Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Oct 8, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #991 of 2,803
Any other headphones that I should check out that can compare with the MSR7? I've heard that the AKG K550 is comparable to it but when I went to the headphone shop yesterday they pulled it off the shelves a few hours before I arrived as they got discontinued and I didn't get to try it. Also curious about the ATH-AD900x. What are your thoughts about the comparisons?  
Also, a bit of a far stretch, but would the R70x be more worth it?

I've previously heard the AD900X and it just wasn't that good, it was quite thin-sounding and didn't have much bass. I also previously owned the R70x and didn't think highly of it either. If your application is studio recording, mixing, or mastering, then the R70x isn't something you'd want anyway. It lacked way too much clarity throughout the spectrum, IMO. The only strength it had was a natural-sounding mid-range—there was really nothing else that was good about it.

The MSR7, which I own now, is by far one of the best all-around headphones I've ever heard from Audio-Technica, and I've heard a lot of their headphones. The level of clarity you get for just $250 is mindblowing. If you do mixing, you'll definitely hear everything that you need to with the MSR7. It's not a very bassy headphone, and is relatively light in the mid-range as well, but if you won't mind that, there's no other headphone I can recommend. Aside from the Yamaha MT220, that is, if you want a deep bass and filling mid-range.

Something else you might want to consider are the new professional headphones that just came out from Fostex: http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/New_RP-Series.shtml

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #992 of 2,803

I've previously heard the AD900X and it just wasn't that good, it was quite thin-sounding and didn't have much bass. I also previously owned the R70x and didn't think highly of it either. If your application is studio recording, mixing, or mastering, then the R70x isn't something you'd want anyway. It lacked way too much clarity throughout the spectrum, IMO. The only strength it had was a natural-sounding mid-range—there was really nothing else that was good about it.

The MSR7, which I own now, is by far one of the best all-around headphones I've ever heard from Audio-Technica, and I've heard a lot of their headphones. The level of clarity you get for just $250 is mindblowing. If you do mixing, you'll definitely hear everything that you need to with the MSR7. It's not a very bassy headphone, and is relatively light in the mid-range as well, but if you won't mind that, there's no other headphone I can recommend. Aside from the Yamaha MT220, that is, if you want a deep bass and filling mid-range.

Something else you might want to consider are the new professional headphones that just came out from Fostex: http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/New_RP-Series.shtml

Thanks for the in-depth description of your experiences! I guess the MSR7 really is just that good. I guess it's a done deal then!

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #993 of 2,803
If you have any recommendations for a good amp/DAC/audio interface do let me know, although I think I'm most likely just run the MSR7 naked unless an amp does a lot to improve the sound quality.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #995 of 2,803
  ^ I recommend that you just run it "naked," it can sound surprisingly good straight out of a computer sound card's headphone jack.

Ok, thanks for the advice! I'm using a macbook pro 13" 2014 and a custom built PC with the AsRock Z97 Extreme4 mobo so hopefully the integrated sound cards are good enough. Supposedly the motherboard has purity sound 2 which is good? Not sure.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #996 of 2,803
Audio-Technica just held a conference about 30 minutes ago and announced a few new hi-res headphones, but no MSR7 successor.

https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/

It seems on October 23 they will release a few Solid Bass line headphones and IEMs.

This one, the ATH-WS1100 in particular looks interesting - it has 53mm hi-res drivers rather than 45mm in the MSR7. Could it be like a basshead version of the MSR7?

https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2765

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #997 of 2,803
  Audio-Technica just held a conference about 30 minutes ago and announced a few new hi-res headphones, but no MSR7 successor.

https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/

It seems on October 23 they will release a few Solid Bass line headphones and IEMs.

This one, the ATH-WS1100 in particular looks interesting - it has 53mm hi-res drivers rather than 45mm in the MSR7. Could it be like a basshead version of the MSR7?

https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2765

That looks really good, but a balanced set of headphones would be better for monitoring, right? If so, should I wait for these to come out or just get the MSR7? Planning to get the MSR7 this saturday (super stoked)

Is the WS1100 semi open?

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #998 of 2,803
I am not really sure if they are semi-open or not. It would be nice to wait for a proper english translation.

I would think it is "semi-open" and the MSR7 is to an extent as well as both have an air-flow mechanism.

I'd still for the MSR7 for a more reference type sound - I already have the M50x.

