Audio Technica ATH-M60X
Apr 11, 2018 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Makiah S

Sponsor: EarMen | HeadAmp
Member of the Trade: Bricasti Design
Formerly known as Mshenay
Just saw these announced yesterday and I have to say I'm pretty excited!

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/...ost&utm_campaign=M60xProduct&utm_content=l823

http://www.harmonycentral.com/news/...fessional-monitor-headphones-to-m-series-line

https://eu.audio-technica.com/ATH-M60x

I love the ATH M40X and while I appreciate the slightly more open & spacious sound of the M50X I'm not a fan of how bassy they are. So a headphone with the same driver but a more "studio" sound and "accurate" bass sounds wonderful!

I also have to say I'm kinda in love with the refreshed design aesthetically!!! Though they are on the ear which... isn't terribly bad. I like my HD 25-1 ii, at least they didn't call it an over the ear and make the cups tiny like Beyerdynamic did with their DT 240

Though it would seem these are launching some time in the summer state side. Here's to hoping we can have some impressions soon!

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 44
Wonder how these compare to the Pro7X?

Apr 30, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 44
You're getting an on-ear ATH 50 with updated design.
Both same driver and sound signature if reports are accurate.
Thinking AT went with on-ear ATH 60 so as not to take sales away from over-ear ATH 50.
Would buy ATH 60 if it was over-ear, but as it stands now, none of the ATH's appeal to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 24, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #5 of 44
So... Is there anyone who has tried it?
I just curious, my target is still ATH-SR5

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 44
Thinking AT went with on-ear ATH 60 so as not to take sales away from over-ear ATH 50.
Would buy ATH 60 if it was over-ear, but as it stands now, none of the ATH's appeal to me.

I would imagine different pads and a different housing will likely change the sound a little

Jul 22, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 44

The pads look a hell of a lot more comfortable than the M50x in Zeos' unboxing and the latter were never properly 'over-ear' for me anyway. Hopefully we'll get a few more critical impressions than what we've seen thus far (advertorials, IME), but these are clearly priced a lot more aggressively than the numbers A-T originally specified for the M70X or the MSR7. Like many on Head-Fi, the last thing I want is an on-ear with the clamping force A-T bring to many of their consumer headphones, but it would be interesting to hear what A-T have done with the driver ~3 years (?) after releasing the M50X.

Skip to 1:44 to see the pads in all their glory.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 44
(Not for the office - link contains profanity)

OK - don't shoot the messenger - this is more rant than 'review' but Zeos is clearly smitten. Probably the only reviewer who uses ' whoosh' to describe an attractive attribute in the sound of a headphone, but that's one of the few terms I can actually quote in a Head-Fi post. I'm guessing the M60X has missed the Head-Fi FOTM train, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. There are worse reviewers on YT, particularly among the 'talking hand' variety, but Zeos really struggled to keep it together in this vid,

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #9 of 44
seen this video review today...damn he is soo hyped about it :p

i think zeos should do a follow up to this review because 1 day isn't enough to really evaluate headphones, also would like to know if its good for gaming

Jul 24, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 44
Completely agree that a single day (a night, actually, if the unboxing is any guide) is nowhere near long enough but that's Zeos I guess - he shoots from the hip regardless of the outcome. Given the backlash he copped for his M50/50X thoughts, I guess he feels there's nothing to lose any more - his channel, his call.

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 44
seen this video review today...damn he is soo hyped about it :p

i think zeos should do a follow up to this review because 1 day isn't enough to really evaluate headphones, also would like to know if its good for gaming
I don't necessarily think you need too much time to review a headphone. As long as you know what to look for, you can accurately review a headphone in a matter of hours. You just need to be organized, and look for specific things. Review the bass, treble, mids, soundstage, imaging, build quality, and the overall characteristic of the sound (is it cleaner or muddier? is it more relaxed or punchy?). I would like a followup review though so Zeos can properly describe those things, but at least you can get a general idea of the sound signature from the sound demo by comparing it to the sound demo of headphones you're familiar with.

