Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Oct 7, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #1,861 of 2,803
Yes, I have thought about the Denons for some time. I love the D2000 and a mini version of that would suit me. I wondered whether the Denon might be warm up top again though with the wood cups. Might try a pair I think!!

I've got the mar7 out again to give it another go. I keep 'trying' to like it......

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #1,862 of 2,803
There's no doubt that the AH-MM400 is warmer than the MSR7. But when it comes to the treble, the extension and detail are there as well, though I normally put the treble up a couple of dB just for personal preference. 

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #1,863 of 2,803
  Foams, fabric, custom pads won't remove sibilant from sound, the will only remove harshness a bit. Sibilance is a matter of record quality. MSR-7 is very critical to record quality.
For reducing sibilance try to google "DeEsser".

I don't actually mind the sibilance, if it is equal on both ears. I've had other headphones that are bright, but the sibilant sound is more or less equally distributed. It's more that my right ear tends to be more sensitive to it on the MSR7. I started noticing this a few months after using them, and whenever I move the pads around it seems to sound more balanced, but a few days later I will start to notice it again.

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #1,864 of 2,803
I agree about all of the Momentums. I have two over ears (I and II) and the on Ears II. all share that same characteristic. I was hoping that the msr7 would put the top end and give me more clarity but for me, they seem to play notes but not music! The Momentums are clouded but give a good 'feel'.

The Sony has a bigger bass hump and the m100 is entertaining with an even bigger bass hump. Out of the three of them, I just find the Momentum has less of a hump there so that spoken voice reproduction is better. With both the Sony and the M100, it can be a bit boomy.

I tried very hard to get into the msr7, since voice reproduction is very good. For me, the extreme top and bottom is missing so my search for a decent closed portable goes on. I had a dt1350 for a while but found that a little odd too.

Smaller closed headphones seem to be problematic.

I understand our observations and can agree on some points tried a few hf's these last months. None I heard is flat, then does every Dap, sounds the same?
Momentums, sound good for a while, but then you miss the sprinkle, a bit same story for the Sony 1 A. It can sound very pleasant on some recordings, but OOOOh so boring on others, missing life in it.  I listened also yesterday to a Marshall, on ear, price was around 80 €. Well this sounds also fun, is not agressive, and a good deal for your buck.

Like I wrote here before, The ATh  M40X, first impression, is really fun and would be the best price/quality, but after 10 minutes it makes me want to put it off. The treble is more present then  in the MDR7, that is true. But that is just also why it is edgy, and voices, are NOT beautiful. Sometimes I hardly recognize the voice of the singer. it is to thin, sometimes like a small "speed up".

I am keeping the Ath MSR 7, like you said for the voices.  They sound beautiful!  And I play mostly that.  About the treble, yes, you could argue, there is a bit of lack here and there, but, compared to the  SONY 1A, you notice it is all there, and with people saying it is bright, it still sound smooth enough. The Bass, indeed could go some deeper, here and there, especially on modern music. But at other times, it roars, when you not expect it.

It all comes down with the shortcomings, combination you use your headphone with. I not agree with you, that is plays notes, and not music. Violins sound so fantastic too, like it should be, detailed but not smooth. I would never use this HF, with a cheap dac or phone. There the Sony will marry much better.

And for those who complain about bass. first of all on some recordings, it is very natural, but if you really need more if you turn it higher on your dap, the HF reacts well to it. At times I would tune it a little bit, but flat it can sound so beautiful, and musical, with the right music. Try Leonard Cohen "Popular problems", Patricia Barber "Nightclub", perfect recordings, and tell me if there is bass missing or anything else...... 

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #1,865 of 2,803
I'm interested in these headphones, but in a situation where trying them out before buying is a bit difficult. I already have some Phillips Fidelio X2s at home, so these will almost entirely be used out on the move, so how well would they work with an iPhone 6 listening to cd-quality audio? I listen to classical music,  oldschool rock, house and electronic mostly.

Also, how sizable are the actual earpads etc, because I was planning on getting some Sennheiser Momentum M2s but had a chance to try them on and couldnt get them simply because there wasn't enough room for my ear to rest comfortable inside it.

If these aren't good for my use, what should I be looking at in the same pricerange?

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #1,866 of 2,803
Think your limitation would be your phone not the headphones. Although they're designed for 'portable' use, you're obviously not going to get the best sound out of them with an iPhone. They'll do ok.

Pad size will fit your ears in but not much room for anything else, they're really snug.

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #1,867 of 2,803
Sure, but the situation with the iphone is what it is. At home I have a decent soundcard, a NAD amp and the big open fidelio x2s which I love, so the premise here isn't to get the most out of the headphones,but rather to get the most out of the phone when I'm in a situation where it's all I have. If these headphones won't do it, what would in the same pricerange?