I'm torn between getting the MSR7 in the US (249 plus tax)  or in Taiwan (215 no tax). The thing is I'm going to Taiwan a few months later than US, and I'm looking to get another IM70 as my old one broke.

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #999 of 2,803
  I am not really sure if they are semi-open or not. It would be nice to wait for a proper english translation.

I would think it is "semi-open" and the MSR7 is to an extent as well as both have an air-flow mechanism.

I'd still for the MSR7 for a more reference type sound - I already have the M50x.

I'm torn between getting the MSR7 in the US (249 plus tax)  or in Taiwan (215 no tax). The thing is I'm going to Taiwan a few months later than US, and I'm looking to get another IM70 as my old one broke.

I don't know why I keep asking if something else is better than the MSR7 considering I got so many replies saying overall the pick is MSR7 (Some legendary near-reference headphone material here).

Also yeah I'm not sure why audio technica is so expensive in the US. The MSR7 here is 278 SGD (196 USD according to google). Most audio technica stuff here is really cheap compared to the US. Even the R70x is 438 SGD (and with promotions it's 398 SGD which is ~310 USD and 280 USD accordingly) compared to 489 USD.

My guess is shipping?

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #1,000 of 2,803

Model type - Closed dynamic
Driver - φ53mm
Output sound pressure level - 100dB / mW
Play frequency band - 5 ~ 40,000Hz
Maximum input - 1,000mW
Impedance - 38Ω
I mass (excluding code) - About 281g
Input terminal - φ3.5mm stereo mini-jack

● Accessories: code (removable): One out 1.2m (φ3.5mm gold-plated stereo mini plug L-type), porch ● Optional: exchange sleeves HP-WS1100

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #1,001 of 2,803
Driver - φ53mm
Maximum input - 1,000mW
Impedance - 38Ω

● Accessories: code (removable): One out 1.2m (φ3.5mm gold-plated stereo mini plug L-type), porch ● Optional: exchange sleeves HP-WS1100

That's pretty useful, thanks! I think you mean cord and not code btw :)

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #1,002 of 2,803
One of my acquaintances just bought this an hour ago in favour of the m40x after I asked them to test out what they liked and what they were looking for in a pair of headphones :)

Can't wait to get mine

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #1,003 of 2,803
  Ok, thanks for the advice! I'm using a macbook pro 13" 2014 and a custom built PC with the AsRock Z97 Extreme4 mobo so hopefully the integrated sound cards are good enough. Supposedly the motherboard has purity sound 2 which is good? Not sure.

I have the same laptop and these sound awesome running straight from the jack, and looking at that PC sound card, you'll be more than fine. Hope you enjoy them as much as a lot of us do. 
smily_headphones1.gif

About the AD900X: They sound great for gaming or watching movies with their big soundstage, but the MSR7 has better imaging, faster bass, cleaner highs, less congestion, more neutrality. MSR7 is an easy recommendation in most aspects other than size of soundstage. 

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #1,004 of 2,803

I have the same laptop and these sound awesome running straight from the jack, and looking at that PC sound card, you'll be more than fine. Hope you enjoy them as much as a lot of us do. 
smily_headphones1.gif

About the AD900X: They sound great for gaming or watching movies with their big soundstage, but the MSR7 has better imaging, faster bass, cleaner highs, less congestion, more neutrality. MSR7 is an easy recommendation in most aspects other than size of soundstage. 

Yeah, can't wait! 2 more days and I've been offered 15% off! Pretty excited!

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,005 of 2,803
Driver - φ53mm
Maximum input - 1,000mW
Impedance - 38Ω

Well it seems that they have a vented design like the MSR7 with an air flow mechanism, hence isolation may be compromised.

I don't know why I keep asking if something else is better than the MSR7 considering I got so many replies saying overall the pick is MSR7 (Some legendary near-reference headphone material here).

Also yeah I'm not sure why audio technica is so expensive in the US. The MSR7 here is 278 SGD (196 USD according to google). Most audio technica stuff here is really cheap compared to the US. Even the R70x is 438 SGD (and with promotions it's 398 SGD which is ~310 USD and 280 USD accordingly) compared to 489 USD.

My guess is shipping?

I would think so as well, but in North America it seems for the MSR7 sellers fix the price to MSRP, whereas for the M50x they can drop it by a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back