Audio Technica ATH-M50s or Allen & Heath Xone XD-53?
Jul 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Adeeza

New Head-Fier
After using IEMs for more than 4 years I have decided that I would like to have a set of over-ear headphones as well.  Now if that was the extent of my dilemma, I would just go with the ATH-M50s; however recently I have gotten into mixing and producing electronic music and would like to perform in the future once I improve.  I would like to use the headphones while performing as well as an "everyday" set of cans.Now my question is should I save myself the $80 or so and buy the M50s or make the investment and buy the XD-53s since they look more durable, have "better" sound and a removable cord?  I would appreciate all personal input on the matter,
Thanks.

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 10
Lol, what the heck is this XD-53 business? I know it's not good to criticize something without hearing it but, really, what is "Allen and Heath"? I would sincerely like to know how you even got recommended that. Just get a well-reviewed can around here for DJ use. ATH-M50, Sony MDR-V6, or Koss Pro DJ100 are well regarded.

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 10
I believe the M50 will be plenty durable for your use, and sound just about the same. You can put the rest of the money towards something else more worthwhile.
Quote:
These are the Allen and Heath's http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?catId=XoneSeries&ProductId=XoneXD253&SubCatId=   They caught my attention when I heard they used Audio Technica Drivers, from what I can tell they are a more durable, better sounding version of the ATH M50s but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $80

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 10
I think they sound great. Those are the ones I grab when Im doing gigs, especially when the club is very loud or they have monitors right next to me for mixing. There are 2 versions, the xd-53 (which i use, they sound better than the newer model), and the xd2-53. The xd2 model has a detachable cable, a slight cosmetic change, slightly different sound sig (actually its vastly different when you are listening to em for longer periods)

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 10
If Im correct, allen & heath headphones are the only DJ headphones that have the 53mm driver, hence the name xd-53. Ive used many many "DJ" headphones, and xd-53 are my favorite. They are accurate as hell, very punchy, and detailed. When youre playing at a club with loads of people talking loud because obviously the music is very loud, you need a headphone thats going to grab your attention on all frequencies. Especially the low freq. These do a great job when I need to really dial in on the mix. Whatever I hear in the xd-53s, will always play true out of the club speakers. A pair to consider if youre on the market for "DJ headphones".
The only complain I have about these is that they are pretty heavy and that may cause discomfort if you are playing a long set. Ive been mixing at home since Ive stopped doing gigs and the Senn HD25-mk2 are uber good. Ridiculously good seal, comfortable, light, and swivel back for having 1 ear open for listening to whats happening out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back