Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Oct 7, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #976 of 2,803
I was told by the guy in the shop to get the ATH-R70X with an amp + DAC rather than get the ATH-MSR7 so that my purchase lasts longer and supposedly the performance would be a lot better, monitoring would be better as well, and sound would be more natural. However, I'm more interested in monitoring edm rather than something like pop so I don't know which choice would be better; the r70x + amp with DAC or the ATH-MSR7. The prices would be $700 for the r70x with amp/DAC and the MSR7 would be $278. If you can give me some insight on this, I'd be really grateful, thanks!

Well they're quite different hp. R70x being my favorite, is the most comfortable hp I've ever tried. They're not analytical, but pleasant sounding and have bigger sound stage. Quality of the bass seems a bit better. However detail retrieval and transparency is better in the MSR7. The bass on the MSR7 is quick and punchy opposed to a sort of woolly type on the R70x. I think both hp somehow complement each other, like yin and yang. R70x are open, light, spacious and pleasant, the MSR7 are closed, heavier, aggressive and transparent. However because the highs on the R70x are more forgiving, they can be pushed a bit louder and then comes the roooaaar in the bass that I just like very much. So it comes down to the choice if you want to enjoy or analyze.

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #977 of 2,803

Well they're quite different hp. R70x being my favorite, is the most comfortable hp I've ever tried. They're not analytical, but pleasant sounding and have bigger sound stage. Quality of the bass seems a bit better. However detail retrieval and transparency is better in the MSR7. The bass on the MSR7 is quick and punchy opposed to a sort of woolly type on the R70x. I think both hp somehow complement each other, like yin and yang. R70x are open, light, spacious and pleasant, the MSR7 are closed, heavier, aggressive and transparent. However because the highs on the R70x are more forgiving, they can be pushed a bit louder and then comes the roooaaar in the bass that I just like very much. So it comes down to the choice if you want to enjoy or analyze.

I would probably want both, but someone advised me as I'm not even a producer yet, to get the MSR7 as it is a cheaper alternative, it doesn't cost as much and I won't feel pressured to be so successful in music making and just enjoy myself, which I think I'll take. Thanks for the detailed description!

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #978 of 2,803
Is there anyone understand about patent?
What do you think with this? (I can't read this patent right now, except for tomorrow). 

https://www.google.com/patents/US8442258?dq=inassignee:%22Kabushiki+Kaisha+Audio-Technica%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDcQ6AEwBDgeahUKEwiMw9rf2rDIAhVMno4KHZIxAOc

Is that patent for MSR7 technology? (Dual layer technology, triple-vented system)

Most interesting parts, for me, is the last paragraph

"Industrial Applicability
The present invention can provide a closed-type headphone that can improve the quality of sound in low to medium frequency bands regardless of a circum-aural or supra-aural type."
That's make me thinking about MSR on-ear series

Oct 7, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #979 of 2,803
What amps are good in combination with these headphones and will they make much of a difference?

Do these headphones even need an amp? There's this group of peoole tellinf me how amazing an amp is. Thanks.

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #980 of 2,803
  What amps are good in combination with these headphones and will they make much of a difference?

Do these headphones even need an amp? There's this group of peoole tellinf me how amazing an amp is. Thanks.

These headphones are really great in that whatever you put through them, they will reflect it in some way. If you use a warmer source, it will warm up the sound a bit. If you use a very cold source they will reflect that too. That said, I use mine in a lot of different sources without an amp and I've never found any of the sources themselves the least bit offensive. It's more the quality of the sound that the MSR7 points out than a bad or mismatched source. TL;DR - sources and amps can affect the sound noticeably, but running them naked does nothing to inhibit them. They definitely don't need an amp to be enjoyed.

As far as your earlier questions, I use these as my primary headphones for monitoring and recording and they're absolutely phenomenal at their price. 

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #981 of 2,803

These headphones are really great in that whatever you put through them, they will reflect it in some way. If you use a warmer source, it will warm up the sound a bit. If you use a very cold source they will reflect that too. That said, I use mine in a lot of different sources without an amp and I've never found any of the sources themselves the least bit offensive. It's more the quality of the sound that the MSR7 points out than a bad or mismatched source. TL;DR - sources and amps can affect the sound noticeably, but running them naked does nothing to inhibit them. They definitely don't need an amp to be enjoyed.

As far as your earlier questions, I use these as my primary headphones for monitoring and recording and they're absolutely phenomenal at their price. 

+1

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #982 of 2,803
  Also, how do the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros compare to the ATH-MSR7? If you've tested them out, which do you think is better? Thanks!

I prefer MRS7.

