Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 9, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #901 of 1,047
They seem to be getting better and better. These headphones are easy to drive, but more power (LPGT) seems to unlock a special magic. 20220909_213855.jpg

Sep 14, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #902 of 1,047
Does anybody know, where to get a better cable apart from amazon?
I live in the UK
Cheers.

https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/

I got mine from him, awesome cables they don't tangle like the stock cables do. Just email and ask him for advice he is a great chap and very helpful and from UK.

I did post a review on my single sleeve sandstorm custom cables( think it was roughly £130) I got from him try searching for my name and post it was on this thread few years back, pricey but so worth it since the msr7bs are just that good.

Sep 14, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #903 of 1,047
Has any msr7b owners tried those new Gel "Cooling" replacement pads?

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...lebeach-hyperx-sennheiser-oppo-monoprice-more

Replacement pads are tricky since they can change the sound quality, but at this point my pads get so warm even after 1-2 hours I need regular breaks inbetween, these Gel cooling pads appear to try and fix the overheating and sweat issue or at least helps it just unsure if there any good?

Sep 15, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #904 of 1,047
https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/

I got mine from him, awesome cables they don't tangle like the stock cables do. Just email and ask him for advice he is a great chap and very helpful and from UK.

I did post a review on my single sleeve sandstorm custom cables( think it was roughly £130) I got from him try searching for my name and post it was on this thread few years back, pricey but so worth it since the msr7bs are just that good.
Try maybe ebay or aliexpress if you want to go cheap. you may need to get addapters too. I didn't try yet, but I was about to, now my money have to go to other more important things.
thanks for this post, as I have other cable which looks better like Kimber make. I just need adapters from AT input to normal one. Cheers

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #905 of 1,047
Well ordered the brainwavz cooling gel soft replacement pads for £16 with discount with £4 shipping so £20.

Its been my no1 niggle with the msr7bs the pads just soak up my body heat and outside heat causing hot ears, summer is far worse though but it effects in winter cold also, so hopefully they cool gel pads fix or help that issue without changing the sound factor too much.

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #906 of 1,047
Has any msr7b owners tried those new Gel "Cooling" replacement pads?

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...lebeach-hyperx-sennheiser-oppo-monoprice-more

Replacement pads are tricky since they can change the sound quality, but at this point my pads get so warm even after 1-2 hours I need regular breaks inbetween, these Gel cooling pads appear to try and fix the overheating and sweat issue or at least helps it just unsure if there any good?
I use other brands of cooling gel earpads on other headphones, but not on the MSR7B. I did feel the YAXI MSR7 Comfort Earpads with their Alcantara were less hot than the stock earpads, though they aren't cheap at $40:

https://www.amazon.com/YAXI-MSR7-Comfort-Earpads-Black/dp/B07P17DDZN

My experience with cooling gel earpads has been on the Massdrop x Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO and the KLH Ultimate One, where I can say that the cooling gel initially does feel really cool, but that over time the temperature equalizes and I'm not sure how much it helps to keep things cool if you wear them for a long time. If you think about it, any object that feels cool (metal, ceramic, etc.) is just a heat conductor. In a room, metal and ceramic are the same temperature as wood or a blanket but wood and a blanket feel warm because they are insulators. So you have to ask yourself, if there is cooling gel in a headphone earpad, where is it conducting the heat to? It doesn't many places to go, and ultimately your circulatory system will bring more warm blood to your ears and the sides of your head as the heat is conducted away, until the cooling gel foam warms up to the same temperature as your body, at which point I think heat management has to do with how breathable the earpad and headphone is (if the heapdhone is open back that can help with the heat). The cooling gel earpads I'm using on those headphones are:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802933963844.html

The thing I like about them is the memory foam and the covering on the part of the earpad that touches your head is a I think a fine, soft nylon. Conforming and comfortable. I think they might help a little bit with heat long term? Not sure how much exactly. Like I said, feels very cool when you first put the heaphones on for sure. There is a similar design in an oval earpad, by Krone Kalpasmos:

https://www.amazon.com/Krone-Kalpasmos-Cooling-Gel-Headphones-Compatible/dp/B07JZK792S

I remember trying them on the MSR7B and not liking them as much as the YAXI MSR7 Comfort Earpads.

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #907 of 1,047
Well, my safe locked me out, so I don't have access to any of my audio players or headphones.

Big time music lover

Sep 24, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #908 of 1,047
After spending some time now with the YAXI Comfort pads, I'm finally back to stock pads.
I really enjoyed them but I found they change the original sound too much for my taste.
The YAXI's are definitely pushing the mids at a point that it iwas irriting my ears. I had to play with the EQ but I generally don't like to "cheat" with my headphones.
I really like the original sound from the stock earpads. Everything is way much more coherent, bass is way more present, and glad to find back the rumble and slam it was missing. Mids are excellent, highs are crystal clear again with some yet nice details back.
Now that the summer is finished, its no more a problem to get some warmth again on my ears :) comfort is also still very good.
Definitely still enjoying (back) my MSR7b's, they excels in every genre of music I'm listening to.

