Audio Technica ATH - M50
Oct 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NandoCv

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone! I'm new here and I'm from Perú so my english could be a little bit poor, sorry!, whatever... I think to buy a M50 because some reviews just say wonderful things about this cans. I hear Rock, Hard rock, metal, pop, salsa, ballad, etc. Do you recommend me this headphones? And is there others who sound better for same price?

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 13
Oct 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 13
The Shure SRH440 is a very nice headphone but it is not really in the same league as the M50, to be honest... The bass rolls off on the SRH440 very early and this causes them to be quite bass light and bright sounding. The M50 is a far more balanced headphone.

Oct 3, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
Hey everyone! I'm new here and I'm from Perú so my english could be a little bit poor, sorry!, whatever... I think to buy a M50 because some reviews just say wonderful things about this cans. I hear Rock, Hard rock, metal, pop, salsa, ballad, etc. Do you recommend me this headphones? And is there others who sound better for same price?

Heya,

Brainwavz HM5 (MP4nation.net; free world wide shipping, with a free stand too)
Shure SRH840
Ultrasone HFI 780
Beyer DT770 PRO

Very best,

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 13
+1 SRH 840. A bit top heavy but not much worse than M50. More comfortable ear pads. Much more balanced sound. Less bass but tighter and more engaging and controlled all around.

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 13
Hi, I think the Shure SRH840 is about at the same level as the M50, but the SRH440 is a bit worse than either. As I said, the bass rolls off and there is also a midrange shout that is quite edgy for some people. The M50 is a popular headphone to hate (since it is simply a very popular headphone, many people have heard it and many people used it as their entry into high quality headphones. The white box version (ie. the currently available version) of the M50 is more neutral than older versions of this headphone, with the mids not being recessed as much. IMO the M50 is a very good headphone, very clean and clear, with a punchy sound. It lacks some subtlety as everything is rendered as punchy with them, but quite enjoyable for most music and also quite good for production work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back