Audio Technica ATH-M50 bass response question.
Jul 29, 2011 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ytisawfulnow

100+ Head-Fier
I know that i've already posted... Possibly over a million threads with questions about these cans but on headphonic it describes them as:
"Arguably one of the best sounding sub-$200 closed models, the M50 are easy to drive and feature a fairly bassy sound. Isolation levels are good overall making them a good choice for studio work, or situations where you don't want outside noise bothering you.
Bass can be a little boomy and uncontrolled at times, suiting those that prefer slightly exaggerated bass response.
While some people may be happy with this model for portable use, they are fairly heavy and bulky.
"

"feature a fairly bassy sound, Bass can be a little boomy and uncontrolled at times, suiting those that prefer slightly exaggerated bass response."

I recently purchased a pair of Skullcandy Skullcrushers and hated them, the bass distorted, crackled, made loud booming sounds overpowering the music and vibrated on my head, do these headphones do any of the following because i like a nice clean tight punchy bass response, not loud and boomy like those bassheads love so much.

Thanks.

Jul 29, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 5

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Heya,

Arguably is the only thing I agree with there. I wouldn't call M50's bassy or uncontrolled.

The bass is decent, it's tight, deep, controlled. It's not over exaggerated. These are not basshead headphones. They sort of do everything to an extent, but are not excellent at anything in particular. They've just received a lot of attention due to price point and being able to handle most genres of audio fairly well without leaving you wanting until your taste evolves into whatever it does (since it's different for everyone).

Have you considered the Shure 840 over the M50?

Very best,

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 5

zzzxtreme

New Head-Fier
many studios who use 5-7" monitor speakers use M50 for IEM for their mixing/mastering. M50's bass is deep and clear

but only you can know if you will like it or not. varies from person to person

Users who are viewing this thread