Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or Shure SRH840 ?
Aug 4, 2013 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

slair76116

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I'm buying this as studio monitor headphones

Which would be better?

Or if you have any other recommendations for less than $160 please?

Closed studio monitor headphones.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 31
Both are good, although the ATH-M50 is a bit more neutral and less rolled off at either extreme. Neither can is particularly comfortable though, so long-hour studio work might be a burden with them. In the price range, some good alternatives are the KRK KNS8400, Fischer Audio FA-003 and the Fostex T50RP.

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 31
Both are good, although the ATH-M50 is a bit more neutral and less rolled off at either extreme. Neither can is particularly comfortable though, so long-hour studio work might be a burden with them. In the price range, some good alternatives are the KRK KNS8400, Fischer Audio FA-003 and the Fostex T50RP.

I personally find the ATH-M50 to have a v-shape curve in the frequency!

Billson :)

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:
I personally find the ATH-M50 to have a v-shape curve in the frequency!

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

They have a v-shape curve in their frequency response graphs but when you look at their CSD measurements, it reveals that there is a bit of extra energy in the mid frequencies and this makes up for the V-shaped frequency response. Personally, I can attest to this being pretty accurate as I found my white-box M50s to sound quite neutral and not as V-shaped as many people would have you believe. I'd say they are actually pretty flat sounding overall, with a slight emphasis on the bass and treble, but not as much as on say, the Beyerdynamic DT770.

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 31
Both seem like good choices for this application and it will come down (I guess as it always does) to personal preference and comfort.  

FWIW, I've used the M50's for years, carrying them back and forth to work, jamming them in my backpack and bicycle panniers and they've held up exceedingly well.  So construction is sturdy.  The pleather earpads do inevitably crack. They are still wearable but the surface becomes less smooth and that will affects on-ear comfort. 

While the M50s fit circumaurally on my ears, I've seen more than one report here that others find them to press against their ears.  

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 31
They have a v-shape curve in their frequency response graphs but when you look at their CSD measurements, it reveals that there is a bit of extra energy in the mid frequencies and this makes up for the V-shaped frequency response. Personally, I can attest to this being pretty accurate as I found my white-box M50s to sound quite neutral and not as V-shaped as many people would have you believe. I'd say they are actually pretty flat sounding overall, with a slight emphasis on the bass and treble, but not as much as on say, the Beyerdynamic DT770.

but I have tested them before reading any graph and I do find the mids to be slightly behind the music to my ears.

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:
but I have tested them before reading any graph and I do find the mids to be slightly behind the music to my ears.

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

And when was this? Did you test the white-box version or the older version? The older version definitely has more of a V-shaped sound signature, the white-box only very slightly so. In fact, I'd say that the curve is ideal for low-volume listening as it follows the Fletcher-Munson curve pretty well, and therefore sounds neutral at a low volume.

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:
And when was this? Did you test the white-box version or the older version? The older version definitely has more of a V-shaped sound signature, the white-box only very slightly so. In fact, I'd say that the curve is ideal for low-volume listening as it follows the Fletcher-Munson curve pretty well, and therefore sounds neutral at a low volume.

Probably the old version? I tested it last year December :)

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 31
Im not a pro is this area, So I it safe to say that they are pretty similar but most of you guys are leaning on the Audio-Technica ATH-M50?

Thanks a bunch

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 31
Well, I'd personally lean towards the M50 myself, but truth be told, the M50 vs SRH840 debate is an ongoing one that has been around for years :) As usual, it is best to audition both before buying. One thing that I can say with certainty is that the M50 is more comfortable (ironically, it is even more comfortable with SRH840 pads) since the SRH840 is rather heavy and exerts a fair amount of force on the top of the head.

Actually, I'd say that the Fostex mentioned earlier is better than either the M50 or the SRH840, so please also consider that can. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 31
Just to give you a quick comparison between SRH-840 and ATH-M50

Starting from the lows, the ATH-M50 offer more bass, slightly bloated to me but for basshead, you will definitely love it! As for mids, SRH-840 wins! It's smooth and warm. Both highs are pretty clear! SRH-840 have better soundstage and instrument separation!

Just my 0.02!

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #15 of 31
Just to give you a quick comparison between SRH-840 and ATH-M50

Starting from the lows, the ATH-M50 offer more bass, slightly bloated to me but for basshead, you will definitely love it! As for mids, SRH-840 wins! It's smooth and warm. Both highs are pretty clear! SRH-840 have better soundstage and instrument separation!

Just my 0.02!

The bass on the M50's is definitely not for a basshead. Maybe it's the blue box version you're talking about, but the one I have has a very slight bass boost. You are right about the mids, they're a bit pushed back, but not that much though. I found the highs a bit too much on some tracks, so the SRH840 might be better for long listening sessions because of the rolled off treble.

Still, I'd take them over the 840's because of better comfort and build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back