Sep 24, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #909 of 1,047
After spending some time now with the YAXI Comfort pads, I'm finally back to stock pads.
I really enjoyed them but I found they change the original sound too much for my taste.
The YAXI's are definitely pushing the mids at a point that it iwas irriting my ears. I had to play with the EQ but I generally don't like to "cheat" with my headphones.
I really like the original sound from the stock earpads. Everything is way much more coherent, bass is way more present, and glad to find back the rumble and slam it was missing. Mids are excellent, highs are crystal clear again with some yet nice details back.
Now that the summer is finished, its no more a problem to get some warmth again on my ears :) comfort is also still very good.
Definitely still enjoying (back) my MSR7b's, they excels in every genre of music I'm listening to.
I love mine. My next purchase is Meze 109 Pro open back headphones.

Sep 25, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #912 of 1,047
The 109 Pro is a fantastic headphone. I still have the MSR7B here, and they're great headphones for everyday use - but the 109 Pro are in a totally different tier.
I am looking forward to comparing it to my Shure SRH1540.

Sep 25, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #913 of 1,047
The 109 Pro is a fantastic headphone. I still have the MSR7B here, and they're great headphones for everyday use - but the 109 Pro are in a totally different tier.
Which one of both two are the best all-rounder for *almost* all music genres ? I think the MSR7b is really a hard competitor in this domain.
Compared to the 109 Pro, do it has more sub-bass than the MSR7b ? I would like to have some details in the "totally different tier" if possible :)

Sep 25, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #914 of 1,047
I use other brands of cooling gel earpads on other headphones, but not on the MSR7B. I did feel the YAXI MSR7 Comfort Earpads with their Alcantara were less hot than the stock earpads, though they aren't cheap at $40:

https://www.amazon.com/YAXI-MSR7-Comfort-Earpads-Black/dp/B07P17DDZN

My experience with cooling gel earpads has been on the Massdrop x Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO and the KLH Ultimate One, where I can say that the cooling gel initially does feel really cool, but that over time the temperature equalizes and I'm not sure how much it helps to keep things cool if you wear them for a long time. If you think about it, any object that feels cool (metal, ceramic, etc.) is just a heat conductor. In a room, metal and ceramic are the same temperature as wood or a blanket but wood and a blanket feel warm because they are insulators. So you have to ask yourself, if there is cooling gel in a headphone earpad, where is it conducting the heat to? It doesn't many places to go, and ultimately your circulatory system will bring more warm blood to your ears and the sides of your head as the heat is conducted away, until the cooling gel foam warms up to the same temperature as your body, at which point I think heat management has to do with how breathable the earpad and headphone is (if the heapdhone is open back that can help with the heat). The cooling gel earpads I'm using on those headphones are:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802933963844.html

The thing I like about them is the memory foam and the covering on the part of the earpad that touches your head is a I think a fine, soft nylon. Conforming and comfortable. I think they might help a little bit with heat long term? Not sure how much exactly. Like I said, feels very cool when you first put the heaphones on for sure. There is a similar design in an oval earpad, by Krone Kalpasmos:

https://www.amazon.com/Krone-Kalpasmos-Cooling-Gel-Headphones-Compatible/dp/B07JZK792S

I remember trying them on the MSR7B and not liking them as much as the YAXI MSR7 Comfort Earpads.

thanks and yes I did consider similar it does feel like the cooling vs heat would be temporary effect.

However I have now used them for a week the brainwavz gel pads, these ones here

My Review:

They are cooling pretty well, I can use them much longer like 2-3 hours without the heat or sweat from the ears occurring. However yeah there more open design and leaking sound bit more, so they don't fully seal like the original msr7b pads do.

Also for music lovers, they are worse for sound quality then the original pads.

The quality of the original msr7b pads are also a level above the brainwaz, just more soft and better quality but they also flake and wear out after a while, I don't think the brainwavz will flake as bad its more durable and tougher looking but time will tell if that is true or not.

Overall I don't recommend the brainwavz gel pads for music listeners, but for gamers and long box set/movie watchers its good.

I don't really listen to music as much as before more TV and movies so its perfect for myself.

Sep 26, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #915 of 1,047
Which one of both two are the best all-rounder for *almost* all music genres ? I think the MSR7b is really a hard competitor in this domain.
Compared to the 109 Pro, do it has more sub-bass than the MSR7b ? I would like to have some details in the "totally different tier" if possible :)
Listening to them both now each direct from Mojo 2. The comparison isn't really fair to be honest - one is an open back headphone, the other is closed back. One is 200 Euros the other is 800 Euros. But nevertheless....

- MSR7B to me sounds very good for 200 Euros headphone. I have long since championed this headphone. It's clean sounding, with reasonably good technical performance. Imaging especially is quite good. Detail retrieval is a bit soft and soundstage is intimate. Overall timbre to me is quite balanced, but overall lacks refinement and texture. For me, the MSR7B is like a headphone that has the ingredients of an excellent headphone but without being able to bring these ingredients to fruition.

- 109 Pro: Moving to 109 Pro. Everything is better. What does this mean? It means: more depth in every aspect of the FR: bass has better extension with more detail, mids have more texture and refinement with much better layering, top end is smoother with a more natural response. Technically, also a totally different performance - layering, imaging, soundstage, detail, accuracy, speed, etc. On sub-bass, yes - 109 Pro hits harder and reaches low.

In sum, they're both good as all-rounders, but clearly the 109 Pro will perform better. I have not encountered a genre that didn't sound good on the 109 Pro. For me, the MSR7B - again - is a good headphone, but it's also a budget headphone so performs within those parameters. 109 Pro, on other hand, I could see as some people's "endgame" without having to quibble about other headphones.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back