audio technica ath-m50 vs hifiman he400
Feb 20, 2013 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

the5chord

New Head-Fier
How to these compare? I have a pair of Grado RS1i's that I love for rock but I have been listening to some more bass heavy music lately. I have tried the HE-400's out about a year ago and loved the amount of sub bass. I don't live anywhere near a place that sells headphones like this. So any input would be great. If I could get away with spending 150 instead of 400$ that would be great or would I be missing a lot?

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 10
I haven't tried either of these headphones, but i'd imagine that the HE 400's are very much superior to the M50's in terms of sound quality.

Both headphones are apparently fantastic performers for their price range, so you could expect the HE 400's to sound quite a bit better than the M50's considering its in a different price range.

But how much better, I couldn't tell you.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 10
The biggest upgrade would be the spaciousness of the sound.  M50 isn't very spacious in its sound, things seem very crammed together.  The amount of instrument separation HE-400 throws at you during complex passages is great too, when things harmonize together the HE-400 picks different tones apart very well.  M50's bass will seem cavernous in comparison to the HE-400, but it's a very fun bass.

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Have you owned both? What puts it in a different class? Or is that a dumb question?

Yes I have owned both.

Different class as in HE400's clarity, resolution, transparency, realism, etc etc are far far ahead of M50's. The sheer difference in performance makes it pointless to compare the two more than saying that "one is in a whole different class relative to the other".

An analogy would be that you never see written car comparison reviews between Hyundais and Porsches, because there is no need to.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 10
if this was your first headphone purchase, then I would compare the M50's to the HE-400's in terms of which would be a better value for your needs.
however, since you already own the Grado RS1i's, the M50's would be a downgrade for you. coming from the RS1i's, the lack of detail in the M50's (by comparison) would make them sound like rubbish.

to answer your question: yes, you would be missing a lot going with the M50's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back