Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jan 9, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #2,671 of 2,803
Maybe he likes the MSR7 a lot. I had the ATH-M70x and the Shure SRH1540 side by side with the MSR7, and to me ears, the MSR7 sounded better, both the M70x and SRH1540 were better build and miles ahead in comfort (especially the Shures), but to me the MSR7 sounded a lot better, more lively. To be honest I wouldn't spend that much on a DAC, most DACs this day perform really good (see audiosciencereview), but a good amp is more noticeable. For a portable unit, I would recommend the Topping NX4 DSD, but you can get a better amp if you plan to use as a desktop only.

It's got some character to it for sure, like all great AT cans. Personally if I had money to spend I'd go for a ATH-ESW11, or whatever their new variant is. Odd to say it, but the headband of MSR7 is its weak point, and it becomes a bigger problem when you are considering it for long term portable use. For that reason alone I wouldn't build a system around them. The ESW line fares much better in that regard, their sound is also more amiable to long term listening, warmer, though not as detailed. I actually have an ESW9 and a MSR7, and have considered selling the MSR7 as I was considering downsizing, but wouldn't only because you can't get much for them. I have them purposed for "studio" use, they work well for that. Neither of the two scale all that well, is my impression, spend $200-$400 on a DAC/AMP combo of your choice, or a nice DAP, no real need to go any further.

Jan 9, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #2,672 of 2,803
I ended up selling my 7s a while back. They were staggering headphones for detail and I even intended keeping them on that premise alone. Even probably to the point of being the most I've ever heard detail from any recordings on any piece of equipment (and Im not shy in saying I've owned more than I should have over the years :)) .

However after a while I just thought regardless how mind-bogglingly detailed they are I just never used them. No matter how I eq'd them or with what I listened to them on I just did not enjoy listening to them. I even much preferred the more true to life tonality of their lesser cousin the ath-m40x, not as detailed but a much better can IMO and those are still here.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #2,673 of 2,803
I had MSR7 some years back and MSR7B now, it is much lighter, build quality is a bit so-so, still creaky. Comfort is improved.

But I much prefer MSR7B sound, more textured and layered in the bass, still bright, but slightly smoother imo.

It is a great sounding headphone, audition it given the chance.
Ok but the B version dont have a warmer sound than the old version ? or more emphasized sub-bass ?

Jan 11, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #2,674 of 2,803
Ok but the B version dont have a warmer sound than the old version ? or more emphasized sub-bass ?

Audio-Technica_ATH-MSR7_GM_review.png

Jan 25, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #2,675 of 2,803
Anyone noticed a weak input connector when you insert the 3.5mm mini jack of cable ?
the outlet seems weak, the cables' mini jack connector is unpluggable too easilly, like sighly too large.
When it was new was not so hard but now after 1 moths is weak, if i pull sigly the cable it can be disconnected

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #2,676 of 2,803
Anyone noticed a weak input connector when you insert the 3.5mm mini jack of cable ?
the outlet seems weak, the cables' mini jack connector is unpluggable too easilly, like sighly too large.
When it was new was not so hard but now after 1 moths is weak, if i pull sigly the cable it can be disconnected

--

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #2,677 of 2,803
yes i notecid a very very good sound quality, perfect for me but the closed concept make my ear very hot after only a few minutes ( and we are in winter, i dare not think what can happen in summer ), and make bad to my ear cartilage.

Feb 26, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #2,678 of 2,803
I haven't listened to my MSR7 for at least 2 years. I did it today, they are bright AF. I feel they are brighter than my HD800 or my DT 1990 Pro.
I feel they are still capable headphones, just a tad not so clear vocals, but they are cripsy sounding in the highs.
The bass is very shy, that's how it sounds from a very very clean source. If you actually get bass from these, then you just have a bad source.

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #2,679 of 2,803
I had the same impression from different sources but as soon as I plug it in my Huawei tablet or my NAD D3020 it is a completely different headphone - much more balanced with more bass and less highs. Depends on source I guess and it's very picky.

Feb 26, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #2,680 of 2,803
I haven't listened to my MSR7 for at least 2 years. I did it today, they are bright AF. I feel they are brighter than my HD800 or my DT 1990 Pro.
I feel they are still capable headphones, just a tad not so clear vocals, but they are cripsy sounding in the highs.
The bass is very shy, that's how it sounds from a very very clean source. If you actually get bass from these, then you just have a bad source.
Yeah they sound grating almost now if I ever listen to them.

Feb 26, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #2,681 of 2,803
Interesting

Feb 27, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #2,682 of 2,803
I have some really nice sources and while they aren't bassy, their bass is clean and actually digs pretty deep. Excellent extension. Sounds stupid, but sometimes hair ruins a good seal, could this be the case? They're bright and their bass definitely isn't emphasized, but its really linear, no rolloff until pretty darn low.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #2,683 of 2,803
Sorry guys a simple question, I own a m40x and dt770 and quite happy with both, would like buy this cans, ws1100is or some other recommendations to use in the subway. Are this Msr7 good enough for metal, metalcore, Hardcore and EDM? I luv detailed and crisp sound
Thanks in advance

Mar 19, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #2,684 of 2,803
Sorry guys a simple question, I own a m40x and dt770 and quite happy with both, would like buy this cans, ws1100is or some other recommendations to use in the subway. Are this Msr7 good enough for metal, metalcore, Hardcore and EDM? I luv detailed and crisp sound
Thanks in advance
I think so. Definitely detailed and crisp. Much more so than the M40. If you want throbbing bass for your edm, not gonna happen here. Of your genres, I only listen to metal, and think the Msr7b is solid.

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #2,685 of 2,803
I think so. Definitely detailed and crisp. Much more so than the M40. If you want throbbing bass for your edm, not gonna happen here. Of your genres, I only listen to metal, and think the Msr7b is solid.
For those interested in pad rolling, you can improve bass response with the MSR7b by using Dekoni Sheepskin Earpads. I have several brands, but the Dekoni version seem to have the best reaction in terms of bass response on the MSR7b.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back