Audio-Technica ATH M50X
Nov 20, 2020 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

renanrischiotto

100+ Head-Fier
So, I wanna buy my first high quality headphone, and according to my research until now this is the one to go. My use will be music and games, I'm not a professional but I want a professional headphone, I wanna be amazed with a detailed, vivid, crystal clean, complex sound, with good bass, middle and trebble. I really want some chills man u.u Is this headphones the way to go? I currently have a Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma v2. It can't be more than 200 dollars.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 77
The M50X isn't /bad/ by any stretch, but I wouldn't say it's the best at that price point. That said, I don't know Brazilian prices! Can you list price for a few other models so we can get an idea of what to recommend?

For example, how much are Phillips Fidelio X2HR? Yamaha HPH-MT5?

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #3 of 77
The philips one is more expensive, it's not available the websites that I looked here, and it's open back, I would like a closed back, I think it creates a better sound overall right?
The Yamaha is not available in my country seems like.

Lemme list some headphones I can buy and I think it's good:

ATH-M50x
ATH-M40x
Beyerdynamic Dt 770 Pro 80 Ohm
Sennheiser HD 350BT
Sennheiser HD 450BT
Kuba Disco (this is a special one, it's made here by a pro brazilian audiophiler, he created a company and this is his headphone). https://www.youtube.com/c/MINDTHEHEADPHONE/videos
https://kuba.audio/disco It's very unique as you can see.

Well I don't have a lot of options seems like (or I don't have enough knowledge to know more options), I would like to mention that I need a headset with deep earcups and the possibility to replace them. The cable must be P2 (or wireless) and I won't be using any DAC or AMP. I'll use on my PC and sometimes with my smartphone. They must be over-ear of course.

These headphones mentioned are I think one of the most popular ones in this price range? Of course there is lots of other headphones so I think it's better if you suggest me one.

EDIT: Actually I found the Phillips Fidelio X2HR, but the seller is questionable lmao, and it's not closed back so.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 77
If your requirement is a closed back at this budget, the m50x is probably a fine choice. I haven't tried it personally, but it measures fairly well. Having owned the dt770, it would probably do a few things slightly better (conforms to the harman target a bit better and slightly better soundstage) , but it will be more bulky and goofy looking as well as less comfortable (pretty high clamping force).

Dynamic closed headphones in this price range perform so similarly to my ear, so it's mostly about small tradeoffs.

Oh, I forgot to mention the BD sibilance peak, so there's that to consider as well.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 77
Is there somewhere you can audition the Disco? Cause that looks really cool. Some of my favorite headphones right now are the Hyland Audio Jupiter One, which are made by a guy in England, kind of the same idea behind them.

In fact, I tell you what -- pm me so we can figure out costs. If you don't like the Disco and shipping won't be too crazy I will buy them from you.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 77
If your requirement is a closed back at this budget, the m50x is probably a fine choice. I haven't tried it personally, but it measures fairly well. Having owned the dt770, it would probably do a few things slightly better (conforms to the harman target a bit better and slightly better soundstage) , but it will be more bulky and goofy looking as well as less comfortable (pretty high clamping force).

Dynamic closed headphones in this price range perform so similarly to my ear, so it's mostly about small tradeoffs.

Oh, I forgot to mention the BD sibilance peak, so there's that to consider as well.

Thanks, so it's pretty much a solid choice. By the way, what's "BD sibiance"?

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 77
Pretty much all Beyerdynamic headphones have a sibilance peak at around 8khz that is more than a little bit. Some people don't notice it somehow, but it's about 6-7db more than most would prefer. In light of that, without EQ, I think you'll be happier with the m50x even though the dt770 does a couple things noticeably better and is probably the better headphone technically speaking. But, never leave out comfort and long term usability when evaluating what headphone is best for your needs. The m50x is smaller and has a lighter clamp and probably more comfortable for most save for the earpad size/design (but you should look into this).

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 77
Is there somewhere you can audition the Disco? Cause that looks really cool. Some of my favorite headphones right now are the Hyland Audio Jupiter One, which are made by a guy in England, kind of the same idea behind them.

In fact, I tell you what -- pm me so we can figure out costs. If you don't like the Disco and shipping won't be too crazy I will buy them from you.

