Audio Technica ATH M50
Apr 24, 2012 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bob2299

Head-Fier
of course i've seen many glowing reviews for both headphones

are the m50's far beyond the 280 pros or just a little better? (sound quality)

i've had my 280's for about 3 years with my denon avr 791 and I've got about 140$ 

please no harsh comments

Apr 24, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 19
forgot to mention i listen to dubstep,classical,rock,video game music.... im kinda all over the map

just want a nice balanced sound (some bass)

the only other headphones that really caught my attention were the denon d2000's 

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 19
How much are you into gaming? i dont see a good idea using the M50's for games. 

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
How much are you into gaming? i dont see a good idea using the M50's for games. 

I'm not sure if he meant actually playing games, but the game soundtracks (OST). 
But you're right - soundstage on the M50s isn't anything great. Something like the AD700s would be much much better~

Quote:
forgot to mention i listen to dubstep,classical,rock,video game music.... im kinda all over the map

just want a nice balanced sound (some bass)

the only other headphones that really caught my attention were the denon d2000's 

Hi-5! Our tastes in music are practically identical!

Perhaps I'm too late saying ths, but about the M50s - I have them. I'd say, even though they have a V-shape in sound, they're pretty good for most genres. But of course, they are ESPECIALLY good for your (and my) music preferences. The bass is fast and accurate, goes very low along with some nice punch, and coming at the top with a gentle and sparkly treble. I love it 
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 19
The M50's are great for bass oriented music such as dubstep and whatnot. But they aren't so heavy that they muddy up everything else. So, they are good for all sorts of different types of music. I'd go with the M50's. That's my opinion, hope this helped.

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 19
Since you want a more nuetral sound with a little bit of bass, the m50 and the dennon 2k(basshead amount) arn't the best choice,seeing how bass happy they are.I feel somthing along the lines fischer fa 003(clones) or akg k550, would be to your liking since there nuetral with a nice amount of bass.

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 19
wow,old post

i went with the d2000's

very happy with them 

on to something more important, i was wondering if the fiio e7 had anything the e10 doesn't?
im considering one of these,and trying to keep it under 100$
laptop > fiio > denon avr 791 > headphones,but also have something portable

and i read that the fiio's (the one's i mentioned) have hissing?

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2299 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

on to something more important, i was wondering if the fiio e7 had anything the e10 doesn't?
im considering one of these,and trying to keep it under 100$
laptop > fiio > denon avr 791 > headphones,but also have something portable

and i read that the fiio's (the one's i mentioned) have hissing?

The E7 can be used as a portable amp. The E10 cannot. If you want a portable amp save up for the E17.  The E10 & E17 are considerably better than the E7.

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

The E7 can be used as a portable amp. The E10 cannot. If you want a portable amp save up for the E17.  The E10 & E17 are considerably better than the E7.

I'd have to agree here. But if you are on a budget, the E7 is a very good portable amp as is. I own one. It is perfectly fine for my audio needs. However, the E7 is not for everyone. If you want your 'phones to be LOUD, there are definitely better options out there. I don't listen loud, so the E7 fits the bill. If I had to choose between the E10 and the E17, I'd save up and get the E17. It's just a better all-round amp. Again, this is just my opinion.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 19
thanks for the responses

well im mainly worried about if it will get rid this fuzzy buzzing noise my laptop makes(im using rca cables from my laptop headphone jack to my AVR) only when
connected to my avr,and this hissing noise i've read about the fiio's 

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
thanks for the responses

well im mainly worried about if it will get rid this fuzzy buzzing noise my laptop makes(im using rca cables from my laptop headphone jack to my AVR) only when
connected to my avr,and this hissing noise i've read about the fiio's 

I've had the the E7 and E10 and never had any hissing problems. I'm guessing the hissing you've been reading about is when they are used with IEMs.  If you are going to use it with a receiver you would only use it as a DAC.  Any of the Fiio products will be much better than the headphone out on your computer.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 19
yes, ok thats one down thanks

for portability i'll mostly be using my 280's
will is still be looking at the e17 for more volume? 

does anyone know some places with low(er) prices for the e17? other than amazon or ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back