Audio Technica ATH-M50s or Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO?
Aug 10, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 8
I haven't heard DT 770 pro but from what i've read they match up bout equal to the M50. As you know the M50 are semi-portable and can be collapsed etc.

I own M50 with the coiled cable and im very happy with them although it took me some time to get use to the pleader cushions but they are very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 8
Electronic music is best if through a Grado like sound can.

In all seriousness, I mean this by the greatest means. When you play bass heavy music through a bass heavy can, it turn out WAY too bassy. So a bass light can playing bass heavy music shines.

If you want beyer, get the 32ohm version unless you have a amp, then 250ohm or a really good amp then get the 600ohm. 

Beyer would be good and the M50's would be lacking there. But I find Beyer boring because they aren't very forward so I have to toss out and tell you to get a Grado or HD598.

Just my $0.02

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 8
They're both kind of a bit smiley curved for monitoring.  However I'd go with the beyers over M50 for electronic any day.  They're also more comfortable too, so better music listening experience.  Very bright treble gives lots of sparkle, but recessed mids gives a more laid back soundstage. 

I sorta disagree about bass heavy songs sounding too bassy on bass heavy cans.  Synthesized music isn't acoustic, so there really isn't any objective means of measuring fidelity or quality-- it's mostly purely subjective based on each individuals preferences in sound.

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 8
If the source you are using is a headphones amp. (AC powered) or stereo receiver, get the DT-770 80-Ohm (take advantage of that 80-Ohms)
If your using a portable music source, mp3 player etc., I'm going to guess the M50s lower Ohms (38-Ohm) will be less draining on the battery.
Also the M50s should be easier to travel with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back