For example I'm thinking of picking up a pair of more neutral portable headphones to go with my MDR-1As which are great and I love them, but can come off as a little muddy at times, and I was able to tell from the sound demos that the M60Xs are definitely a lot less bassy and muddy than the 1As, and bleed less into the vocals especially, I think has less rolled of highs, and definitely is a bit more "edgy" in guitars compared to the MDR-1As which are by comparison much more relaxed in comparison. Hopefully you can do something similar to see if these are for you! Best wishes :smile_phones:

Jul 24, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 44
I completely get that his excitement levels prompted him to upload a review so quickly, but as he readily admits he cant accurately assess build quality having had them for ~24 hours. I have a pair of Beats Solo 2 that I bought on Tyll's recommendation and they've lasted a lot longer than I would have expected in that first week of ownership - they just seemed far too plasticky and I assumed that the Beats marketing model mandated MTBF of a little over 12 months - they're now in their 3rd year of living a hard life with little concession for either the cosmetics (the paint is almost all gone) or the pads (its now just the foam on the inside - the cosmetic black 'stuff' on the outside disintegrated about a year ago). I have no reason to doubt that the M60X will be any less resilient than the other M series models but it still irks me to see reviewers declaring build quality to be 'tank like' when there is an exposed cable between the earcups and the headband - never assume that the rest of the world treats headphones as well as you do.

Ultimately, the real issue with initial impressions being considered a formal review isnt around the headphones themselves - its new toy joy. Zeos has enough cans for the novelty to have worn off, but he openly admits that he's 'in love' with these headphones - we've all been there but its harder to be objective from that point on. When the HD800 was released, reviewer (here and elsewhere) couldn't find enough superlatives to adequately describe their admiration for Sennheiser's new flagship - that was rapidly replaced by bitching about the treble response and that has carried through to the S revision. If Zeos' claimed 'Z Effect' kicks in and A-T sell a container load (!) of M60X, great, but there are bound to be a few dissenting voices in their somewhere even if its only around the comfort issue. I'm happy to see A-T try something different - I guess we'll find out just how different as more impressions filter in.

Jul 25, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 44
Just picked these up. Mid forward and pokey. Definitely a strong bump/hump at around 1200hz. - Was expecting an enveloping sound similar to the over ear models. Instead, got a more mid focused, " ^ " shaped sound. It's very smooth sounding, but pokey in the mids. Especially at 1200hz (1.2khz). I couldn't wait for delivery based on Zeos' glowing review, so picked these up at a local store. I can't go on trusting/believing what he hears/his ears. It's just ok sounding. Good monitoring cans for voice intelligibility, and sounds in the 800-2500hz area. That's about it. Couldn't mix with them, nor enjoy music with them. That peak at 1.2khz is way too strong. The M50's & M40's are where it's at, in this line.

Jul 25, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 44
Just picked these up. Mid forward and pokey. Definitely a strong bump/hump at around 1200hz. - Was expecting an enveloping sound similar to the over ear models. Instead, got a more mid focused, " ^ " shaped sound. It's very smooth sounding, but pokey in the mids. Especially at 1200hz (1.2khz). I couldn't wait for delivery based on Zeos' glowing review, so picked these up at a local store. I can't go on trusting/believing what he hears/his ears. It's just ok sounding. Good monitoring cans for voice intelligibility, and sounds in the 800-2500hz area. That's about it. Couldn't mix with them, nor enjoy music with them. That peak at 1.2khz is way too strong. The M50's & M40's are where it's at, in this line.
Interesting... So is the 1.2k peak the reason why you think the M40X and M50Xs are better than the M60Xs, or are the M60Xs just that bad sounding overall? And do you think the peak could be resolved (or at least become more bearable) with EQ?

Jul 25, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 44
Interesting... So is the 1.2k peak the reason why you think the M40X and M50Xs are better than the M60Xs, or are the M60Xs just that bad sounding overall? And do you think the peak could be resolved (or at least become more bearable) with EQ?

I like an open, and slight "v" shape sound. So, by default, I like the 50/40's better. But in terms of balance, I'm being objective. You can mitigate with EQ, of course, but I like to enhance with EQ, not solve problems. The 60x is good for what it is. People that absolutely LOVE vocals more than anything else, will love these. Me? I'd take 50/40's over them, any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back