The other contenders that have gotten good reviews (from what I've seen) and are available in my area are the NAD Viso HP50, would they be better you think?

Or should I look into getting a portable amp to open up the choices in what I can get decent sound out of? How much do I need to pay to get good sound from a portable amp?

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #1,868 of 2,803
The HP50's would be much better/ PSB M4U1's/ B&O H6's would also be a good shout - they are similar prices in the UK but I don't know in the US. A portable amp you don't need to go silly on. Under $100 would do, most can double up as a DAC as well using USB and that would sound better than the iPhone internal amp/DAC. The only draw back is you'd need an Apple camera adapter to turn the lightning port into a full size USB to use this feature or get a 3rd party adapter

The iPhone downsamples everything to 16bit so you can't really enjoy HQ files on the go if that's your player of choice. I use a Fiio E07k with my phone and that works so much better than internal audio (I use this to use it https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acxeon-Micro-USB-OTG-Adapter/dp/B017NHIUAO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1475934906&sr=8-5&keywords=otg+adapter).

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #1,869 of 2,803
Yeah I called up my nearest hifi place and they have one pair of the HP50s left, so I had them put them away for me until I get back to town and can have a look at them on tuesday. The guy did mention that he thought they should be sensitive enough for an iphone to drive them, but that I could always get a portable DAC/amp to go with them just in case, he recommended Audioquest Dragonfly, do you know anything about that? And thinking about it, it's starting to sound like a good idea, because I also find that my laptop has pretty **** sound when I use headphones with it  (dont use it much though so not the greatest need), so I'm starting to come around to the idea of getting a separate DAC.

If I go for a DAC, are the HP50s still a great pickup, or are there other things that I might want to consider then that were previously eliminated as the iphone cant drive them? The ATH M50X springs to mind as it's cheaper than the HP50 and is one I eliminated due to the fact that I hear they are rather hard to drive on an iphone, but if I'm going to get a portable DAC/Amp, that objection sould disappear, right?

Oh and by the way, if I do get a portable amp/dac, are the hp50s still better than the ATH MSR7? Or was the whole point of going for hp50 instead of msr7 based on not having a DAC/Amp?

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #1,870 of 2,803
Stay well away from the M50s. Over rated. Sold my pair last year.

Also I've listened to the Dragonfly. Really clean for the price although volume from a phone isn't much improvement over the internal amp. Quality though is much better. I think the HP50s would be great with the dragonfly since they are little warm sounding.

The HP50 is a better headphone than the MSR7 regardless of whether you get a separate amp or not

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #1,871 of 2,803
Ok, well I guess I'll go with the HP50 then, or rather I'll try them and assuming they fit me ok and feel comfortable on the head, then I'll get them. As for the dac/amp, dragonfly is just what he recommended on the phone. The handy thing about it though is that while I have to try the headphones to see the fit, the dac/amp I guess I can order online with no problem, which opens the selection up beyond what the local store carries, so what would you recommend?

I take it I definitely want one with DAC included and not just an amp? From the looks of it, it seems like the FiiO Q1 might do the job creditably? How does it compare to the dragonfly? It's a bit more expensive (about £120 compared to dragonfly at £90).

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #1,873 of 2,803
Well where I live it's 120, but I seeing as how the import duties will be less than 100%, I guess I'm better off ordering it from amazon then. Wish I'd had this idea a bit sooner as I could have saved on the shipping, currently have two packages in the mail from the UK amazon. 

So then again, if I'm ordering it from amazon the possibilities widen further, so is the FiiO Q1 still the one I want that will do what I need and give the best performance at that pricepoint of all the stuff on amazon?

How does the sound quality compare to the dragonfly?

By the way, if I'm making an amazon order I might as well get the adapter I need from there as well. What would I need to connect a FiiO Q1 to an iPhone 6? I take it it would be something different from what I'd need to connect the dragonfly? And what would I need to connect a laptop to the Q1?

EDIT: 

I tried to buy the FiiO Q1 on amazon, and they simply won't ship it to my country. They won't let me complete the order unless I specifically remove the Q1 from it. So for the purposes of comparison of value for money, we're back to the FiiO Q1 costing £120 and the dragonfly costing £90. So is it still worth getting the Q1 at £30 more than the dragonfly?

Oct 8, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #1,875 of 2,803

How does the sound quality compare to the dragonfly?

The Dragonfly is cleaner sounding but the Fiio will have more power.

You'll also need one of these or something similar: https://www.amazon.co.uk/REALMAX®-Female-Adapter-Lightning-Generation/dp/B01BDVVW1K/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1475950062&sr=1-3&keywords=apple+camera+adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back