Audio Technica ATH-M60X
Jul 25, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #16 of 44
Interesting... So is the 1.2k peak the reason why you think the M40X and M50Xs are better than the M60Xs, or are the M60Xs just that bad sounding overall? And do you think the peak could be resolved (or at least become more bearable) with EQ?

Where did the poster say they were 'bad sounding' ?? This is where things can go south in a thread on a headphone few of us have heard (they arent even available in my country AFAIK) - all I read was 'they do some things well but I prefer the M40X/50X over what I'm hearing'. In both cases, we've got impressions based on very little use and I'm not sure that I would have rushed out and bought these based on a single YT review (!), particularly if the store audition revealed mids I wasn't happy with (admittedly, store auditions suck but that's more than most of us get to experience prior to laying down our hard-earned cash).

That said, its good to get a few cons to go with the pros outlined in Zeos' review : as discussed earlier, he has a tendency to get carried away.

Jul 26, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #17 of 44
So... I ended up ordering these; I needed a closed back pair for mobile use. They arrive tomorrow. I was pretty excited about these, but the early comments don't exactly instill confidence. Will give them a listen and report back.

Jul 26, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #18 of 44
So... I ended up ordering these; I needed a closed back pair for mobile use. They arrive tomorrow. I was pretty excited about these, but the early comments don't exactly instill confidence. Will give them a listen and report back.

everyone has different sources/files/ears..etc
your experience may differ a lot from others here..will be waiting for your impressions :)

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #19 of 44
Why all the M60X interest? Honestly, I look at the two new $199 AT offerings and I'm choosing the PRO7X. Subjective but I like the look better, it has the newer SR driver and better specs.

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #20 of 44
Why all the M60X interest? Honestly, I look at the two new $199 AT offerings and I'm choosing the PRO7X. Subjective but I like the look better, it has the newer SR driver and better specs.

Because Zeos hyped them to infinity and beyond.

Jul 26, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #21 of 44

Hype aside, I think its a reflection of just how few impressions seem to have been published / uploaded by anyone other than retailers with a vested interest in moving product (Audio46 - give me a break, guys - your 'reviews' are advertorials at best). Zeos might be a tad OTT for some tastes (OK - many tastes) but at least he gave them a shot instead of assuming an on-ear M series would be a flop. We have a nasty tendency in this hobby to make assumptions based largely on photos and the manufacturers specs - not cool.

As for preferring another model. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my ATH-WS1100is and they were originally priced well in excess of 200USD - another headphone that has had very little coverage beyond Zeos and a few (mostly positive) reviews on Amazon. Those of us who are turned off by Sony's 'XB' obsession wouldn't normally think twice about anything being pushed into that space but I guess I'll find out soon enough if the other impressions gel with what I hear when I slip them on - if nothing else, they appear far more comfortable than anything in the M Series. I'd also like to spend more time with the MSR7 - in-store auditions absolutely suck IMO. I'm not familiar with the PRO7X but as soon as I see 'DJ headphone' I tend to run a mile - again, I'm making assumptions without having heard the headphone :wink:

I look forward to your impressions of the PRO7X in the relevant thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-new-audio-technica-ath-pro7x.876001/

Jul 28, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #22 of 44
I like an open, and slight "v" shape sound. So, by default, I like the 50/40's better. But in terms of balance, I'm being objective. You can mitigate with EQ, of course, but I like to enhance with EQ, not solve problems. The 60x is good for what it is. People that absolutely LOVE vocals more than anything else, will love these. Me? I'd take 50/40's over them, any day.

Hmmmm.... I am looking for a vocal-centric IEM/Headphone right now. I'm thinking the Final E5000, but may look into these. I'll wait for more reviews, also.

Jul 28, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #23 of 44
OK. I have to say that these are very good at what they do well [imaging, vocal clarity], pretty good at isolation [I can wear these in bed and not wake the wife :)], and are the most comfortable on ear I've ever worn. They are just loud enough to use with my phone (LG G5). Overall, I am happy with the price I paid (~$173 from sweetwater). They have enough bass for modern music [Hip-Hop, EDM, Metal] and decent enough treble and detail for Jazz and Classical, etc.
Although I would say that they have forward-sounding Mids, I wouldn't say they're "shouty." Very smooth sound which makes it a nice option for on the go and mobile uses. A good all-arounder that will play nice with most types of music, IMHO.

