Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #661 of 1,113
  I can't help but feel privileged to be a part of a relatively exclusive group who have had the pleasure of owning these gems.

Aye it's nice, but I honestly can't help but also feel upset that the group is so exclusive! 

I wish AT would iron out their international efforts. It honestly makes me sad to see the Momentum etc constantly talked about but no one ever asks me about the ES10 on my Youtube channel. Same as with the ES700. :frowning2: They are both fantastic contenders in their classes and I'm very pleased with them.

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #662 of 1,113
Got the pads a day earlier than I thought. Sound-stage and clarity have improved significantly - now that I have tried these the stock pads make everything sound so congested in comparison, and it wasn't something I noticed before. What an improvement! Vocals seem to have benefited the most - everything is just separated better. Definitely a more laid back feeling which I actually prefer.

The comfort has also improved immensely. A must have upgrade for all ES10 owners. I didn't know that ear pads could have such a profound effect on a pair of headphones. They really should be included as standard, as they make the headphones sound, feel and look more expensive.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #663 of 1,113

Aye it's nice, but I honestly can't help but also feel upset that the group is so exclusive! 

I wish AT would iron out their international efforts. It honestly makes me sad to see the Momentum etc constantly talked about but no one ever asks me about the ES10 on my Youtube channel. Same as with the ES700. :frowning2: They are both fantastic contenders in their classes and I'm very pleased with them.

I agree wholeheartedly. I wanted to try these long ago but they were hard to source at a reasonable price. I had to go for an open box pair to get them at a more justified price, and I am so glad I did.

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #664 of 1,113
Same as with the ES700. :frowning2: They are both fantastic contenders in their classes and I'm very pleased with them.

Of all my portables I ever tried or owned I have to say the es10-es700-esw11 are simply the best portables in sound I ever put on my head.
Those are the "fabulous three portables" to hear and own, so far for me... Waiting to test some more soon but those are a trifecta force on another level :p
Ha
Also, low volume level listening is a real test for headphones to impress :)

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #666 of 1,113
Have you seen the es700?
Supposed to replace the es7?

Also I would recommend the clear protector from "bestskinsever"

They only have the slightly smaller protector for the es7 but I have used it on my esw9 & esw11 anyway as it works well

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #668 of 1,113
Have you seen the es700?
Supposed to replace the es7?

Also I would recommend the clear protector from "bestskinsever"

They only have the slightly smaller protector for the es7 but I have used it on my esw9 & esw11 anyway as it works well

Speaking of clear protectors... Anyone using a protector for your ES10? Or are all of us just turning ignorant to the scratches? :D

Agree with you to the max. I've tried many other portables like the Momentum, M100, HD25-1 II, Amperior, etc... but all of them seem to fall short of the ES10 in some way or another. In terms of looks, the ES10 definitely stands out. Maybe just that the price commands a premium.

Even though there isn't much talk around the ES10, whenever I let someone try them, the results are always positive.

I've got to bump this back up. Oh my, I've had these for just over a week and they just keep getting better and better. So much more refined and tighter then when I first got them. Even when I listen to my music on low volume the magic is still there. I don't think I've heard headphones perform this good at low volumes. They have made me appreciate my music at a whole new level - I am so glad that I did not get put off by the premium I had to pay in the UK due to availability. The sound truly has me infatuated. I can't help but feel privileged to be a part of a relatively exclusive group who have had the pleasure of owning these gems.

And I'm still waiting for the ESW11 pads to turn up, which should hopefully be here in the next couple of days.

The ES10 really has a price premium. I got my ES10 used for 400SGD. I'm considering if I should sell my set and get a brand new set, retailing at ~600SGD (~480USD, I think it's the last piece)

Got the pads a day earlier than I thought. Sound-stage and clarity have improved significantly - now that I have tried these the stock pads make everything sound so congested in comparison, and it wasn't something I noticed before. What an improvement! Vocals seem to have benefited the most - everything is just separated better. Definitely a more laid back feeling which I actually prefer.

The comfort has also improved immensely. A must have upgrade for all ES10 owners. I didn't know that ear pads could have such a profound effect on a pair of headphones. They really should be included as standard, as they make the headphones sound, feel and look more expensive.

When the ESW11 was announced, we all waited many months to get our hands on that earpad for an upgrade :D :wink:

i gave es7 to my girlfriend long time ago.  I do want a white es700 for collection but unfortunately they only have black.

After my old ES55 turned from white to slight yellow, I've stayed away from white #.#

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #669 of 1,113
Has anybody else noticed that the ESW11 ear pads require an increase in volume to get to the same volume level as the stocks? I guess it's due to the increased distance from the speakers, but then I get better isolation. I have to say that I tried my stocks after a good few days with the ESW11 pads and there is a significant difference in sound stage. Everything is so much wider with the new pads.

Still love these headphones. I just ordered a pair of HE-400 Hifiman's and I can't wait to see how they compare.

