Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Sony MDR 7509HD ??
Sep 19, 2011 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

zacci

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

My first post here and lets say a newbie on the audiophile headphones. Hope you guys could help, I'm eyeing on buying either the M50 or 7509HD for my practice mainly in my digital piano and maybe to listen some music at home. Which one do you think is better? I saw a lot of good reviews on M50 here on head-fi and some other sites but not so many for the MDR7509HD. I don't know but I don't see a lot of reviews for the Sony for some reason and people here dont talk about it that much. :3 The two headphones have like little difference in price as what I am seeing right now. And again im gonna use it for me piano practice. Hoping on buying next week!

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Zac

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks malveaux. well actually that is one of my choices but I've heard there were some complains about having very warm on the ear and cause of sweating sometimes? im not sure but is this really one case for the SRH840? I like it really comfortable and would wear it for hours. But thanks really I would go back on the srh840 for considerations.

oh yeah i saw this too, on their 'what we think' section http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sony-mdr-7509hd.php
this one also helped as I also listen to lots of classical music.
I'm thinking if you want cleaner and more refined, detailed music go for the sony and for more bass and on the go, go for the m50. Just my 2 cents though.

Thanks again,
Zac

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 11
Heya,

They're no more warm or anything than any other headphone with leather pads that touch your skin that are closed (thus keeping body heat more).

I would still put the SRH840 over the Sony & AudioTechnica for classical and piano in all respects.

If you want more headphones to choose from, check out the Fischer Audio FA-003, GoldRing DR150, Sennheiser HD598 (or HD598), BeyerDynamic DT880, AKG K272 HD and/or K240 MKII, and AudioTechnica AD900.

Very best,

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 11
7509HD

to me, almost perfect headphone. Great for anything. Except, the pads wear out quickly. If you know how to sew the inner seem, it's a easy fix that keeps you from having any more problems.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 11
Although the M50 is listed as a monitor headphone, it's a very lively set, not unlike a pair of Grados; however, the M50s have a slightly more restricted sound-stage. Since you're just practicing piano you don't have to worry about a lot of sound separation, and the M50s would probably serve you well for both practice and casual listening.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks very much for the inputs guys. :)

@Blaak, what do you mean by sound stage? sorry not familiar with that term. yeah I'm not really into mixing / monitoring music, just need something for practice which have a good 'acoustic' sound to it.

@BotByte, Is there any way to change the pads? like could you get some new pads online to change it?

Thanks again for the inputs. I'm adding the SRH840 from my choices now. Still thinking about what to choose! I'm thinking I could buy either of the three and get the other one when I get extra money on December, just so that I could have my own little comparison and on the go headphones.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:

@Blaak, what do you mean by sound stage? sorry not familiar with that term. yeah I'm not really into mixing / monitoring music, just need something for practice which have a good 'acoustic' sound to it.

@BotByte, Is there any way to change the pads? like could you get some new pads online to change it?

Thanks again for the inputs. I'm adding the SRH840 from my choices now. Still thinking about what to choose! I'm thinking I could buy either of the three and get the other one when I get extra money on December, just so that I could have my own little comparison and on the go headphones.

Soundstage is how much the audio moves away from you. It makes you believe that what you hear is farther from you then it really is.

I haven't tried changing out the pads. But you can also buy replacements. But if you just sew the inner seam that MIGHT break open, it fixes this. I say MIGHT because some people report no damage and some do. I'm one of the unlucky ones.

Otherwise that is the only downfall to one of the greatest headphones I've ever listened to.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:

By sound-stage I am referring to the illusory, perceived quality which exists within the production of the sound itself. A pair of cans with a superior sound-stage will appear to give you the same dimensions of depth you may experience from sitting in front of an actual band playing live on stage.

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 11
both excellent choices. i slightly prefer the sony -- if find it somewhat more balanced with better highs. also seems more rugged.

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks again. In the end I'm gonna choose to get the SRH840 this coming Thursday, basing on my musical preferences and needs, I have tried both Sony and shure from friends of mine (didn't even know they have these) and I don't know for me they sounded a bit similar, plus I love them both, they sound so clear and accurate. srh840 is kinda bulky though but it doesn't matter though as I wont be going out with it. Played some Anthony green, Chopin and Jobim tracks on both but Shure has more like a mellow steady sound to it. Anyway, This is going to be my FIRST audiophile headphone and I hope Im making the right decision on these! Oh and yeah Im also planning on getting still either Sony or the AT on December for Christmas lol. If I find someone or somewhere where i could try the mh50 then we'll see but for now Its Shure and the Sony. Again thank you guys for sharing, really appreciate it!

Zac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back