May The FUNK Be With You...

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #24 of 44
Lachlan now works for Minidisc here in Australia

FWIW, even when I don't agree with his opinions, I find Lachlan very articulate and he's clearly a passionate head-fier - don't hate him for getting paid to listen to headphones :wink:

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #25 of 44
I just got a pair of M60x's. I was looking to replace my V-Moda XS', this is because I bought the VE-Monks and liked them way more than the XS' so I felt stupid because they were 50x cheaper, I wanted the same bass of the VE-Monks in portables so after watching Z reviews I went to the store and found that the M60x's have less bass than both XS's and VE's but the clarity and highs were much better, and so the cymbals gave music more excitement. I still have doubts, definitely better than XS' but on albums like Appetite for Destruction I can feel a bit fatigued. I am pushing them off an iPod gen 3 and R2R-11 which might be too boomy. If I'm going about it's tricky to enjoy the sound but if I sit down I can appreciate the quality better.... any others have opinions about the HP's?

Sep 2, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #26 of 44
I just got a pair of M60x's. I was looking to replace my V-Moda XS', this is because I bought the VE-Monks and liked them way more than the XS' so I felt stupid because they were 50x cheaper, I wanted the same bass of the VE-Monks in portables so after watching Z reviews I went to the store and found that the M60x's have less bass than both XS's and VE's but the clarity and highs were much better, and so the cymbals gave music more excitement. I still have doubts, definitely better than XS' but on albums like Appetite for Destruction I can feel a bit fatigued. I am pushing them off an iPod gen 3 and R2R-11 which might be too boomy. If I'm going about it's tricky to enjoy the sound but if I sit down I can appreciate the quality better.... any others have opinions about the HP's?

Well, I auditioned the M60x previously and I feel that its bass is comparable to VE Monk Plus, but with smoother mids and highs (with good cymbals clarity as you mentioned). By all means they are not fatiguing at all to my ears but what I can say is, this pair of headphones is a very versatile pair, good with almost any genre. Its soundstage is not wide, but from what I can tell, the vocals are centred, like in the centre of your head, while the rest of the instruments encompasses around your head, with a bit of distance away from the vocals. Additionally, I think it performs well even at loud volume but you will sacrifice the soundstage by a bit as the music from the instruments become closer to your head. All in all, I feel it is a good headphones though.

Anyways, I was wondering how you feel about the comfort? Without wear spectacles, I think its superb. But with spectacles, I feel that it is very difficult to get a comfortable position and seal for the soundstage I mentioned. Maybe it is the downside of an on-ear headphones..

Sep 2, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #27 of 44
Well, I auditioned the M60x previously and I feel that its bass is comparable to VE Monk Plus, but with smoother mids and highs (with good cymbals clarity as you mentioned). By all means they are not fatiguing at all to my ears but what I can say is, this pair of headphones is a very versatile pair, good with almost any genre. Its soundstage is not wide, but from what I can tell, the vocals are centred, like in the centre of your head, while the rest of the instruments encompasses around your head, with a bit of distance away from the vocals. Additionally, I think it performs well even at loud volume but you will sacrifice the soundstage by a bit as the music from the instruments become closer to your head. All in all, I feel it is a good headphones though.

Anyways, I was wondering how you feel about the comfort? Without wear spectacles, I think its superb. But with spectacles, I feel that it is very difficult to get a comfortable position and seal for the soundstage I mentioned. Maybe it is the downside of an on-ear headphones..

I wear glasses and have the XS. I have no problem getting a good seal with the XS. I have a taller and narrower face/head.

Sep 2, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #28 of 44
I think they are comfortable and could maybe get a bit hot in summer? But my ears are tiny and have a weird shape.
With the R2R-11 the headphones are definitely not fatiguing and the highs are very good, I think it is an issue of the iPod not being up to par and making them sound a bit shrill (maybe it distorts). But still I think I’m missing out because the R2R is a different type of dac/amp which might not give me every last detail as would the NFB-11 with its sabre dac. Maybe it’s not as high fidelity but more fun and exotic sound.

Please does anyone have recommendations for a DAP that might pair well with ATH-m60x? I am heavily considering the Shangling M2, I’ve read that they might be a bit on the warm side because it’s highs are not as pronounced, I said perfect, a more relaxed sound, but if it’s a problem of the iPod and not the headphones,then I don’t want to take away the strength of the highs in the m60x’s and their clarity in the midrange but also want more body. Thanks I’m advance.

