Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Oct 9, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #1,021 of 2,803

Hi guys! I just bought it and I love it, and the only negative thing I can say about it is that I was kinda disappointed with how much sound it let through while I was in public transport (I'm assuming it's cause of the ventilation feature thing, I'm not sure what it's called) and it felt like it was like a semi open pair of headphones. Other than that, it fits me perfectly unlike any other headphones I've tried (excluding headphones with the stretchy band stuff & the sennheiser momentum 2). Can't wait to start using it more often!

Also, I'm hearing a lot more detail and sounds I couldn't hear previously from my really cheap Philips SHE3595PK (which I got for free anyway).

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #1,022 of 2,803
Just curious, is the MSR7 supposed to be a bit leaky while playing at high volumes? (I tried some burn in and there was a bit of sound leakage at a high volume)

Also, how do you clean the earpads when they get dirty or oily?

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #1,023 of 2,803
  Just curious, is the MSR7 supposed to be a bit leaky while playing at high volumes? (I tried some burn in and there was a bit of sound leakage at a high volume)

Also, how do you clean the earpads when they get dirty or oily?

Yes the MSR7 is a bit leaky at high volume because of the way the vents are created to give the headphones that kind of sound quality. All headphones designs are a bit of a compromise. Sine the ear pads are Leatherette cleaning with a warm damp clean cloth will work.

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #1,024 of 2,803

There's always sound leakage when they aren't on your head. That won't be there when you're listening and they're clamped on your head. Also, don't turn the volume up too high for both your health and the health of your drivers.

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #1,025 of 2,803

Hi guys! I just bought it and I love it, and the only negative thing I can say about it is that I was kinda disappointed with how much sound it let through while I was in public transport (I'm assuming it's cause of the ventilation feature thing, I'm not sure what it's called) and it felt like it was like a semi open pair of headphones. Other than that, it fits me perfectly unlike any other headphones I've tried (excluding headphones with the stretchy band stuff & the sennheiser momentum 2). Can't wait to start using it more often!

Also, I'm hearing a lot more detail and sounds I couldn't hear previously from my really cheap Philips SHE3595PK (which I got for free anyway).

Congratulations on getting great headphones.
smile.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #1,027 of 2,803
  Isolation isn't realy important to me, but how is the isolation in the ath msr7 compared to other closed cans?
The only closed headphones I had were the urbaniteon ear, and I find to much isolation

That the first I heard, too much isolation. According to innerfidelity the urbanite is -19db and the msr7 is -15db

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #1,029 of 2,803
  Yes the MSR7 is a bit leaky at high volume because of the way the vents are created to give the headphones that kind of sound quality. All headphones designs are a bit of a compromise. Sine the ear pads are Leatherette cleaning with a warm damp clean cloth will work.

Thanks for the help!

There's always sound leakage when they aren't on your head. That won't be there when you're listening and they're clamped on your head. Also, don't turn the volume up too high for both your health and the health of your drivers.

I didn't know that, thanks! I also listen to music at quite a soft volume, my only concern was disturbing my family in the house during quiet hours at night or early morning while burning in my headphones.

Congratulations on getting great headphones.
smile.gif

Yeah, they're pretty awesome, thanks!

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #1,030 of 2,803

Lol sometimes I think the opposite when I listen to my SHE3590 or even crappy speakers; I discover a part of the song I didn't hear with a higher-end headphone. I'm not really sure but I believe it's a psychological thing, you get used to a certain sound out of a headphone and your brain sorta cancels out what it can't resolve so clearly.

Oct 10, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #1,031 of 2,803
Lol sometimes I think the opposite when I listen to my SHE3590 or even crappy speakers; I discover a part of the song I didn't hear with a higher-end headphone. I'm not really sure but I believe it's a psychological thing, you get used to a certain sound out of a headphone and your brain sorta cancels out what it can't resolve so clearly.

Maybe so, but I'll be fair to my SHE3595 and say its clarity and balance is fantastic, although not so detailed, its price to performance is honestly really amazing.

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #1,032 of 2,803
I am way too lazy to go through the thread... =D How is the bass compared to M50X's bass? Tried my friends new ATH-M50X like two hours ago and the bass was very nice with pop music.

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #1,033 of 2,803
  I am way too lazy to go through the thread... =D How is the bass compared to M50X's bass? Tried my friends new ATH-M50X like two hours ago and the bass was very nice with pop music.

I would say the bass signatures are quite different. The M50x has much more subbass, however it feels kind of bloated. The MSR7 on the other have more controlled bass. It depends on your musical taste, but for instrumental music I prefer the MSR7. For some pop/electronic music maybe the M50x could be preferable, but I would pick the MSR7 anytime. They just sound right. Overall the bass quantity on the MSR7 is not too far behind compared to the M50x. It's deep&slow vs. fast&accurate.

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #1,034 of 2,803

I would say the bass signatures are quite different. The M50x has much more subbass, however it feels kind of bloated. The MSR7 on the other have more controlled bass. It depends on your musical taste, but for instrumental music I prefer the MSR7. For some pop/electronic music maybe the M50x could be preferable, but I would pick the MSR7 anytime. They just sound right. Overall the bass quantity on the MSR7 is not too far behind compared to the M50x. It's deep&slow vs. fast&accurate.

Thanks for your input. I am looking for more fun, more bassy headphones to use at times instead of my ATH-W3000ANV. Perhaps MSR7 would suit this need.

Oct 11, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,035 of 2,803

Thanks for your input. I am looking for more fun, more bassy headphones to use at times instead of my ATH-W3000ANV. Perhaps MSR7 would suit this need.

Not sure about the W3000ANV, but I compared the MSR7 against W1000. W1000 won in comfort, sound-stage and separation. MSR7 edged out the W1000 in treble, which is remarkable. The MSR7 also have more forward vocals and the bass so much more fun and lively. The bass on the W1000 is deep, accurate and present, but it has no body to it (none whatsoever). Overall, quality-wise, I don't see you're missing out anything with the MSR7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back