Audio Technica ATH-M50, BLACK or WHITE?
Jul 17, 2012 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

shervin1

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi Forum, I literally joined this site a few minutes ago and this would be my very first post. So if in anyway I'm doing something wrong please don't yell at me :p

Also, I apologize if this question has been asked already but I'm really interested to know what people's thoughts are on the Audio Technica ATH-M50's black and white models. I'd like to know if most people prefer the black or white version. I personally think the white one looks extremely stylish and modern, however, it will probably be dirtier more often than the black model because of its colour. The black model looks very nice as well, just doesn't have that "special" look to it in my opinion. I'm getting one of these very soon and I'm very excited to see how the sound is like.

ATH M50 Black vs White

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 13
White one. Like the look and everything I have now are mostly black, will not mind the change
no apologies needed. Nice place to hang out 
Welcome aboard!

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 13
I own the black ones.  They rock!  Also, black is available with the straight cable.  White is only coily cable, I believe.  You sound more excited over the stylish white ones.  They probably won't get that dirty.  Go for it! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 13
Color is not a problem, sound quality matters. 
wink.gif

I'd choose any. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Haha those headphones do look similar. And yea girls tend to like bright coloured headphones. It's just that I have a black laptop, black iphone, black blah blah.

Then rock it with a white hoodie :p
At the end of the day though the phones are staying with you so make sure you pick the one YOU prefer. There will always be remorse though (if you pick the white ones you will think you should have got the black ones and vice versa) 

And welcome! 
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 13
I had the black ones to test out for 3 days before I received the white ones,  In my opinion, I think the bass was a tad heavier on the black ones.. but the white ones a better overall sound (more pronounced mids and better bass).  I also like the coiled cord wayyyyyyyyy more than the straight cord that my black ones had.  I hated that cord to be honest.  I also think the white ones look a lot better. Again, just my opinion.

Keep in mind, I have listened to both headphones for less than 50-100 hrs or the "proclaimed break in time" for them to sound optimal as some on these forums say

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 13
Oh so the different colours sound different! :O

I did also hear some people say the white one sounded slightly superior to the black one. I think I'll go with the white one, for sound and also it looks very appealing to me. 

ps. thanks all for welcoming me, hope I can contribute to the forums more.

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Oh so the different colours sound different! :O

I did also hear some people say the white one sounded slightly superior to the black one. I think I'll go with the white one, for sound and also it looks very appealing to me. 

ps. thanks all for welcoming me, hope I can contribute to the forums more.

I think i will paint my headphones, hopefully this changes the sound signature. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #13 of 13
I have owned the white version for about 9 months and this is what they look like. I would also like to mention that I take very good care of my stuff when I would set these down they would ether be placed on my bed or my clean desk. Also when i travel with these I always carry them in a hard case. So in the end in about 9 months this is what they look like. If you don't mind the darkness at the bottom of the headband then I would recommend getting the white ones. Other then the headband getting darker the rest of the headphones look just as clean, shiny and white as I got them. The rest of the headphone is made of glossy plastic so I am guessing this dark material doesn't stick to it at all only the leather headband. On the other hand if you are worried about your headphones getting dirty they will no matter how carful you are so if that is a concern get the black ones. Also I found the ear pads on the black version to be a lot softer and they had a slightly bigger opening for the ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back