[PS] The VE Monks sound fine with my iPod and I can crank the volume up, but I can't do the same with the m60xs without it sounding a little piercing, the Monks are 64ohm with a 116dB sensitivity and the m60xs are 38ohm with a sensitivity of 102dB, so it's not a matter of power? Maybe the m60xs are more revealing of the source and I do need the Shanling or another DAP to make the most out of the M60x's on the go (as well as flac files).

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #29 of 44
I think they are comfortable and could maybe get a bit hot in summer? But my ears are tiny and have a weird shape.
With the R2R-11 the headphones are definitely not fatiguing and the highs are very good, I think it is an issue of the iPod not being up to par and making them sound a bit shrill (maybe it distorts). But still I think I’m missing out because the R2R is a different type of dac/amp which might not give me every last detail as would the NFB-11 with its sabre dac. Maybe it’s not as high fidelity but more fun and exotic sound.

Please does anyone have recommendations for a DAP that might pair well with ATH-m60x? I am heavily considering the Shangling M2, I’ve read that they might be a bit on the warm side because it’s highs are not as pronounced, I said perfect, a more relaxed sound, but if it’s a problem of the iPod and not the headphones,then I don’t want to take away the strength of the highs in the m60x’s and their clarity in the midrange but also want more body. Thanks I’m advance.

[PS] The VE Monks sound fine with my iPod and I can crank the volume up, but I can't do the same with the m60xs without it sounding a little piercing, the Monks are 64ohm with a 116dB sensitivity and the m60xs are 38ohm with a sensitivity of 102dB, so it's not a matter of power? Maybe the m60xs are more revealing of the source and I do need the Shanling or another DAP to make the most out of the M60x's on the go (as well as flac files).

I see, I have small ears though. Maybe I'm too used to my HD600's comfort. I tried driving with my iPhone X and I didn't find it fatiguing, but I do find it very exciting, especially the bass, it hits hard with speed and is well controlled.

Hmmm for DAP maybe you can consider Shanling M0? I heard good things about it, with it being neutral and having plenty of power. I guess with that you can retain the clarity and midrange? That being said, I think you and I are looking for similar kind of headphones; good midrange with body, clarity without being too shrill / fatiguing? That was the reason why I bought HD600 in the first place HAHA

Well Im not sure of the technicality, so I will let the other members of the forum to chip in. For VE monks, I do find it enjoyable, but I always listen at okay-ish volume, so as to not damage my hearing. Imo, at louder volume, the bass is more present and hits harder?

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #30 of 44
I have realised is not the highs, the highs are actually a tad bit recessed but well presented, in my desktop they sound like a dream, so I want to replicate that on the go. I also have the HD600 and K712 but I find the m60xs sound better with spotify or mp3 files for some reason, they are also more intimate of course. The highs in both the 600s and m60xs leave me wanting a bit more sometimes, specially with the R2R which sounds 'tubey' as people say (I've never heard a tube amp). I've been considering getting Beyer 770 250ohm as I have never had a full size closed back.

For DAPs I’ve been considering Xduoo X3ii but there is not as much info on them as I would like to, people praise the original X3 but the 2nd gen has a different dac chip, a mixed bag of opinions from, they are lifeless to they are better than the og X3. The Shangling is said to have an organic signature but the highs are also a bit less, which won’t do the m60xs any favour. I need a V shaped DAP! Hahah, I’m so scared of getting a DAP that makes the music sound lifeless.

I see, I have small ears though. Maybe I'm too used to my HD600's comfort. I tried driving with my iPhone X and I didn't find it fatiguing, but I do find it very exciting, especially the bass, it hits hard with speed and is we ll controlled.

Hmmm for DAP maybe you can consider Shanling M0? I heard good things about it, with it being neutral and having plenty of power. I guess with that you can retain the clarity and midrange? That being said, I think you and I are looking for similar kind of headphones; good midrange with body, clarity without being too shrill / fatiguing? That was the reason why I bought HD600 in the first place HAHA

Well Im not sure of the technicality, so I will let the other members of the forum to chip in. For VE monks, I do find it enjoyable, but I always listen at okay-ish volume, so as to not damage my hearing. Imo, at louder volume, the bass is more present and hits harder?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back