Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 -Sennheiser HD595 - Grado SR80i - Shure SRH840
Jul 9, 2011 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

jnevi9nr

New Head-Fier
PLEASE help me choose the best phones for my ears.  Pros vs. Cons of each - Best overall sound?  

Audio-Technica ATH-M50  - Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10  -Sennheiser HD595  - Grado SR80i - Shure SRH840

Thanks so much!

Jay

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 30
I had the TF 10's and they were AMAZING very cleeeeeeear and the vocals were go **** AMAZIIINNNNGG really amazing texture and sound, but i traded them for headphones cause i wanted more bass, i a basshead :p but you will NOT be dissapointed with those...TRUST ME

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 30
actually, I am a bass head as well.  i guess I should have posted that bass is the most important thing.  I want my bass to sound really good.  not muddy.  i listen to 90s modern rock - like RATM, Tool, Radiohead, Pearl Jam and DMB.  

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 30

Quote:
PLEASE help me choose the best phones for my ears.  Pros vs. Cons of each - Best overall sound?  

Audio-Technica ATH-M50  - Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10  -Sennheiser HD595  - Grado SR80i - Shure SRH840

Thanks so much!

Jay

Bassy, muddied everything, doesn't need an amp - IEM, popular, but will hurt your ears after a while. Not good for a only headphone, only portable please - Great sound, great comfort, cheaper, but strong construction. Best value in the bunch, $180 call up J&R and worth $400  - Cheaper in group, good for all around and first headphone. Good for portable and home. Needs new pad though, get G-cush for around and L-cush for on ear DO NOT NEED AMP - meh, good balance but I rate my headphones on shure. You get what you paid for, but they are good at all the aspects. Not too portable. and might need an amp

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 30

Quote:
actually, I am a bass head as well.  i guess I should have posted that bass is the most important thing.  I want my bass to sound really good.  not muddy.  i listen to 90s modern rock - like RATM, Tool, Radiohead, Pearl Jam and DMB.  

Oh then for those it's not a problem at all, I meant for real bass music - Trance like http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/53428158/file.html

where having a huge bass makes it AWESOME. It's good bass, but not WHOA but it does give you that "full" feeling and the vocals on the TF10 are WORTH IT , never heard em sound better than on those.

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 30
Dude, for hard rock and metal? Grados all the way no question at all.

For classic rock, the best midrange and most refined sound around? Get the Shures!

Beyond that get the m50 for an all rounder or an Ultrasone for fun, absolutely solid choices as well!

Jul 10, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #12 of 30

Quote:
grado all the way. also, as an avid trance listener. screw having a bunch of bass. anyways back to rock. the grado for sure

LOL WHAT?! The avid trance listener says "screw having a bunch of bass"

Go kill yourself now please.

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #14 of 30
I personally don't see ANY redeeming qualities trance has besides giving you lots of visceral bass (and with headphones that's already near impossible to produce compared to full-sized speaker arrays)  Same goes for that dubstep mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back