Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Apr 16, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #767 of 787
I wouldn’t necessary say it sounds like an HD650. To me, on ears will never sound as full as full size headphones. Full size headphone has deeper cups more space and larger drivers. HD 650 is less colored but the esw9

Apr 16, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #768 of 787
Just pointing out that the HD650 and the ESW9A have the same sized (42mm) drivers.

While I never cared much for the Sennheiser house sound the HD650 is indeed more neutral than the ESW9A. However, on tracks like Leticia Wolf's "It's Fine" or anything with wood instruments it's sublime. Furthermore with proper amping and careful use of bass boost they will actually try and lift off one's ears. Finally their portability and classy looks make them much more inline with an out and about pair of headphones for a person with discerning taste...

Apr 16, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #769 of 787
Oops sorry for the wrong info on driver size. I haven’t been into headphone in awhile. Just saw an email that pop up saying someone post a comment. Decided to check it out.
But I still don’t think on ear and full size sound the same. I agree with wood sounding headphones. Nothing wrong with on ear as I do like the esw9a.

Apr 16, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #770 of 787
Just pointing out that the HD650 and the ESW9A have the same sized (42mm) drivers.

While I never cared much for the Sennheiser house sound the HD650 is indeed more neutral than the ESW9A. However, on tracks like Leticia Wolf's "It's Fine" or anything with wood instruments it's sublime. Furthermore with proper amping and careful use of bass boost they will actually try and lift off one's ears. Finally their portability and classy looks make them much more inline with an out and about pair of headphones for a person with discerning taste...

I’m actually looking for an HD650 like sound with more midbass and subbass.

Which one would have smoother upper-mids and highs between the 2?

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #771 of 787
Oops sorry for the wrong info on driver size. I haven’t been into headphone in awhile. Just saw an email that pop up saying someone post a comment. Decided to check it out.
But I still don’t think on ear and full size sound the same. I agree with wood sounding headphones. Nothing wrong with on ear as I do like the esw9a.
No issues; I've made plenty of mistakes! And you are correct that the over/on ear is different. Keeping it in house the W1000X/Z (evening allowing the 9mm bigger drivers) sounds more neutral with a wider soundstage than the ESW9A. But I would not wear either of those out and about and some times I simply want more 'liveliness' or a fun sound.

The driver size combined with the wooden cups make for some fantastic sounding portable headphones. As I enjoy AT's overall house sound to me these headphones still get rotated out with the ES990H especially as the upper headband is flaking something fierce.

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #772 of 787
I’m actually looking for an HD650 like sound with more midbass and subbass.

Which one would have smoother upper-mids and highs between the 2?
As I don't own an HD650 (and haven't listened to one in a decade?) I'll demur to those who have both. However I can state that for portability the ESW9A wins out. However it loses the replaceable cables as well as not having the velour pads (some people prefer that style). The upper mids, especially female vocal range, is an Audio Techinca specialty. The highs are not sibilant at all because I am very sensitive to that and wouldn't be able to wear the headphones for hours at a time if they were.

So if you want to take my admittedly biased opinion and plan to use the headphones on the go just as much or more than at home I'd recommend the ESW9A (or updated ESW990H which adds in replaceable cables).

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #773 of 787
As I don't own an HD650 (and haven't listened to one in a decade?) I'll demur to those who have both. However I can state that for portability the ESW9A wins out. However it loses the replaceable cables as well as not having the velour pads (some people prefer that style). The upper mids, especially female vocal range, is an Audio Techinca specialty. The highs are not sibilant at all because I am very sensitive to that and wouldn't be able to wear the headphones for hours at a time if they were.

So if you want to take my admittedly biased opinion and plan to use the headphones on the go just as much or more than at home I'd recommend the ESW9A (or updated ESW990H which adds in replaceable cables).
And are female vocals/sounds in that fr range a bit shouty/strident sometimes, due to the emphasis?

