Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
May 16, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #271 of 699
So that happened 
biggrin.gif
  This may just have effectively ruined these cans as far as neutrality. Now that the drivers are venting the sub bass has noticeably opened up. I'm feeling vibrations and low bass notes hit harder/louder at any volume, much like the DT990 Pros that spoiled me. Happily the rest of the spectrum remains unchanged.

Nice mod if you want more low end oomph from your M40X 
L3000.gif

Yes, very neutral headphone, pre-mod.

May 24, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #272 of 699

Yes, very neutral headphone, pre-mod.

Factoring the range over which typical human hearing is most/least sensitive, I'd say these cans are net fairly neutral overall, but yes there's a slight V shape left. Certainly compared to many others which are overly bassy, boxy or bright they do a pretty good job representing the input signal.

May 25, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #273 of 699
i got the m30x's months ago for $29, used. according to reviews and comments here and in amazon i dare say they seem closer to the 40x's than what the 40's are to the 50's. for closed-back they sure lack bass. brainwaz pads helped a little. mods people do to the fostex headphones gave me the idea of taping the outer-most holes on both baffles and now there is definitely bass to be heard, maybe not much in the sub-bass region but enough of it everywhere else. (photo included)

May 26, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #275 of 699
If headfi doesn't work for whatever reason, there's also photobucket, imgur, imagebam, and more to help host the image, then you can link it here.

May 27, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #276 of 699
Im not sure if its just my headphones, or what but i noticed that my m40x sound pretty bad when connected with my tablet a Samsung galaxy Tab S, tho they sound decent when connected to my PC, in my phone they sound slightly better than the tablet. Has any one noticed this much change on sound. Don't know whether it would be a good choice to invest in a DAC or a diff sound card to see if i can get better quality out of the m40x. Has anyone tried or noticed any of this things?

May 28, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #277 of 699
Compared with the 40x, the 50x are a little more relaxed, a little less natural sounding, with more soundstage and spaciousness between the instruments. With the 50x, you're in the front row watching the band perform. With the 40x, you're IN the band, on the stage, with everything right in your face. Small soundstage, clean, clear separation (but not much spaciousness), exciting sound.

The 50x would be more for the casual listener, straddling that line between "audiophile" and regular listening. A great headphone. The 40x would be more for people who want to analyze their favorite recordings and "experience" the studio. It's a toss up. Neither one is worse than the other, but it really depends on what type of experience you want from your headphone. Also, I'm not finding the lack of bass on the 40x that everyone else seems to complain about. These things thump deep. They sound great. The vocals on the 40x are amazing too.

Gonna do another shoot out tonight when my friend brings over his 50x so we can compare. He's thinking of either grabbing a pair of the 40x to compliment the 50x or returning the 50x and getting the 40x.

I'm thinking about picking up a pair of the 50x myself to have both. What I'm REALLY curious to know now is how the 40x compare with the 70x.

May 28, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #278 of 699
To those who plan on comparing the M50x, M40x, and/or M30x: try equalizing them (guides all over this site) so the frequency response is as accurate as possible on all of them. That would be a more interesting comparison, I think. I owned all three and honestly like the M50x the least due to its overwhelming bass...but I get the feeling that with EQ, it would come out on top.

May 31, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #280 of 699
Cool.

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #282 of 699
A question I have about these is how common breakage is on these ones, I'm talking about the so called 'design flaw' that some people seems to have experienced where the cup has come off right by the swivel (as I understand it?). The plastic has simply cracked right by the swivel or something like that? I have read some comments on amazon and other places and some seems to have had this fixed by audio technica while others have been told the warranty does not cover this type of damage. A guess is that this is not especially common as the positive reviews and comments by far outnumbers the few ones reporting this problem, but im still curious to know if anyone could shed some further light on the matter.

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #283 of 699
A question I have about these is how common breakage is on these ones, I'm talking about the so called 'design flaw' that some people seems to have experienced where the cup has come off right by the swivel (as I understand it?). The plastic has simply cracked right by the swivel or something like that? I have read some comments on amazon and other places and some seems to have had this fixed by audio technica while others have been told the warranty does not cover this type of damage. A guess is that this is not especially common as the positive reviews and comments by far outnumbers the few ones reporting this problem, but im still curious to know if anyone could shed some further light on the matter.

Mine broke after about 6 months. I put electrical tape at first because it was just falling apart but at some point it fell apart completely. I asked the store I bought it from and apparently there's no warranty so I contacted Audio Technica directly and I never got a proper reply. I'm from the Philippines so there's no Warranty Center. I had an issue with the drivers before this and Audio Technica did reply but when the swivel broke they didn't reply. I think it's because of the poor support for my country. I got it repaired here locally by a guy who repairs headphones and iems. He just put the pieces back together and soldered it or something like that. The other side also had a crack.

Here's a pic

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #284 of 699
Mine broke after about 6 months. I put electrical tape at first because it was just falling apart but at some point it fell apart completely. I asked the store I bought it from and apparently there's no warranty so I contacted Audio Technica directly and I never got a proper reply. I'm from the Philippines so there's no Warranty Center. I had an issue with the drivers before this and Audio Technica did reply but when the swivel broke they didn't reply. I think it's because of the poor support for my country. I got it repaired here locally by a guy who repairs headphones and iems. He just put the pieces back together and soldered it or something like that. The other side also had a crack.

Here's a pic

Ah, yes I see, too bad they didn't reply and sorted that out for you... But nice you got them repaired anyways. As I said earlier I have seen some people who have gotten it fixed without any trouble whatsoever and others who have gotten no service at all so I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of experience people in this forum has, both with the headphones and service considering this particular problem. The value one gets in terms of pure sound quality out of these headphones is really great I would say, I really like them! The clamp was very strong out the box but after stretching the headband they instantly became much looser and much more comfortable to wear. The only downside to the value as I can see is the questionable build quality. Thank you for replying.

Jul 3, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #285 of 699
I just ordered a pair of those headphones and I am sure that I will also need a kinda shorter cable with a headset (for android preferably).
Any suggestions on something tested that works fine and doesn't decrease the sound quality?

I can't seem to be able to find reviews for anything. What I am considering is the following which appears to be the same:
Amazon
eBay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back