Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 22, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #31 of 1,047
for someone who needs quickie review comparison between SE and B, I found one at kakaku and you can just head there and read for yourself, as my Japanese as broken as google translate

http://review.kakaku.com/review/K0001088709/

it's the one from the bottom
A few mixed reviews in there. Big surprise lol. Commonalities I saw in comparison to the original -
Treble is a bit more relaxed
Bass quantity is slightly greater, though one reviewer stated it was a bit loose.
Not a particularly wide Soundstage
Female vocals are rendered nicely
One person said the cans are better suited for classical over rock
One person believes they sound somewhat like the msr9.
I read quite a bit of Japanese reviews on fishing gear, so I kinda understand most of what was written.

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #33 of 1,047
Jan 10, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #35 of 1,047
I downloaded the newest version of Audacity and I bought Audio Technica it Produced the background sounds in a song really well and it felt like the audio was more 3d dimensional because I can hear the audio "move" in my ears. In terms of clarity of the sound, I thought it was pretty average. Nothing special. They required a much higher volume level to give me the right amount of volume.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #37 of 1,047
I ordered a pair from Audio 46 last night. Will receive on Saturday & I just got the original MSR7 from eBay last week! I guess I should've held off a little bit longer. Lol.
Keep us posted please! Still holding off until I hear some impressions and observations. Hope you love them!

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #38 of 1,047
Can't wait for more reviews. I'm ready for another closed pair. I had the MSR7 and returned them, thought they were surprisingly bass anemic, was baffled how a closed AT could have less bass than their open air AD900x.

I'm interested in the AT A990Z as well. Hoping for a decent comparison of these B versions to the A990Z.

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #40 of 1,047
Should I get SR9 or MSR7B? Also, how wide is the soundstage compared to Z7M2 or 1AM2?

Don't know the answer but can tell you soundstage is going to be awful with any portable, circumaural, on ear or iem.

If you want closed/isolation, soundstage is out. Best you can expect is maybe A990z, K553 or DT770 in this price range.

Jan 27, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #41 of 1,047
Don't know the answer but can tell you soundstage is going to be awful with any portable, circumaural, on ear or iem.

If you want closed/isolation, soundstage is out. Best you can expect is maybe A990z, K553 or DT770 in this price range.
Even MSR7s are with better soundstage then DT770. Im pretty sure MSR7b will be with very good soundstage in this price range if not one of the best.

Jan 28, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #42 of 1,047
Even MSR7s are with better soundstage then DT770. Im pretty sure MSR7b will be with very good soundstage in this price range if not one of the best.

Interesting because I would say the opposite. Both pitiful either way regarding SS.

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #43 of 1,047
(SSandDigital) I would not be so quick to say SS is pitiful on all that you have stated, unless you have heard ALL that is available in said classes. That being said MSR7 are regarded as a set of phones with good soundstage leaning towards a focus on the midrange/ highs sounds. Besides what you hear chances are no one else hears the same way, It's all subjective.

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #44 of 1,047

So you're classifying the msr7 as an on ear? Soundstage isn't the end all imo. It really depends on what you listen to, and how you prefer it be presented. With Rock and Metal, it is of my opinion that a deep and wide stage can really muck things up. That forward, aggressive nature can be pretty much gone at times. Both the Thinksound On2 (on ear), and Beoplay H6 actually have a decent and respectable stage for a closed back.

Jan 28, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #45 of 1,047
(SSandDigital) With a lot of terminology in the audio world often loosely defined, using inaccurate and emotional terms like “pitiful” probably does not add to your argument.

I think of soundstage as the way a system let’s you perceive space with the sound, and therefore consists of mainly three parts: imaging, separation, distance (maybe airy-ness too). Do keep in mind that this is just my opinion, but offering context in a discussion can be helpful.

I owned MSR7s and currently own MSR7b and AD1000X. Honestly IMO the “soundstage” with MSR7b while more “sealed” is quite comparable to my AD1000X, even “deeper” forward (and MSR7s not far behind either). Many will argue that the AD series are not known for wide soundstage among open headphones but still, regarding imaging and separation they are respectable. They might not offer much in terms of “distance”, but with the way human ears perceive sound in nature, the sense of distance often comes with two things: low volume and low definition.

If what you meant by “pitiful” was that they don’t sound “huge”, then headphones in general aren’t for you. Headphones can never compete with speakers for “huge” sound, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that they offer higher definition and better imaging. To me soundstage is much more than just “size”, but that’s just my opinion and you can disagree.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back