Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 19, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #17 of 1,047
Yes, but you talk about MSR7 not MSR7b right? Because the MSR7b's are not available yet.

Hi Nikolay Vutov,

So glad you posted this - because the pair I posted about just above
are not, evidently, the new "b" version. FWIW they are listed as the
'Sonic Pro' version in 'BK' (black).

Sorry about that misinformation.

Now I'm wavering between sending them back or keeping them.
They do actually fit me, as noted.
And the sound quality is very good indeed at the price
point (about 200 USD no tax, including shipping).

Thanks again.

Nov 19, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #18 of 1,047
Hi Nikolay Vutov,

So glad you posted this - because the pair I posted about just above
are not, evidently, the new "b" version. FWIW they are listed as the
'Sonic Pro' version in 'BK' (black).

Sorry about that misinformation.

Now I'm wavering between sending them back or keeping them.
They do actually fit me, as noted.
And the sound quality is very good indeed at the price
point (about 200 USD no tax, including shipping).

Thanks again.

You can try the "b". Maybe they will fit you better.

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #21 of 1,047
These look like a more stylish Sony MDR-1AM2 which intrigues me greatly. I love my 1AM2! Do these compare in price to the Sony as well? Roughly $300 retail?

Dec 6, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #24 of 1,047
I've never tried the SEs but my guess is the drivers are slightly tweaked. AT usually doesn't just put in the exact same drivers. Also I've tried the Sony 1AM2s in store before, and speaking just from memory I think the 1AM2 and MSR7b do have some similarities, but as usual Sony gives more bass. I'd say the MSR7b has tighter, more controlled bass and overall sound is more refined. Soundstage feels more well defined than 1AM2. But 1AM2 sounds more colorful and engaging in some tracks. Both are excellent, but I think I still wouldn't really see these to as being the same type of sound. To me MSR7b sounds more like a mix of MSR7 and the original 1A: a more refined MSR7, or a more exciting and punchy 1A.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #26 of 1,047
to be honest, I'm also quite piqued about this, has anyone compared them?
I heard the B one has better earpads, and extra balance cable, even though they both shared DLC diaphragms and the site mentions that there is an improvements too in the Frequency Response: 5 to 50,000Hz

These look like a more stylish Sony MDR-1AM2 which intrigues me greatly. I love my 1AM2! Do these compare in price to the Sony as well? Roughly $300 retail?

Audio-Technica’s new MSR7b is priced at MSRP US$250 and will be available for purchase in Singapore from October 2018 onwards. or so they said on their site
http://sea.audio-technica.com/happenings/2018-08/audio-technica-introduces-ath-msr7b-–-next-generation-high-resolution-headphones

Can someone please compare msr7b to msr7se ? there s a deal $150 for msr7se. Thank you.
btw care to share where is the deal, in my country all of them was around $200

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #28 of 1,047
The deal is only last for 1 day on indonesian online marketplace called tokopedia and I sadly i didn't buy that for my msr7 replacement.

Thanks fellow citizen from Indonesia,lol

Hi guys, I was on a short trip to Tokyo last week and picked up a pair of these.
I also own a pair of the original MSR7s.
I believe the "b" stands for balanced as it is one of the biggest changes over the original MSR7s.
However I don’t have a balanced setup yet so the impressions below is without balanced.

Some first week impressions:

1. Comfort
Easily the best improvement over the originals.
Weight is significantly less and so is the clamp.
Out-of-the-box clamp was less than my already stretched out MSR7s.
Softness of the pads kind of remind me of the Sony 1A line,
but there is still some AT-ish clamp to it.
I somehow like this fit over the 1AM2 because of the more secure feel.

2. Design
Noticeably smaller profile than the originals, and the headband is much thinner but much softer.
I though the design choice of extending the colors all the way around would look cheap,
but they look really good in person.

3. Sound
Very similar signature to the MSR7s,
but bass to me sounds a bit deeper and more detailed.
Vocals (mids) were a bit recessed and therefore sounded a bit dark out of the box,
but they quickly brightened up after some listening.
Mids and highs are clean as before and imaging is outstanding,
but the overall sound is a bit smoother than the MSR7s.
A good improvement for those who found the original being a bit harsh,
and overall I'd say it's a well polished version of the MSR7s.
They're definitely still not for bassheads, AT has the solid bass line for that.
But overall I find it a good successor to the MSR7s with improvements in the right areas.

Also I'd like to mention that they come with a really different carrying pouch this time,
IMO much better than the bags AT used to throw in.

sounds like SE ver impression from reddit :L3000:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7o3eue/audiotechnica_athmsr7se_vs_msr7_impressions/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back