Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Nov 19, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #1,127 of 2,803
Hi, sorry to bother the community.
I have the MSR7 and I love it for around 80% of my music preferences and use, but I want something to complement.
I'm looking for other closed headphones with bigger soundstage, bassier and smoother. 
Someone has experience with the V-moda m100? Meets the conditions?

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #1,128 of 2,803
Hello guys, happy Audio-Technica owners and reviewers.

Planning to use MSR7 with an Oppo HA-2 portable DAC/AMP. Need good sealed headphones for my office set-up.

Now Question : Has someone tried this combo ? Is the synergy good enough, or should I stick with another dac-amp ?

I love most genres from power metal to classical and opera, everything, but hiphop, trance, boom-boom stuff...

My budget is about ~ 500$ for headphones alone or headphones + dac/amp

chekock1 , How about a Sony MDR-1a ? They look like tweens to me, the first likes burgers, the second is a vegetarian 

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,129 of 2,803
The ATH-MSR7 is the best sub-$500 closed headphone "out there".
There is nothing that offers more detail retrieval and balance in this price range , however, you need to be an Audio Technica "sound" fan.....and this means you like bright sounding headphones.
Now, If you want the best natural sounding<> best neutral sounding OPEN headphone that is below $400, then get their ATH-R70X as its incredible.
Its a giant killer,  and is a true "reference" sound headphone .
Its one of the really great headphones ever created and its only $350 USD.
Let me be really clear concerning what the R70X "sounds like".....are you ready..........wait for it...............> ANALOG.
YES.....that's exactly what it sounds like......it sounds like analog sound playing digital music..........so, how cool is that?

here,

try this review, as its the best and most accurate current review of the ATH- R70X headphone, and go ahead and get the free subscription while you are there:)

-
http://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/108/ath-r70x-open-back-reference-headphone/

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,130 of 2,803
  Hi, sorry to bother the community.
I have the MSR7 and I love it for around 80% of my music preferences and use, but I want something to complement.
I'm looking for other closed headphones with bigger soundstage, bassier and smoother. 
Someone has experience with the V-moda m100? Meets the conditions?

I would suggest you try the old ATH-M50 (which I prefer over M50x), in black friday season like this week usually there are some good offers for ATH-M50. It is still a very good sounding model.
Otherwise, you may try Shure SRH1540 which is also a very nice closed headphones with smooth and bassy sound signature.

The ATH-MSR7 is the best sub-$500 closed headphone "out there".
There is nothing that offers more detail retrieval and balance in this price range , however, you need to be an Audio Technica "sound" fan.....and this means you like bright sounding headphones.
Now, If you want the best natural sounding<> best neutral sounding OPEN headphone that is below $400, then get their ATH-R70X as its incredible.
Its a giant killer,  and is a true "reference" sound headphone .
Its one of the really great headphones ever created and its only $350 USD.
Let me be really clear concerning what the R70X "sounds like".....are you ready..........wait for it...............> ANALOG.
YES.....that's exactly what it sounds like......it sounds like analog sound playing digital music..........so, how cool is that?

here,

try this review, as its the best and most accurate current review of the ATH- R70X headphone, and go ahead and get the free subscription while you are there:)

-

Yea agree. But some prefer darker signature than MSR7.
As for the R70x, my review is here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765004/audio-technica-ath-r70x-in-depth-review-impressions

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,131 of 2,803

-

Yes, i agree.
This is why i posted previously that a person who is interested in the MSR7's needs to prefer a bright tonality regarding their headphone listening experience :)......as A-Tech tends to build most of their headphones towards the bright end of the sonic scale...!
This is what is so surprisingly enjoyable about the ATH-R70X's, in that they are very  detailed headphone but they dont over-manipulate the trebles to achieve it.
They are the anti-ATech sound:), but in a very very good way.

I think that here in the digital age most recent headphone enthusiasts have a slightly skewed idea of "audiophile sound" , as everything tends to be far too bright and falsely clear regarding digital sound.
This is why the ATH-R70x's are such a rainbow of revelation.......its because they offer a very natural and neutral sound that some would claim is "laid back" or "tad too soft", but, this is only compared to what most current audiophiles have now come to accept as "audiophile sound" and that is to say, a little too digital sounding or "too bright".
When i listen to the MSR7's (which i really like and happily endorse),  i hear bright analytical top end that is very nicely tweeked, but its not a true audiophile (accurate) sound.
Then, when i listen to the ATH-R70X's, i can hear marvelous details relayed to my ears in a natural presentation that would appear to me as "flat" had i no understanding of the difference between digital sound and natural analog sound.
Ears dont hear in digital, and that is why audiophile headphones are always being accused of being too soft, lush, laid back, treble soft, lacking presence, etc.
The R70x's are not flat, they are instead, natural sounding.
I love um:)

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,132 of 2,803

-

Yes, i agree.
This is why i posted previously that a person who is interested in the MSR7's needs to prefer a bright tonality regarding their headphone listening experience :)......as A-Tech tends to build most of their headphones towards the bright end of the sonic scale...!
This is what is so surprisingly enjoyable about the ATH-R70X's, in that they are very  detailed headphone but they dont over-manipulate the trebles to achieve it.
They are the anti-ATech sound:), but in a very very good way.

