Audio-Technica ATH-M50x best of its price? Significant upgrade to Audio-Technica AD700?
Dec 3, 2014 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mindstormer

New Head-Fier
I own Audio-Technica AD700 and now, I'm having issues with the left sound working only when the cable is tilted a certain way (cat damaged cable). Also, sound leakage is a bit of a problem. Came across ATH-M50x + an audio recorder of ~$80 value for $144 after rebate, obviously a good deal. I don't really need the audio recorder and I can probably sell it but I'm looking for the best headphone I can get for ~$150-200. It's for general purpose (I'm on the computer for 8+ hours wearing a headphone) and I listen to classical music so I guess clarity and soundstage is important. I can spend maybe $300 but only if there's a significant upgrade in quality.

I've heard that ATH-M50x was one of the best of its class, but those reviews were years ago and I'm sure there are probably better options now.

Thanks.

P.S. I always hear a faint static noise when I use my HiFiMan RE-400 earphones (or any EARphones in general) on my computer. What is the issue and how can I fix this? It's really irritating and prevents me from actually using earphones.

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 5
  I own Audio-Technica AD700 and now, I'm having issues with the left sound working only when the cable is tilted a certain way (cat damaged cable). Also, sound leakage is a bit of a problem. Came across ATH-M50x + an audio recorder of ~$80 value for $144 after rebate, obviously a good deal. I don't really need the audio recorder and I can probably sell it but I'm looking for the best headphone I can get for ~$150-200. It's for general purpose (I'm on the computer for 8+ hours wearing a headphone) and I listen to classical music so I guess clarity and soundstage is important. I can spend maybe $300 but only if there's a significant upgrade in quality.

I've heard that ATH-M50x was one of the best of its class, but those reviews were years ago and I'm sure there are probably better options now.

Thanks.

P.S. I always hear a faint static noise when I use my HiFiMan RE-400 earphones (or any EARphones in general) on my computer. What is the issue and how can I fix this? It's really irritating and prevents me from actually using earphones.

EDIT: Oops, clicked "quote" instead of "edit" to my original post, can't find a way to delete this post.

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 5
Sidegrade.  AD700 is very comfortable and you can wear it for hours.  It has an open, spacious sound with a relatively uncolored midrange.  It suffers in coherency (really not that bad considering its price), and bass.

M50 has a cramped sound with a colored midrange and a somewhat abrasive treble with boomy bass, but its bass does extend pretty well-- something of which the AD700 does not.  Its sound is slightly more coherent and defined as well.  It's also less comfy.

Since you're wearing headphones for 8 hours spans, M50 probably isn't worth it.  

The static noise of the RE400 with your computer is likely the fault of the computer's on-board sound and not having a low noisefloor.

If you listen to primarily classical and/or orchestral, which tend to be mid-centric recordings, then the DT990 pro might not be a bad choice in a similar price range.  It has an immense treble spike, but it shouldn't prove too troublesome with instrumentals, however with modern rock or pop it will be awful.

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 5
I listen to primarily mainstream music and classical (not entirely sure the features I should be looking for). Either way, since it is for computer use, it should be general purpose and realistic). I heard that the M50X sounds better and is definitely more comfortable than M50. I was actually looking at the DT990 pro since it is also on sale (~$132 at Amazon after rebate), but reviews said it pretty much needed an amp and like you said tends to have spikes. People claimed that it had a "euphoric" feel to it--it sounded good in its own way, but isn't what you really want if you want realstic accuracy. I considered getting it because I listen to classical but it probably isn't too good as a general purpose headhone. Also, I just want to listen what is true to its source/real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back