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #774 of 787
OP, this is my take on the two headphones. Take it with a grain of salt as I haven’t heard the esw9a in awhile. I do think you not need to worry as far as high and upper mids with both headphones. The esw9a is a smooth lush warm headphone with an emphasis on vocal. The smooth lush is helped with the wood cup. The sound will be more closer as to me most on ears are. The HD650, changes with different amp, but do some what sound similar to esw9a with more lower bass but less mid bass than esw9a.
I think what you really should think about when deciding is what you need it for. On ears to me what I enjoy most is the “on the go aspect” as in plug and pay, no need amp, and worry carrying a long heavy cable, no fumbling with something massive. The downfall is comfort, on ears will hurt your ears on long sessions. The esw9a to me is actually more on the comfortable side of on ears. now I wouldn’t really take this out and about with the wood cup, but good for moving around the house or going to the library etc. full size is good for long, sit down desktop situation.
Lossinthesauce, the w1000x is another AT headphones I like, wish I bought one though. No worry’s about up there and happy hifi 😊

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #775 of 787
And are female vocals/sounds in that fr range a bit shouty/strident sometimes, due to the emphasis?
Not at all. A largest portion of my music library is female vocal so any headphone that would make them shouty/strident would be gotten rid of. I've auditioned numerous brands and for me AT just fits my preferences the best. I don't have golden ears and can not elucidate with the flowery language like some on this forum who are gifted with gab but I know what I like and how it sounds on my equipment.
OP, this is my take on the two headphones. Take it with a grain of salt as I haven’t heard the esw9a in awhile. I do think you not need to worry as far as high and upper mids with both headphones. The esw9a is a smooth lush warm headphone with an emphasis on vocal. The smooth lush is helped with the wood cup. The sound will be more closer as to me most on ears are. The HD650, changes with different amp, but do some what sound similar to esw9a with more lower bass but less mid bass than esw9a.
I think what you really should think about when deciding is what you need it for. On ears to me what I enjoy most is the “on the go aspect” as in plug and pay, no need amp, and worry carrying a long heavy cable, no fumbling with something massive. The downfall is comfort, on ears will hurt your ears on long sessions. The esw9a to me is actually more on the comfortable side of on ears. now I wouldn’t really take this out and about with the wood cup, but good for moving around the house or going to the library etc. full size is good for long, sit down desktop situation.
Lossinthesauce, the w1000x is another AT headphones I like, wish I bought one though. No worry’s about up there and happy hifi 😊
When I wear the ESW9A they are fairly comfortable for on ears but I wouldn't choose them as my only headphone if I was going to be mostly listening to them at home because as you mention they do hurt the ears (as all on ears do) after a while. I'm not particularly careful with my headphones but have had the ESW9A since 2013 with them literally traveling around the world and with the exception of the headband problems listed earlier they have held up really well with no damage to the cups at all. I sometimes switch them out with the (very inferior sounding) ES88 which are also built like a tank and I would shed many fewer tears over if I lost them. Vis à vis the W1000X the W1000Z is a really good update to them. The headphone I kick myself the most for having never bought was the W5000X; at the time I was considering adding them to the stable there was a lot of...not so good comments about them. Finding a new one now is double priced. The funny thing is that my absolute favorite headphone, the AD900X, is often not available since the wife decided that she likes them so much...wonder if that's reason enough to purchase the R70X?

Apr 17, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #776 of 787
I don’t mind the comfort of the ESW9. I just want that HD650 sound but with more subbass and midbass, I actually would like the more intimate presentation.

What is the sound difference between the ESW9 and ESW9A, due to the different wood they use?

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #778 of 787
nvm

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #779 of 787
I don’t mind the comfort of the ESW9. I just want that HD650 sound but with more subbass and midbass, I actually would like the more intimate presentation.

What is the sound difference between the ESW9 and ESW9A, due to the different wood they use?
Btw, with the statement “I don’t mind the comfort of the ESW9” I meant that them being on ear don’t matter to me.

Is there anyone here that wants to trade their ESW9 with my Beyerdynamic DT250 - 250 ohm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back