Audio Technica ATH-L5000
Jul 23, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #197 of 235
Jul 23, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #198 of 235
Newbie to this thread.. Just got the L5000 (found a pair in new condition)

I'm finding it hard to get a good fit, specifically getting a seal at the top of both ear pads.

Would be grateful for any practical advise how to achieve a good seal on these headphones.. thanks 🙏
Same problem here with fit - the top of pads doesn't feel like a firm seal. The headband arc is too wide, sharply curved and rigid. I remember similar issues with the W5000 - but no such problem with older models like L3000, W2002, etc.

I do wonder how much that affects the sonic balance. It definitely caused problems for the W5000, and I experimented with different AT pads I had on hand (which were too small to fit the pad lip well, but I tried) - a better seal resulted in a more natural, less bright balance. The W5000 were near unlistenable in stock form. That's not a problem with L5000; they sound lovely as-is - but I won't experiment here because they're on loan.

Jul 23, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #199 of 235
Same problem here with fit - the top of pads doesn't feel like a firm seal. The headband arc is too wide, sharply curved and rigid. I remember similar issues with the W5000 - but no such problem with older models like L3000, W2002, etc.

I do wonder how much that affects the sonic balance. It definitely caused problems for the W5000, and I experimented with different AT pads I had on hand (which were too small to fit the pad lip well, but I tried) - a better seal resulted in a more natural, less bright balance. The W5000 were near unlistenable in stock form. That's not a problem with L5000; they sound lovely as-is - but I won't experiment here because they're on loan.
Thanks!

Any suggestions for pads that may fit the L5000 and perhaps are deeper and more plush to attempt a good seal?

Jul 23, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #200 of 235
UPDATE - and important PSA!

I've solved completely the issue of fit! I have found a solution that is easy, fast, and improves overall sound quality across the board.

I've been thinking this morning that if I had much deeper ear pads (with similar internal and external radius) that were nice and plush, they might naturally conform to the head wearing it. ZMF pads immediately came to mind (as I own 3 of their headphones). This sounded too easy and surely I wouldn't have the good fortune of a quick and easy fit. Putting my ZMF headphone cups side by side with my L5000, I observed that, although ZMF pads are oval inside, their external dimensions are identical, as well as their mounting method.

Of the few extra ZMF pads I have on hand, I chose a set of ZMF Universe Lamb Solid earpads, to help create a complete seal. It took me less than 30 seconds (and 0 effort) to quickly replace the pads. They fit perfectly, perhaps better than the original. Better yet, the ZMF pads are soooo much more comfortable than the original AT pads - they are very deep, oval, and generously plush - creating that comforting, spacious, over-ear experience one loves.

Most importantly -- Sonically, the L5000 transformed completely! Perhaps that is what those few, with the specific head shape to fit the original design as-is, have reported that I am now able to experience. Now, with a full seal, these headphones have transformed. They no longer have an upward tilting FR and, in fact, have good sub-bass and punchy bass.

I am quite astnosihed what a change in both comfort and sound profile these ZMF ead pads are able to achieve / @zach915m - FYI. And thanks, as always, for a great product🙏:)

I've also decided to replace the original cable. It sounded great, but it is heavy and slightly microphonic. By chance, I sold my AWAS headphones this week but kept a couple of the after-market A2DC cables I had made for them. I connected my Impact Cable OCC Litz cable, and now I also got a light-as-a-feather comfortable cable with no notable sonic differences.

The L5000 transformed into a great fitting, comfortable, well-balanced headphones that are a joy to listen to!

1658609709606.png

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #201 of 235
Where did you get your after-market A2DC cables? It looks like the Impact Cable site isn't taking orders right now.

Given how microphonic the base L5000 cable is, I'd love to try out some alternatives.

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #202 of 235
I've heard AT is releasing a two new limited edition headphone:

• Wireless: Priced between 3,000-5,000 AUD.
  • Wired: 18,000 to 2,0000 AUD.
So yea, I'm out.

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #203 of 235
Where did you get your after-market A2DC cables? It looks like the Impact Cable site isn't taking orders right now.

Given how microphonic the base L5000 cable is, I'd love to try out some alternatives.
Impact Cable is a one-man shop. My experience with Lindsay, who has been easy to deal with (though been a year), is that when he's out of inventory or time to work on cables, he just marks all the products on his website as unavailable to avoid taking any new orders until he is ready to do that. You can just shoot him an email at impactaudiocablesinfo@gmail.com and ask when he may be able to work on a new cable.

That said, although A2DC isn't a popular connector, probably most custom cable shops will source this for you. Any cable can be terminated wtih A2DC. Other shops I like and bought cables from: Viking Weave, Forza. And there are so many more: Norne, Satin, Arctic, and many others. You should be able to easily source a quality after-market cable from one of those!

I've heard AT is releasing a two new limited edition headphone:

• Wireless: Priced between 3,000-5,000 AUD.
  • Wired: 18,000 to 2,0000 AUD.
So yea, I'm out.

I need a blood pressure monitor :)

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #205 of 235
I followed your advice and got a pair of ZMF Universe pads. It was much easier to switch the pads than I thought (thanks to the kuboten video) and can confirm that they gave a much better seal than the stock pads on my narrow head. Thanks for sharing!
That’s awesome! I’m so glad my solution is getting wider adaption. Such a simple fix that transforms the comfort and sound and makes the L5000 a total game changer. Enjoy!!!

Aug 11, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #207 of 235
No pricing info from online sources but AT Japan did tease a lineup of 60th anniversary products in an earlier press release: https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/news/detail/159

If you open the full size image, the boxes at either end are probably for the headphones audionewbi is referring to, labelled ATH-W(_)2022 and ATH-W2022. Fall release date at an event in Tokyo. Likely can expect more info around the time of the fall Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival happening 9.17-18

Sep 28, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #209 of 235
The MC cartridge is super interesting, with a one-piece diamond stylus & cantilever that I believe has not been done before. I have a Koetsu with diamond cantilever that's wonderful, but it's definitely 2 pieces with the cantilever looking like lower quality diamond than stylus (slight green tint).

The headphone's look is really interesting - but not sure that's the right aesthetic for our market (did the CEO's wife design it, ala Microsoft BOB in the 1990s?). And a titanium dome driver seems downright pedestrian at this price-point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back