I was told by the guy in the shop to get the ATH-R70X with an amp + DAC rather than get the ATH-MSR7 so that my purchase lasts longer and supposedly the performance would be a lot better, monitoring would be better as well, and sound would be more natural. However, I'm more interested in monitoring edm rather than something like pop so I don't know which choice would be better; the r70x + amp with DAC or the ATH-MSR7. The prices would be $700 for the r70x with amp/DAC and the MSR7 would be $278. If you can give me some insight on this, I'd be really grateful, thanks!

Not many budget DAC+Amp suitable for R70x. I would say at least should get ifi micro iDSD to get the potential of R70x. That will multiply your budget compare to MSR7.  They both have very different tonality. For EDM, most probably R70x will be less fatiguing. I prefer MSR7 for acoustic recording.

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #983 of 2,803

Thanks for the explanation! I do agree the price is amazing for the level of quality it produces. Would an amp/DAC help with studio monitoring or is running it naked fine as well?

I prefer MRS7.

Not many budget DAC+Amp suitable for R70x. I would say at least should get ifi micro iDSD to get the potential of R70x. That will multiply your budget compare to MSR7.  They both have very different tonality. For EDM, most probably R70x will be less fatiguing. I prefer MSR7 for acoustic recording.

I see, would you take the MSR7 ($278 SGD) or the R70x with a headamp pico? (700 SGD, amp/dac is secondhand) I'm interested in music production, but I'm definitely miles away from that level, based on that someone said I should take it easy and just go for the MSR7 so I don't feel too pressured to be successful in music production and I'd be able to have more fun that way. What do you think?

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #984 of 2,803
What do you guys think about the Emotiva xda2 ($299), Objective 2 + DAC ($200) or the headamp pico ($300) or are there audio interfaces you'd recommend? The amps/DACs I mentioned are pretty much secondhand/used and prices are in SGD. What do you think? Would it just be better if I get cheaper amps/audio interfaces? Thanks!

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #985 of 2,803
I was given a website by someone to check out certain amps that go with the MSR7 http://www.audiobot9000.com/audio-technica/h/ath-msr7gm

I'm also looking at the Creative Sound Blaster E1, are these any good?

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #986 of 2,803
  What do you guys think about the Emotiva xda2 ($299), Objective 2 + DAC ($200) or the headamp pico ($300) or are there audio interfaces you'd recommend? The amps/DACs I mentioned are pretty much secondhand/used and prices are in SGD. What do you think? Would it just be better if I get cheaper amps/audio interfaces? Thanks!

I was given a website by someone to check out certain amps that go with the MSR7 http://www.audiobot9000.com/audio-technica/h/ath-msr7gm

I'm also looking at the Creative Sound Blaster E1, are these any good?

The safest bet is the JDS Labs ODAC, if the form is OK for your purposes.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #988 of 2,803
Thanks for the explanation! I do agree the price is amazing for the level of quality it produces. Would an amp/DAC help with studio monitoring or is running it naked fine as well?

I think it's fine running straight from source, as long as it's half decent. I use a little amp/DAC to run my guitar through, but I monitor my keyboard and piano right from the computer.

Source will be more important than an amp for these because of the sensitivity and lower (relative) resistance. Not to say an amp won't do anything (a tube amp gives you a certain quality, a SS amp gives a certain quality, there are different qualities among each of those, etc, etc), but for these, I don't find myself needing too much extra juice.

It's not as easy as "this makes it sound better". Some things may give you a sound you like more where others could make it sound comparatively worse. It's just about finding what's right for you. The MSR7 is a wonderful type of headphone to test those different qualities.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #989 of 2,803
  I think it's fine running straight from source, as long as it's half decent. I use a little amp/DAC to run my guitar through, but I monitor my keyboard and piano right from the computer.

Source will be more important than an amp for these because of the sensitivity and lower (relative) resistance. Not to say an amp won't do anything (a tube amp gives you a certain quality, a SS amp gives a certain quality, there are different qualities among each of those, etc, etc), but for these, I don't find myself needing too much extra juice.

It's not as easy as "this makes it sound better". Some things may give you a sound you like more where others could make it sound comparatively worse. It's just about finding what's right for you. The MSR7 is a wonderful type of headphone to test those different qualities.

I think I'm probably overthinking way too many things and getting too many opinions from different sources which probably confuses me, but I think I've learnt quite a bit from this experience, thanks for sharing :D

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #990 of 2,803
Any other headphones that I should check out that can compare with the MSR7? I've heard that the AKG K550 is comparable to it but when I went to the headphone shop yesterday they pulled it off the shelves a few hours before I arrived as they got discontinued and I didn't get to try it. Also curious about the ATH-AD900x. What are your thoughts about the comparisons?

Also, a bit of a far stretch, but would the R70x be more worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back