audio-technica ath-f2?
Sep 28, 2002 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 14
evo: u live in singapore too?

I have never heard of it, nor see many recommendation for it. I guess there might be for some reason.. (maybe soundwise sucks? )

U might want to try Audio technica W100 (for $460 at Hung Bros SLS) or AT-AD5 or somehting(the open air ones) if you like Audio Technica. Otherwise , tell us how much you are willing to spend on a new headphone and what music do you listen to. because there are so much better phones out there..not just AT.

I regard AT phones as crap(like SONY's low end.. DJ sries) ,except for its wooden series and open aires (AT). They sound very mediocre and you can often get much better phone given its price.

Sep 28, 2002 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 14
Closed folding can?
Easy, sennheiser hd260pro. closed and is foldable it' under $200 at hung bros.. I got try be4 but a bit bright loh..

You might want to give it a listen, who knows if it sounds good to you.

Take bus? u sec sch/jc ?

Sep 30, 2002 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 14
thanks for the recommendation

it's quite clear form this forum that the popular closed headphones are

1. sony mdr-v6/7506
2. senn hd280
3. beyer dt250-80

but these 3 phones are all out of my financial range as i've already splurged [relative to me] on a grado sr-60 [S$120]

hence the search for a cheap closed heaphone for commuting that provides adequate isolation

btw, the a-t model i saw was the ath-t2

fyi, i'm in university

regards

Sep 30, 2002 at 7:44 AM Post #6 of 14
How much are you willing to spend?
My suggestion is that you save up until you get at least about S$200.. because anything below that price range usually is no better than the grado or some of them even sucks..
Save up and get yourself something like beyer dt250-80 which I believe can be had for $260 at hungbros.

there's another audiotechnica closed design in Hungbros(black colour, made in taiwan one.. not japan). Probably selling quite cheap and sounds not too bad. The other one is I think AKG K something.. I can't remember... it's around $140 I think... cheap and sounds good .

And may I know where do you purchase your grado?
Thanks

Sep 30, 2002 at 8:22 AM Post #8 of 14
i will put this plug in for him. sony eggo d-66's. hehe... they fold, sound decent, look great, and aren't too expensive... i had a pair a looooong time ago, but i stepped on the cord or something and ripped it outta the phone... but otherwise, for the time i had it, it was great...
smily_headphones1.gif

magic, u got any room left in ur bunker?

Sep 30, 2002 at 8:28 AM Post #9 of 14
btw, if u dun believe me when i say they look great, check this out.

sonymdrd66sl-h.jpg

don't u wanna be just like him??
tongue.gif
just kidding, they really do look cool if u don't tend to wear sparkly masks around...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2002 at 9:35 AM Post #10 of 14
The step down from the d66 pro eggos, are the MDR-D22. They're supposed to sound pretty good as well, are foldable, look better, imo, than the d66 and are, most importantly, cheaper!

Dunno if you can get this in Singapore, but this would be perfect for you.

f_sony_mdrd22sl.jpg

Sep 30, 2002 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 14
evo: have you tried sennheiser hd497? I heard they are quite good.. but may not be very comfortable.

Anyway I have never been to Adelphi. Do they sell alot of headphones there?? what about headphone amplifier ?Maybe one day I should go there..

Oct 1, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 14
evo,
i listened to the ath-f55 which is the f2's big brother. it sounded really bad. i would have to say stay clear of them. some of the ath pro line are ok, not great but ok. i think that the v6 is a really good choice if you can get it cheep. i have the eggo d66 and really like it a lot but it is only semi closed so it lets quite a bit of outside sound in. i don't know about singapore but i think you should be able to get the v6 cheeper than the d66 too.

Oct 1, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #14 of 14
wow!

thanx for all the responses

1. haven't seen the eggos [both models] in singapore yet, but will consider them

2. i'm not so keen on canal-phones

3. senn hd497 seem to be good headphones [from what i've heard in the forum] but are open headphones - i need the isolation for commuting

4. headphones at the adelphi are few and far between. they sell mostly audio-equipment. but i've seen akg headphones besides grados mentioned earlier

finally, i think the conclusion is that cheap closed headphones sound quite bad. i'll need to save up to buy something decent

regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back