Saffire LE before, headphone output was quite good, but already sold long time ago, so never tried with R70x. But not sure Scarlett 18i20.

15. earfonia

Hope you like it [​IMG]

First

Back
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Next

Last