Audio Technica ATH-M50 How much bass?
Jul 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

OliverBB

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on these headphones. What keeps me hesitant is the bass. I know they are often mentioned as being bass heavy. How much is there? I am NOT looking for that head rattling thump that a lot of people seem to like.
For a reference the Klipsch Image One's almost immediately hurt my ears from the "thumping".  So over the top.
I listen to a lot of classic rock- for instance, will McCartney's bass be overbearing, Bonham's kick drum go through my head? 
I'll  probably be listening to mostly lossless/high bit rate mp3's. Not really interested in using an amp either.

Thanks!

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 15
They're not that bad. I find the bass intrudes somewhat into the mids, but we're not talking about XB500's.

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
You can further improve the bass in ATH-M50 with a headphone amp such as digizoid ZO2 or Fiio E11.

I'm kind of on a budget right now that doesn't include an amp. By improve though does that mean it makes it more forceful (impact?) or that it controls it a little more?  At some point later I possibly could pick up an amp.

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
So I ended up buying them on amazon for $125. I figured that considering it's one of the most recommended headphones ever, I had to at least try them out. 

Congratulations! I say that's a good decision. And hey, if the bass is too much for you, as Bill Nye said, consider the following:

1: Buy some velour earpads (like I did with my very similar Monoprice 8323) and get some better SQ.

2: I know this sounds horrible, but trust me on this one. Drill small holes in the shells. It opens the sound up.

But definitely consider the earpad mod. Definitely worth the 25 bucks.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Congratulations! I say that's a good decision. And hey, if the bass is too much for you, as Bill Nye said, consider the following:

1: Buy some velour earpads (like I did with my very similar Monoprice 8323) and get some better SQ.

2: I know this sounds horrible, but trust me on this one. Drill small holes in the shells. It opens the sound up.

But definitely consider the earpad mod. Definitely worth the 25 bucks.

Just curious-how is the SQ better with the velour pads?

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 15
As an owner of the headphones, and a previous owner of Skullcandy Skullcrushers (Subwoofers in each ear) I can safely say the amount of bass the ATH-M50 Headphones possesses is nowhere near overwhelming. The overall un-equalized output from any standard mobile device, computer, or music player is actually very well defined and, rather than steal the spotlight from the other elements of the song, it compliments them very nicely. As a side note, the overall sound quality and attention to details is remarkable too. On topic however, I do not believe that the initial amount of bass output is very solid and well balanced, as the advertised, "solid bass" in the commercial. In fact, im listening to the Zedd Remix of SM&NS by Skrillex and I am very comfortable and happy in my current state. Moments ago I was listening to Awake And Alive by Skillet. John Cooper came through clearly on bass, and Jen Ledger's kickline comes through well. One thing i would reccomend for your mobile device, however, is if you do feel like you need a little more bass, an equalizer setting, or a new music player app may be necessary, because the initial, unedited bassline isn't overwhelming, but it isnt enough to some people in particular. The bass booster EQ's or alteration of the 31 and 62 EQ bars does the trick nicely. I actually went and did just that and am satisfied with the results

As an instrumentalist, (I play drums and electric bass) I can also state that they perform very well when partnered with monitoring and simple playing. I plug my bass into my amp, then my headphones, and just play away. The treble portion comes through very well, and the low ends are well produced as well. As for my drum kit, i am very impressed as well. The high-end sizzle of the high-hats, the pang of the snare, and the thud of the kick are all very well reproduced in my headphones. Overall, I am very satisfied with the Audio-Technica M50's and I would recommend them to any musician or producer working on a budget that needs solid sound. I picked up my pair for $120.00 brand new and i have not been let down thus far. 

I'm not a person who believes in making false claims or claims i can't support with evidence, so what you've read is all of the things I have experienced with my headphones. I am a very satisfied customer and would definitely buy more in the line if the need arose. I hope my review was beneficial to your thinking.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
quote.gif

They have a fair amount. They are quite a boring average set of phones though. The dt770 is a better choice IMOuch better quality bass and crisp overall. The athm50 are quite muddy but they are decent if you have never heard good phones.

The dt990 also have been recommended in other threads. But then again in one review (of dt990 vs he400) the later was described has having much better bass, so its all price dependant. The m50 in their segment are great.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #15 of 15
The M50's benefit from an amp because the bass is bloated. It isn't overwhelming, but it bleeds into the mids somewhat, the sub bass has nice extension but the mid bass is a bit muddy. An amp tends to tighten up the mid bass on the M50's so that it has more punch and sounds a bit more natural. 

The M50's are a good headphone in my opinion, but they don't match well with classic rock. They will definitely perform better listening to McCartney with an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back