Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Dec 22, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #2,326 of 2,803
Dude.. It's me! We emailed one another about my mods a little while ago. :grinning:

OK. The MSR7 play very well with the Magni 3. You can keep turning it up until your ears explode and the cans will keep pumping out your tunes in the same clarity - just louder. The Magni are like Vidar amps, but for your headphones. Heaps of clean power with no distortion whatsoever. If any distortion comes it will be from the MSR7 just before they melt.

Sound quality is better across the board with my cans anyway. Again, it's a nuanced step up with the better bass extension and treble clarity. I haven't converted my cans back to their original design, so I can't say too much about the way they sound as bought (my apologies). I guess I can do that if you really, REALLY need to know.

On a side note. If you want more bass out of your MSR7 you need to buy bigger pads (such as the HM5) and let your ears adjust to the change by just listening to them for a little while. They'll sound a little anemic at first but my experience is that your ears will adjust and you'll find out how good they can really sound. You just need to take the leap of faith and buy something different and give them a go. You'll need a treble filter for the highs but the bass and airy soundstage will come into their own.

Just do it! You can pull the trigger on $50 and if you don't like them then at least you've given it a try. What's to lose. $50 or the possibility of a step closer to audio nirvana. What's more valuable to you?

Hi! Sorry, i tried to find any post regarding these mods you guys are talking about... Would you be so kind to share what you've done with the rest of the class? :wink:
Greatly Appreciated! I myself is in dire need of a comfort mod...

Dec 24, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #2,327 of 2,803
To cut a very long story short, you need to get some of the following material that will (as was my experience) both lessen the high end emphasis while boosting and enhancing the low end register. The material I chose out of dozens that I tested and re-tested was a fabric fleece - Vlieseline low loft batting volume fleece 248. You may want to try various other volume fleece materials that are available (and there are a few), but for me the low loft batting volume fleece was the best choice. With this type of fleece cut to shape and incorporated into the back of the HM5 leather pads was to my ears quite astonishingly good with the end result (if you include by Fixomull Stretch mod too) possibly being superior than the original headphone's sound signature. I highly recommend that you make the time to incorporate this particular fabric fleece (or something similar) into a new pair of HM5 pads to make your MSR7 sound their best.

The only thing that needs to be noted here is that it's important to let the modifications take some time so that your ears become accustomed to the change in sound. With the HM5 pads and fleece installed, the MSR7s in comparison will at first sound inferior (a little anaemic with extended soundstage and treble), BUT persevere with them, let your ears get accustomed to them. As an experiment, I went back to the original MSR7 pads and of course the sound signature changed, my ears became accustomed to them in a short period of time (five songs is all it took), and I was really enjoying the original ear pads again. They had a closer sound stage that homed in on the dynamic detail that the MSR7s are well known for. Then I changed back to my HM5 and fleece mods and again after about five songs the sound changed from the anaemic sound (when compared directly to the original MSR7s), to the wide soundstage with wholesome bass, detailed mid-range and sparkly treble that I simply adore and will keep for a very long time.

I've tried a number of $500 to $1,000 headphones that I hoped to fall in love with, but nothing has replaced my modified MSR7s. The only exception might be the untried MSR7SE (based on a review from one of our members on this thread). I'm just trying to get the cash together to drop on a pair of these bad boys.

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #2,329 of 2,803
I was going to buy the original MSR7 but I'm now thinking of paying the extra for the Special Edition. It seems the SE is slightly warmer (more bass), but do vocals (particularly female vocals) still sound the same? I listened to the original MSR7 a while ago and really liked how vocals sounded.

Dec 30, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #2,331 of 2,803
Okay this squeakiness is getting on my nerves, could anyone suggest the best type of lube, I could use to fix it, and where exactly should I apply it? (which lube base would be the best?)

