Audio-Technica ATH-M50???
Nov 25, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kebbin15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys for the replies...

Finally! I'm going to buy my M50 on Christmas! Thanks all for the VERY GOOD advice. After this, I will start saving money to buy Beyerdynamic DT880 which I heard it has an impressive bass. and also an iBasso D10 Cobra amp!

You should hear the DT880 in person first--it has a treble spike that can be too sharp/bright on some material (such as songs with big and sharp snare hits). The M50 doesn't have that problem, and has really prominent and accurate bass, beating out even the HD650.

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #17 of 26
Just got my m50s
atsmile.gif

I love them. They are so fine...
With my Cowon S9 they sound great (for me). The bass is great just like everything else (I use them with my custom EQ settings).
I wonder how will they act after some burn-in sessions
bigsmile_face.gif

QENEXEtvAwICXl9MEgVR

Nov 26, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The M50's are one of the most accurate and neutral headphones I have every owned, and it's the only headphone in my collection that can reproduce the chest-thumping lower oomph of my $7,000 Klein + Hummel O 300D's (though it's reproduced in the head, not in the chest). I highly recommend it if you care about neutral accurate sound. I'm not a fan of pleather earcups though, but some people don't mind them. The soundstage of the M50 is also smaller than the really lush headphones like the Sennheiser HD6XX/HD5XX series.

The DT250 velour pads fit them. I've been meaning to get some, but haven't yet. I've read it does change the sound, but it's unclear how much.

Nov 26, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeNmAc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT250 velour pads fit them. I've been meaning to get some, but haven't yet. I've read it does change the sound, but it's unclear how much.

I just recently tried the DT250 pads. They fit great and are very comfortable but after a few hours of listening I noticed that the bass was very muddy for my taste. I switched back to the stock pads and found that it was the DT250 pads doing this. Disappointing
frown.gif
. Other people have said they didn't mind the new sound though.

Dec 1, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #22 of 26
Hi guys.. i saw DENON AH-D1001S at headRoom site which is $90. I'm just wondering if I should get it right now or should I save more for Audio-Technica M50. What do you think?

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gtarguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just recently tried the DT250 pads. They fit great and are very comfortable but after a few hours of listening I noticed that the bass was very muddy for my taste. I switched back to the stock pads and found that it was the DT250 pads doing this. Disappointing
frown.gif
. Other people have said they didn't mind the new sound though.

The pleather pads may produce a better 'seal' between the outside and the drivers - the bass might remain tighter. But yes I've heard similar complaints.

Opening this up I think I'm starting to understand how the bass works. There are 8 small holes that surround the driver baffle (the flat bit of plastic that has the driver attached to it) - and then the inside of the earcups are stuffed with a velvety foam stuff. As far as I can see its basically the same principle as a bass port design for speakers. The sound resonates in the earcups at its resonate frequency (I'm guessing 70 - 80 hertz) and then filters through the small holes, this giving a bass boost.

I would like to 'tune' the resonant frequency to be lower. May also help clean up any muddy bass produce by velour pads etc - I find the bass about 10% too much in quantity.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pleather pads may produce a better 'seal' between the outside and the drivers - the bass might remain tighter. But yes I've heard similar complaints.

Opening this up I think I'm starting to understand how the bass works. There are 8 small holes that surround the driver baffle (the flat bit of plastic that has the driver attached to it) - and then the inside of the earcups are stuffed with a velvety foam stuff. As far as I can see its basically the same principle as a bass port design for speakers. The sound resonates in the earcups at its resonate frequency (I'm guessing 70 - 80 hertz) and then filters through the small holes, this giving a bass boost.

I would like to 'tune' the resonant frequency to be lower. May also help clean up any muddy bass produce by velour pads etc - I find the bass about 10% too much in quantity.

I tried the velour pads finally. They lasted about 10 minutes. They totally destroyed the frequency response. The thing about the M50's is that from what I've observed they rely on a good seal for bass quantity. If you've ever tried them without the pads they sound really bright. The velour pads have a really tight seal around the earcups, the pleather fits a little looser.

Bascally, the velour pads add bass and subtract everything else, especially mids. It felt like there was loads of bass and recessed mids. They were fairly comfortable, but not enough to balance out the destroyed sound signature.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #26 of 26
I have also tried the velour pads, but I must say my reaction was the complete opposite of ZeNmAc's. It's hard to describe the change, but to me the difference is only slight in most cases. The bass might be a little over the top now, but usually it's not too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back