Audio-Technica ATH-EW9
Mar 13, 2004 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

blux

100+ Head-Fier
Here's a pic from AudioCubes.com
f_audiotechnica_athew9.jpg

I know this is probably a repeat thread, but I searched and couldnt find anything about these.

Anyone have any experiance with them? Any reviews?
They look VERY sweet...

Edit: I know I remember seeing a thread with a review on these... :/
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 14
Sweet! Thanks a lot..

I don't think the search function is working...
biggrin.gif

I'm also interested in the Audio-Technica ATH-CM7ti, if anyone has any information.

I am looking for an amazing portable earphone, when I cant use my E3. For instance I cant wear the E3 at work because I am inturrupted a lot, its a pain to put in and take out the E3 10 times a day...
wink.gif

by the way, I love my A900, and I need some more AT headphones!

Mar 14, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 14
Bump anyone??

Anyone just recently pick a pair of these up?

I'm bored..

Mar 14, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by blux
Bump anyone??

Anyone just recently pick a pair of these up?

I'm bored..

LOL... Although I'm unlikely to ever get an EW9.. I thought I chime in on some adjacent subjects. I'm using my A900 at work right now. The other day though, I was watching DVD's late at night, and realized I left myself without a very good pair of home headphone just for that type of purpose.

I have a CD3000 hooked up to my home system, and my surround sound amp isn't elegant enough to give it a nice and full sound. So that's for music only. My CD780 is hooked up to my M-Audio Revolution, which is in the back of the computer, and I don't want to have to unplug them.

V6 is at work as a loaner for co-workers, HN100 and PX250 just sucks in comparison to any other headphones I've got.. so in a way, unacceptable for what I want in a theatre experience.

So that leaves me with a pair of HD497, which is okay, it's just that they get extremely uncomfortable after about 30 minutes or use or so. Supra-aural pads pressing against your ears, building up some heat and sweat...

The result of all that, on Friday, I went on AudioCubes and ordered myself an A500. If the A500 turns out to be adequate for casual music listening purposes, I will be moving that to the office while preserving the much more expensive A900 for home theatre use. If its music capability isn't up to par, then I will be using it instead in the home theatre setting while leaving my A900 at work.

Mar 14, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 14
Sounds good to me.. Hope you like the A500..

I want some EW9's though...They are just... so....

SEXY!

Mar 14, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

The result of all that, on Friday, I went on AudioCubes and ordered myself an A500. If the A500 turns out to be adequate for casual music listening purposes, I will be moving that to the office while preserving the much more expensive A900 for home theatre use. If its music capability isn't up to par, then I will be using it instead in the home theatre setting while leaving my A900 at work.

Make your impression of the a500 after some good burn in time. When I first recieved my pair I wasn't to impressed but after about a week of straight playing they sound quite good for a $99 headphone. Just my two cents
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by blux
Sounds good to me.. Hope you like the A500..

I want some EW9's though...They are just... so....

SEXY!

They are certainly handsome looking and will attract a lot of attention from those around you.

Mar 20, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 14
I got a pair of EW9s a week ago and have been burning them in since. I also considered the CM7ti but one look at the real thing at a retailer's sold me.

My first impression - I nearly wet myself! There was no width to speak of, the high and mid ranges seems to be ganging up on me while trying to fight it out amongst themselves, and the basses decided to go to sleep. I paid through my nose for these and I had a fleeting desire to jump out the window when I realized that I should try burning them in before commiting suicide.

After 24 hours the high and mid ranges have settled their arguement and have taken up their respective position while the basses have woken up a bit. After 48 hours Sarah Brightman sounds herself again, and not Miss Porky trying to do high-C on falsetto; the mid ranges sound more mellow while the basses sounds like they have done a bit of warming up and are throwing some nice punches.

The EW9s are my first ever clip-ons and it took me a while to figure out how best to put them on. After that things seems to go the way I expect them to and the EW9s are sounding (not to mention looking) better and better.

If I can find this thread again after a few more days of burning in I'll give you guys an update.

Mar 20, 2004 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 14
talking about headphones for watching DVDs, do you think its better to have an open air phone or the closed one for DVD purpose ? (having that airy sound or more firm sound of closed one..)
i havent really tried, so i need some experience from people.

Mar 20, 2004 at 11:59 AM Post #11 of 14
I would certainly expect that a set of $200 clip-ons would be the best-sounding ones of that type on the market..........I'm curious to see how these work with MD units.

Mar 20, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by dj_mocok
talking about headphones for watching DVDs, do you think its better to have an open air phone or the closed one for DVD purpose ? (having that airy sound or more firm sound of closed one..)
i havent really tried, so i need some experience from people.

In my experience, closed headphone with angled drivers offers much better frontal imaging than open-air headphones... and better sound imaging in general.

When watching DVD's, I think that's the most important thing... open-air headphones tend to give you a very airy soundstage (not necessarily larger, but just feels more airy) and worse sound imaging.

Mar 20, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
In my experience, closed headphone with angled drivers offers much better frontal imaging than open-air headphones... and better sound imaging in general.

When watching DVD's, I think that's the most important thing... open-air headphones tend to give you a very airy soundstage (not necessarily larger, but just feels more airy) and worse sound imaging.

Agreed, I much prefer closed cans instead of open for dvd's.

Mar 20, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 14
I wonder how these compare to ety's, e3's, and ksc35's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back