Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Sep 4, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #2,221 of 2,803
thanks for your reply. I got a nice deal with MSR7 for 125$, but it didn't meet my expectation for isolation. The air con and fan noise still gets in and ruin my gaming experience. I guess in terms of isolation, nothing can surpass Shure IEMs (which I have used ever since I started getting into audiophile stuff) with the exception of Ety 4S and CIEMs.

True, nothing beats the IEMs in terms of noise insulation. Anyway, the MSR7 are not completely sealed, they have a hole on top of the cups, which lets the noise in and out. You can experiment with some blutack to seal the opening, but you will surely alter the original sound signature...
You could have a look at the Tyll's measurements of isolation for sealed headphones at Innerfidelity. It might give you an idea where to look further...

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #2,222 of 2,803
True, nothing beats the IEMs in terms of noise insulation. Anyway, the MSR7 are not completely sealed, they have a hole on top of the cups, which lets the noise in and out. You can experiment with some blutack to seal the opening, but you will surely alter the original sound signature...
You could have a look at the Tyll's measurements of isolation for sealed headphones at Innerfidelity. It might give you an idea where to look further...
I can't seem to find the hole on top of the cups you mentioned...

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #2,223 of 2,803
I can't seem to find the hole on top of the cups you mentioned...

1.png

Sep 8, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #2,229 of 2,803
MSR7 comes with a 3.5mm detachable cable that is compatible with smartphones however I read that using a lighting cable gives you a better sound quality so should I buy a lighting to 3.5mm cable like THIS one to improve sound quality or it's not true?

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #2,233 of 2,803
no need to buy aftermarket cable. AT provided 3 sets of cables for 3 different usage scenarios. The cable build quality is already very good.
Only is you separate a cable from the connectors. The plugs of both short cables are one of the worst I have seen. The connection on all three portable devices I own is wobbly and the shape of the plug makes it sensitive to even small movement of a cable. And I had two pairs of MSR7.
My DIY Mogami cable with high quality Eidolic connector is a big improvement.

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #2,234 of 2,803
Only is you separate a cable from the connectors. The plugs of both short cables are one of the worst I have seen. The connection on all three portable devices I own is wobbly and the shape of the plug makes it sensitive to even small movement of a cable. And I had two pairs of MSR7.
My DIY Mogami cable with high quality Eidolic connector is a big improvement.
I have 2 MSR7 and don't have any issues you mention.

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #2,235 of 2,803
I have 2 MSR7 and don't have any issues you mention.

Same here (ok, only 1 MSR7), no problems with the cables whatsoever. Solid connection on all the devices I use it with (A&K AK70, Hidizs AP60, Fiio X3 1st gen., Headstage Arrow 4G with the regular short cable, Samsung Galaxy S4/S6/S8 with the headset cable, the long cable I hardly ever use). I swapped the stock cable for the homebrew Mogami cable I made for my V-Moda M100 and there was a difference, but not enough to make me want to make another cable for the MSR7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back