I think that here in the digital age most recent headphone enthusiasts have a slightly skewed idea of "audiophile sound" , as everything tends to be far too bright and falsely clear regarding digital sound.
This is why the ATH-R70x's are such a rainbow of revelation.......its because they offer a very natural and neutral sound that some would claim is "laid back" or "tad too soft", but, this is only compared to what most current audiophiles have now come to accept as "audiophile sound" and that is to say, a little too digital sounding or "too bright".
When i listen to the MSR7's (which i really like and happily endorse),  i hear bright analytical top end that is very nicely tweeked, but its not a true audiophile (accurate) sound.
Then, when i listen to the ATH-R70X's, i can hear marvelous details relayed to my ears in a natural presentation that would appear to me as "flat" had i no understanding of the difference between digital sound and natural analog sound.
Ears dont hear in digital, and that is why audiophile headphones are always being accused of being too soft, lush, laid back, treble soft, lacking presence, etc.
The R70x's are not flat, they are instead, natural sounding.
I love um:)

What do you think of Grado's, e.g. the PS500e?

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #1,133 of 2,803

I would suggest you try the old ATH-M50 (which I prefer over M50x), in black friday season like this week usually there are some good offers for ATH-M50. It is still a very good sounding model.
Otherwise, you may try Shure SRH1540 which is also a very nice closed headphones with smooth and bassy sound signature.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765004/audio-technica-ath-r70x-in-depth-review-impressions

Disagree (respectfully, of course)...IMO they're not "bassy".

I guess we should define that term first.

To me, "bassy" headphones (or any "bassy" audio gear will be enjoyed
by "bassheads".
The bass will obscure much if not most of the mids.
etc.

The 1540's don't have these issues.  They do have bass,
but it's controlled and in order.  It does not creep into the
mids at all.

Since this is an AT thread, I want to note that I was pretty
knocked out by the MSR7 > bought them twice, but the
clamping force was just too much to be comfortable.

As for the R70X, I look forward to hearing them.

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #1,134 of 2,803

What do you think of Grado's, e.g. the PS500e?

Honestly, ive never gotten past the "3" series Grados, as i cant deal with on-ear or in ear headphones.
I thought that the Grado sound, at least the ones ive tried, had a very detailed sound, pleasent,  tho perhaps  a bit spiky and too forward for my taste.
However, im absolutely not an authority on anything Grado.:)
Actually...... BeyerDynamic, Ultrasone, and Grado, are the 3 brands that have never really dialed me in., tho ive tried to love them.
Sorry i cant be of more help.

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #1,135 of 2,803

Disagree (respectfully, of course)...IMO they're not "bassy".

I guess we should define that term first.

To me, "bassy" headphones (or any "bassy" audio gear will be enjoyed
by "bassheads".
The bass will obscure much if not most of the mids.
etc.

The 1540's don't have these issues.  They do have bass,
but it's controlled and in order.  It does not creep into the
mids at all.

Since this is an AT thread, I want to note that I was pretty
knocked out by the MSR7 > bought them twice, but the
clamping force was just too much to be comfortable.

As for the R70X, I look forward to hearing them.

Ha ha ha... yea agree that SRH1540 is not basshead headphone, but it is smooth and bassy in comparison to MSR7 
wink_face.gif

Maybe Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro could be one of the option for smooth and bassy headphone?  That still not yet a basshead headphone 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #1,139 of 2,803
  there is msr7 and m70x on sale right now. Any one know if they are good for vocal music ? i love female vocal

The M70X is hugely superior to the MSR7.
Its night and day, its not even a contest.
The M70X is an audiophile headphone and the MSR7 is a  very good "tweeked" consumer  headphone.
So, if you like bright and extended trebles and a little bit of tweeked bass =  the usual Audio Technica  slight V shape EQ presentation then the MSR7 is your excellent headphone. It sounds very good, but its the typical ATechnica sound, which is to say bright and a bit of a "V" Eq'ing.
If you want incredible affordable audiophile sound, especially regarding jazz vocals or any type of pure vocal music, then you definitely  want the M70x.

check out this review.....

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #1,140 of 2,803
   The M70X is hugely superior to the MSR7.
Its night and day, its not even a contest.
The M70X is an audiophile headphone and the MSR7 is a  very good "tweeked" consumer  headphone.
So, if you like bright and extended trebles and a little bit of tweeked bass =  the usual Audio Technica  slight V shape EQ presentation then the MSR7 is your excellent headphone. It sounds very good, but its the typical ATechnica sound, which is to say bright and a bit of a "V" Eq'ing.
If you want incredible affordable audiophile sound, especially regarding jazz vocals or any type of pure vocal music, then you definitely  want the M70x.

check out this review.....

From what I've read the MSR7 was found "Superior" then the M70x and your review is for the open back R70x.
You probley need a DAP and amp to get the best out of them not so with the MSR7.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back