It's pretty good indeed. To reduce costs, and to facilitate the modular parts, almost everything is replaceable in the Kuba Disco, the arch, the cables, the earcups, the drivers themselves... lol
Since he's a audiophiler, he has a lot of experience and knows what really matters, the sound quality. So I think the materials are good enough (the arch is made by wood btw, pretty unusual, I wonder if its fragile? he has experience in wood stuff too lol) but the focus are on the drivers. He said that they are europeans and they are the same present in the really good quality headphones at the time he was creating this headphones or something like that, something like they costed 300 euros at that time. I don't know if it's true but I don't think he is lying you know, he's a pretty cool dude and seems like he really want to help us brazilians with a good quality product without spending too much. The Kuba Disco is pretty much half the price of the ATH 50x, so I'm kinda undecided, I mean I want to buy the ATH one but If I can't I'll buy this guy headphones for sure, I wanna support people with courage to make such a investment you know, and he seems very professional, and I think he spend thousands of dollars to found a company. Most people that buy it says its good, and even says that it is worth more than it costs.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 77
So, I wanna buy my first high quality headphone, and according to my research until now this is the one to go. My use will be music and games, I'm not a professional but I want a professional headphone, I wanna be amazed with a detailed, vivid, crystal clean, complex sound, with good bass, middle and trebble. I really want some chills man u.u Is this headphones the way to go? I currently have a Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma v2. It can't be more than 200 dollars.
Hi.Unfortunately for you as a music lover the headphone market in Brasil is poor,and even the entry level models are very expensive due to import duties.I know as for the past 8 years I lived near Rio,and always went back with a few pairs to sell.
I know AKG is popular in Brasil,so why not consider the AKG K371 - a reasonably price and a decent sound.Another option would be the Beyerdynamic custom one pro less sibilance than the majority of Beyers.
If this advise was for someone in Europe or the US my response would be different, but for Brasil and with your budget the headphone available for sale there your options are heavily reduced.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 77
Hi.Unfortunately for you as a music lover the headphone market in Brasil is poor,and even the entry level models are very expensive due to import duties.I know as for the past 8 years I lived near Rio,and always went back with a few pairs to sell.
I know AKG is popular in Brasil,so why not consider the AKG K371 - a reasonably price and a decent sound.Another option would be the Beyerdynamic custom one pro less sibilance than the majority of Beyers.
If this advise was for someone in Europe or the US my response would be different, but for Brasil and with your budget the headphone available for sale there your options are heavily reduced.

Hello, thanks for the response, yeah things are tough money-wise. I like the design of this AKG (the design is pretty similar to the Kuba Disco), it has a good price too. All is left to know is if its modular (at least the earcups are replaceable?).
I didn't quite understand what you meant with "Beyerdynamic custom one pro".

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 77
It is a model of headphone. The Custom One Pro.

Nov 20, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #13 of 77
Hello, thanks for the response, yeah things are tough money-wise. I like the design of this AKG (the design is pretty similar to the Kuba Disco), it has a good price too. All is left to know is if its modular (at least the earcups).
I didn't quite understand what you meant with "Beyerdynamic custom one pro".
Hi,I think the custom one pro is for sale in Brasil but not 100% sure.It is considered an improvement on the dt770,and has adjustable bass in the earcups.
Earpads replacement might be the only issue for you for the k371.I know I had issues with both headband and earpads in Brasil deteriorating quickly due to the humidity.
For the price in Brasil I would think the k371 should definitely be considered - a step up in music quality to the ath m50s.
With the exchange rate of the real you have problems.

Nov 20, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #15 of 77
Hi,I think the custom one pro is for sale in Brasil but not 100% sure.It is considered an improvement on the dt770,and has adjustable bass in the earcups.
Earpads replacement might be the only issue for you for the k371.I know I had issues with both headband and earpads in Brasil deteriorating quickly due to the humidity.
For the price in Brasil I would think the k371 should definitely be considered - a step up in music quality to the ath m50s.
With the exchange rate of the real you have problems.

Yeah not being able to change the earpads is a deal braker to me :frowning2:

EDIT: Yeah I don't think there's this The Custom One Pro version here.

EDIT²: Why do you say that the AKG is better than the ATH50x?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back