Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Nov 1, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #31 of 2,803
Some teaser pics:

Sorry for the low quality smart phone pictures in low light environment. They look much better than the pictures. Really nice and beautiful headphones. The red limited edition is simply gorgeous!
And they do sound really good! As good as their look :L3000:

The signature is on the natural side, with very good low bass and upper treble extension. Bass quality is good and extended, but not for basshead. Bass level slightly less than my Sennheiser Amperior. MSR7 clarity is very good, but not yet analytical. Sounds natural, organic, with good clarity. I like them a lot :L3000:

I borrow the Gunmetal color for review from AT Singapore. Now burning in....
Will take better pics later...

Thanks for the impressions! How did you all get to audition it first?

Off topic, but have you heard the ESW9LTD as well?

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #32 of 2,803
  Pretty good depth and height?

Thank you so much for that, I feel happier already. I will work hard to buy this.

Is it a warmish sounding headphone too? Does the bass impact the head in any way I hope?

Currently it is being burnt-in. Will post impression later.
It is not a warmish headphones like Sony MDR-10R/B. The Sony MDR-10R sounds warmer with fatter mids and bass, and has less clarity.  ATH-MSR7 is much clearer, and to me sounds more natural than MDR-10R.
So far I tried it with DX90, haven't tried with smart phone or other DAP.

Thanks for the impressions! How did you all get to audition it first?

Off topic, but have you heard the ESW9LTD as well?

We borrow it from AT Singapore, demo model.

Saw ESW9LTD, but haven't tried it.  @Randius might be able to give some impressions for ESW9LTD

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #33 of 2,803
Can you give some brief comparison between the msr7 and es10? They are at the same price now although considering that the es10 used to cost more than $400 when it first came out.
And Which headphone do you think is the most similar to msr7 in the ATH family.

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #34 of 2,803

Currently it is being burnt-in. Will post impression later.
It is not a warmish headphones like Sony MDR-10R/B. The Sony MDR-10R sounds warmer with fatter mids and bass, and has less clarity.  ATH-MSR7 is much clearer, and to me sounds more natural than MDR-10R.
So far I tried it with DX90, haven't tried with smart phone or other DAP.

We borrow it from AT Singapore, demo model.

Saw ESW9LTD, but haven't tried it.  @Randius might be able to give some impressions for ESW9LTD

please do try it on a smartphone or lesser player just to test its weaknesses if any. Thank you so much earfonia! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #35 of 2,803
As promised, proper pictures for the gorgeous MSR7.

Size comparison:

Quote:
  Can you give some brief comparison between the msr7 and es10? They are at the same price now although considering that the es10 used to cost more than $400 when it first came out.
And Which headphone do you think is the most similar to msr7 in the ATH family.

Will do some comparison later after burn-in. Plan to burn-in for about 3-4 days. I don't have ES10 though...

please do try it on a smartphone or lesser player just to test its weaknesses if any. Thank you so much earfonia! 
beerchug.gif

Will do.

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #37 of 2,803
Maybe you could help with this; I'm looking for multi purpose headphone for listening, recording, mixing etc.i thought it d be a good idea to buy audio technica ath50mx,now this one come and I m confused, primarily I d listen to music rather mixing and recording but still I want to use the headphone for recording too.any tips. Or advices for me ?

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #38 of 2,803
Maybe you could help with this; I'm looking for multi purpose headphone for listening, recording, mixing etc.i thought it d be a good idea to buy audio technica ath50mx,now this one come and I m confused, primarily I d listen to music rather mixing and recording but still I want to use the headphone for recording too.any tips. Or advices for me ?

For recording and mixing, best is to get headphone with FR as linear as possible. My recording and mixing headphones so far have been Philips Fidelio X1 and Beyerdynamic T1. Anyway, you still need to be familiar with their sound characteristic by having more head hours with them.

ATH-MSR7 is quite linear, leaning a bit on the bright side of natural. But I prefer ot have more head hours with it before making further comments.  Hopefully I can get a loan from AT Sgp for M50x, so can make a direct comparison.

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #39 of 2,803

For recording and mixing, best is to get headphone with FR as linear as possible. My recording and mixing headphones so far have been Philips Fidelio X1 and Beyerdynamic T1. Anyway, you still need to be familiar with their sound characteristic by having more head hours with them.

ATH-MSR7 is quite linear, leaning a bit on the bright side of natural. But I prefer ot have more head hours with it before making further comments.  Hopefully I can get a loan from AT Sgp for M50x, so can make a direct comparison.

Edit: I meant that I want the ath-msr7 to be a balanced headphone with a good PRAT.

I sure hope it is. Can't wait for your impressions sometime next week! 

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #41 of 2,803
Seriously excited about these - i never bought into the M50 hypetrain, but this headphone looks gorgeous. I need a new closed, over ear warm/neutral hp for work to replace my current Logitech UE6000.  The NVX XPT100 did not do it for me. 

Hope they do well in reviews/measurements

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #42 of 2,803
Seriously excited about these - i never bought into the M50 hypetrain, but this headphone looks gorgeous. I need a new closed, over ear warm/neutral hp for work to replace my current Logitech UE6000.  The NVX XPT100 did not do it for me. 

Hope they do well in reviews/measurements
The m50 was disappointing when I tried it. Imo, it wasn't anything special.

Oh and UE6K... :beerchug:

Nov 3, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #43 of 2,803
  It looks like it takes a standard 3.55 mm jack into the cup. Can anyone confirm?

Yes, which I don't like. Yes, 3.5 mm is easily available, makes it easy for cable replacement. But 3.5 mm jack shared the ground wire between left and right driver that causes crosstalk.
3.5 mm is fine on the player end, but on the driver end, left and right ground wire should be separated.

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #44 of 2,803

Yes, which I don't like. Yes, 3.5 mm is easily available, makes it easy for cable replacement. But 3.5 mm jack shared the ground wire between left and right driver that causes crosstalk.
3.5 mm is fine on the player end, but on the driver end, left and right ground wire should be separated.

I sure hope it's not so noticable with the msr7s.

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #45 of 2,803
Look forwards to going to japan in a month or two - will definitely see if I can find a place that has these so I can compare them with my mdr-1r mk2's and b&w p7's which I might bring as well.

If the price and sound is right I might just pick up a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back