I used white lithium grease on all the joints and it worked very well. You do have to do a bit of disassembly though.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #2,333 of 2,803
Could you explain the disassembly part please.
Sure. I'll do my best from memory.
1. Start by removing the earpads. You have to slowly work around the earpad, pulling as you go.
2. There are some screws that should be visible now. 4 of them need to be removed so you can pull the cup apart and get access to the earcup pivots. Careful with the wires. Add a bit of grease to those pivots and reassemble.
3. That might take care of most of the creaking but if it doesn't then the 2 upper pivots need to be greased. Each side has 2 small screws above the pivot. Remove those and you should get access to these pivots. Add a bit of grease and reassemble.

Dec 31, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #2,334 of 2,803
Sure. I'll do my best from memory.
1. Start by removing the earpads. You have to slowly work around the earpad, pulling as you go.
2. There are some screws that should be visible now. 4 of them need to be removed so you can pull the cup apart and get access to the earcup pivots. Careful with the wires. Add a bit of grease to those pivots and reassemble.
3. That might take care of most of the creaking but if it doesn't then the 2 upper pivots need to be greased. Each side has 2 small screws above the pivot. Remove those and you should get access to these pivots. Add a bit of grease and reassemble.
Thanks for the guide! I will do that and hope my problem will go away.

Jan 1, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #2,336 of 2,803
Got a pair of MSR7 GM from amazon a couple days ago! Immediately verified they were genuine based on the pictures of the drivers in the thread previously so thanks for that!

Quick question... I read earlier in the thread someone saying the black and gun metal versions sound different? Is that true or was that incorrect information? The reason I ask is the black ones just went on sale on amazon for about $35 bucks less than what I paid for my GM ones a few days ago. Thinking about ordering them and sending the GM ones back but I want to make sure they sound the same.

Second question, Do you guys know if the MSR7NC sound the same as the regular MSR7 and if they can be used without the NC on? I have a pair of Bose QC15 that are getting old and I like the standard MSR7's so much I am thinking about replacing the Bose with the MSR7NC. The thing I hate most about the bose is they don't work unless the NC is on. I want to make sure the MSR7NC still work as a regular headphone with it off and sound generally the same as my MSR7GM that I just received.

Jan 1, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #2,337 of 2,803
Thinking about ordering them and sending the GM ones back but I want to make sure they sound the same.
I done the same thing. I got the GM ones for 201 euros. Some days after, the black one goes in "amazon choice" for 175 euros instead 199 and i bought it. But it was fake.
I don't see reasons for whitch sound could be different between the two versions, but i'm interested to know if it's so.

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #2,338 of 2,803
I done the same thing. I got the GM ones for 201 euros. Some days after, the black one goes in "amazon choice" for 175 euros instead 199 and i bought it. But it was fake.
I don't see reasons for whitch sound could be different between the two versions, but i'm interested to know if it's so.
I just noticed that the black ones on amazon are from a 3rd party so I will probably stick with my GM ones that I got from Amazon for $169 that I know for sure are real as I inspected the drivers. The sound difference question I had is just from reading through the thread. There was someone many pages back that said that they tried the black ones in a store and then ordered the gun metal ones and they sounded different. I'm not sure how accurate of a test that is though. I wanted to find out if there was any truth to this or not. I guess its a possibility the ones they ordered could have been fakes too.

Jan 2, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #2,339 of 2,803
I just noticed that the black ones on amazon are from a 3rd party so I will probably stick with my GM ones that I got from Amazon for $169 that I know for sure are real as I inspected the drivers. The sound difference question I had is just from reading through the thread. There was someone many pages back that said that they tried the black ones in a store and then ordered the gun metal ones and they sounded different. I'm not sure how accurate of a test that is though. I wanted to find out if there was any truth to this or not. I guess its a possibility the ones they ordered could have been fakes too.
For my experience MSR7 need a long burn-in (about 100 oure or more). So it's difficult to talk about differences between two pairs, listened in two moments and two differents places. I can't believe to it.

Me too I'll keep my GM :wink:

Jan 3, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #2,340 of 2,803
Thanks for the guide! I will do that and hope my problem will go away.
I need to edit my instructions:
3. That might take care of most of the creaking but if it doesn't then the 2 upper pivots need to be greased. Each side has 2 small screws below the pivot. Access to these appears to require the cups be removed so I would suggest doing this during step 2. Remove those and you should get access to these pivots. Add a bit of grease and reassemble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back