Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Oct 8, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,008 of 2,803
  That looks really good, but a balanced set of headphones would be better for monitoring, right? If so, should I wait for these to come out or just get the MSR7? Planning to get the MSR7 this saturday (super stoked)

Is the WS1100 semi open?

You never want to mix/master with a bass-heavy monitor (speakers or headphones), because if you do, all your mixes will always come out having weak-sounding bass when played back on a neutral-sounding system.

IMO, the MSR7's are simply the best affordable headphone to mix &/or master with! 
L3000.gif

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #1,012 of 2,803

You never want to mix/master with a bass-heavy monitor (speakers or headphones), because if you do, all your mixes will always come out having weak-sounding bass when played back on a neutral-sounding system.

IMO, the MSR7's are simply the best affordable headphone to mix &/or master with! 
L3000.gif

Awesome, audio technica really did something special with the MSR7. Can't wait to get it tomorrow! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #1,013 of 2,803
I just wanted to re-link to one of my old posts in this thread, where I raved about the MSR7: http://www.head-fi.org/t/738758/audio-technica-ath-msr7-discussion-thread/810#post_11692516

It's nearly 4 months later with the MSR7 now and my opinion hasn't changed—I still think the MSR7 is an amazing headphone! When I first got it, it was really uncomfortable to wear, but those issues have since gone away and it fits me like a glove now.

The MSR7 is so good that I actually use it for all of my music listening now (for every genre), and it's effectively supplanted my AD2K as my go-to headphone for electronica and metal too, which is something I didn't see coming. It's unprecedented that I can use the MSR7 for every single genre of music that I listen to, I've never said that before about any headphones ever! And it's seriously awesome for metal too—the first time I queued up Machine Head's "Bite The Bullet" on it, it was so intensely bad-ass-sounding and just so "metal" that it was insane! That song has never sounded as "metal" as it does on the MSR7, it's like the sonic equivalent of sticking your head out of a car window moving at highway speed!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #1,014 of 2,803
Reading Gizmodo Japan's impressions it seems the WS1100 has quite a different sound than the MSR7 or the M50x for that matter. They mention has laid-back, "delicious" highs. It seems they say it's quite bassy. Correct me if I'm wrong but they seem to be indicating that the headphone will be priced at 25,000 yen (208 USD) but they feel the sound is only worth 20,000 yen (166 USD)

Can someone translate this?

"そしてトップグレードの「ATH-WS1100」。2万5000円という予想価格ですが…主観で言わせてもらえればリーズナブル。2万円台でこの音か…! バスドラとベースがプリップリで気持ちいいんですよ。他の音に混ざることなく完全に分離しているから、リズミカルなトラックのウキウキ感がストレートに伝わってきます。また高域の伸びやかさもデリシャス。5Hz~40kHzの再生能力があり、ハイレゾトラックの魅力も余すことなく鳴らしきるでしょう。

ここ1~2年は、「密閉型なのに音場が広い」というモデルが多くなりましたが、ATH-WS1100は「重低音重視機なのに音場が広い」。これでPerfume聴いたら最高かも!

また耳にしっとりとおちつく装着感がお見事です…。癒されます…。"

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #1,015 of 2,803
"And of the top grade" ATH-WS1100. " Reasonable dare in but is expected price ... subjectivity of ¥ 25,000. Does this sound at ¥ 20,000 table ...! Bass drum and base it feel good a Purippuri. Because they completely separated without having to mix in other sound, cheerful sense of rhythmic track is handed down to straight. Also delicious also high-frequency relaxed of. There is a capacity for regeneration of 5Hz ~ 40kHz, it will sound as possible without exhaustive attractive of high-resolution track.
Here 1-2 years, a model called the "wide sound field to an enclosed" but now many, ATH-WS1100 is "a wide sound field to heavy bass-oriented machine." This be the best if you listened Perfume!
Also is moist and settle superb wearing feeling is your ear .... It is healed .... "

That is the translation. Grammar is hard to translate. The sound quality on the MSR7 still amaze me.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #1,016 of 2,803
  "And of the top grade" ATH-WS1100. " Reasonable dare in but is expected price ... subjectivity of ¥ 25,000. Does this sound at ¥ 20,000 table ...! Bass drum and base it feel good a Purippuri. Because they completely separated without having to mix in other sound, cheerful sense of rhythmic track is handed down to straight. Also delicious also high-frequency relaxed of. There is a capacity for regeneration of 5Hz ~ 40kHz, it will sound as possible without exhaustive attractive of high-resolution track.
Here 1-2 years, a model called the "wide sound field to an enclosed" but now many, ATH-WS1100 is "a wide sound field to heavy bass-oriented machine." This be the best if you listened Perfume!
Also is moist and settle superb wearing feeling is your ear .... It is healed .... "

That is the translation. Grammar is hard to translate. The sound quality on the MSR7 still amaze me.

Yeah that's what came out of Google Translate, but I mean an actual translation from a Japanese speaker.

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #1,017 of 2,803
  I just wanted to re-link to one of my old posts in this thread, where I raved about the MSR7: http://www.head-fi.org/t/738758/audio-technica-ath-msr7-discussion-thread/810#post_11692516

It's nearly 4 months later with the MSR7 now and my opinion hasn't changed—I still think the MSR7 is an amazing headphone! When I first got it, it was really uncomfortable to wear, but those issues have since gone away and it fits me like a glove now.

9 months and still counting! 

I hope WS1100 is another beast from audio-technica, for who can't like MSR7 because bass quantity, more "fun" for other people (or mainstream consumer), not for me. But I don't want WS1100 beats MSR7 speed, transparency, and detail 
tongue.gif
 (I'm sure they're not stupid to make it killing other line up, MSR7 and M50x)

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #1,018 of 2,803
Hello,

I'm back from a shop where I wanted to acquire 100-200 EUR headphones. Without any prior research whatsoever.
Then I listened to dozens of various brands and models from 50 EUR to 600+ EUR.

Having owned and be used to high quality headphones in the past (Sony MDR-SA5000 and Sennheiser HD 800), this was an extremely painful experience : veiled sound, wrong restitution of some wide parts of the spectrum, and just a lack of detail : one or more of those where present in _any_ headphone I've heard.

Then I noticed the ATH-MSR7 staying a bit away from the others (still as part of my random browsing, I had never heard of them before).
To say the least I got instantly shocked by the quality and overall balance. I cursed all the others and bought them right away :)

Now I'm browsing this thread and some reviews, and I'm glad I agree with everything I read. I was on the process on buying some Audeze LCDX and now I even feel I can use my money elsewhere.

Maybe it's before they're new, but I can understand what people say about some trebles restitutions, on certain tracks. Can't explain why at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back