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #670 of 1,113
I have the ESW9A's and find that there is not enough Isolation although they are comfortable enough and not much bass. Do the ES10s isolate a lot better and have better bass and clarity? The list price is close to the same, but for some reason the ESW9s are more common and sell for A LOT less used than the ES10. The ES700s are a lot cheaper but probably isolate only as well as the ESW9s and the ES10s should isolate a lot better do to the bigger cup/driver size?

Other headphones I am debating between are DT 770 Pro 32ohm LE, ES700, A900X... What do you guys think? I have a pair of T70Ps which don't fit well with the EDM I listen to (Chillstep, Dubstep, Triphop, Chillout, Trance, etc...) as they have no bass and are way too bright for my taste. I listened to the DT 880 Pro and liked them quite a bit but they are open, and I need something I can listen to on trains, planes, etc... during my travels as well as in the office without disturbing my cubicle neighbors...

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #671 of 1,113
I just became the proud owner of a pair of these ES10. Also own the A900X, another fine Audio-Technica product, this is definitely an upgrade.

They just listed these for $325 equivalent brand-spanking new on amazon.co.jp, and I was about to pull the trigger, but then I found some used (but very nice shape) that I ultimately picked up for $210 equivalent.

I was blown away by the dynamic range of these headphones, while maintaining great separation and performance all across the spectrum. Wow! Here's my brief impressions thus far:

Test tracks: Violent by 2Pac, What Love by Jagwar Ma, Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament by the Beastie Boys, Inside Out by Anthrax, Show Me How to Live by Audioslave, Double Trouble by the Roots featuring Mos Def.

1) iPhone 5 source: Best sounding cans I've listened to on this source. They give good frequency response but you can hear the source struggling at the highest and lowest ends, and lacking a bit of separation in the middle. It would be a crying shame to listen to these cans using only this source!

2) MBP Retina with iTunes: Similar to iPhone 5 but with more power, sound fills the cans much better, fills out the bass and treble a bit more, but still no where close to the potential.

3) MBP Retina with Audirvana: Now we're starting to see some real audiophile grade excellence, much better definition at high and low end, still not fully separated in the middle, but already very musical and starting to just enjoy the music without analyzing the sound so much.

4) MBP Retina USB digital out to Fostex HP-A3: Wow! This is a dream! The bass has such a deep tight punch! I've never heard cans this size that deliver such fast powerful bass that is so deep in extension. I absolutely love it! The highs are polished, cymbals shine without sibilance, the separation across the spectrum is fantastic, the mids and vocals are not as forward but blend nicely with everything else going on.

5) Marantz M-CR603 CD direct source: Super clean, and quite nice across the spectrum, but lacking the same deep bass punch as with #4 above. The Marantz seems to roll off at low frequencies, and is anyways built for loudspeakers+subwoofer (a pair of Dali Zensor 1s sound wonderful, but don't have the deep bass extension).

I think I will be looking to modify the pads as suggested above, I feel like these can achieve even better soundstage. Also, I have a very big head, and these don't even fit over the top of my head, I have to have them scooted toward the back of my head…still very comfortable, but I can sense the potential improvements. With the stock pads there is really good sound isolation, I wonder how much I will sacrifice by modifying the pads?

The only downside is the cord(s), which seems to be somewhat flimsy for cans that certainly deserve much better. I'll be reading once again through this thread for any information on improving this aspect.

Wow, I still haven't spent more on a pair of headphones than I paid for my Fostex HP-A3 ($280 equivalent), but the ES10 especially sound simply miraculous when paired with this higher-end DAC/mid-level amp. I hope others who own the ES10 have the chance to listen to them downstream of the HP-A3 (or of course even better, the HP-A8)…together they sound vastly more expensive and rich, I can't say enough for this pairing! The HP-A3 tightens up the bass and trims any flab that exists on other sources to zero…you simply get ultra-nice bass punch, and 32 bit high-level DAC polishing across the higher end of the spectrum (you won't need to worry about it).

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #672 of 1,113
I have wanted a pair for a long time, but at £500!!! in the UK, 
I can't see it happening.

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #673 of 1,113
  I have wanted a pair for a long time, but at £500!!! in the UK, 
I can't see it happening.

Wow, mine were £132 equivalent, and the new ones on amazon.co.jp would be £148. You could almost afford a trip to Japan with the price difference!

I thought a stronger currency was supposed to help consumers in the UK by providing better purchasing power? Funny how it never works out that way, isn't it?

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #674 of 1,113
...I've tried many other portables like the Momentum, M100, HD25-1 II, Amperior, etc... but all of them seem to fall short of the ES10 in some way or another...

So far my experience is that a can may have a good driver of any size but when it comes to "scaling up" you simply can't deny that a larger driver will have greater capability at being more impressive, and so it's one of the reasons I believe the es10 is so good(!)..
Because of the fact is has the largest driver for its size or any size at 52mm..
This is also why so many other cans will come and go, and once their excitement pases, these will still remain at top of the heap in portable cans...

Now think of this same wonderful can but with even more Audio technica fine tunning in mids for more euphonic buttery smoothness in same portability with a slightly deeper limited edition wooden enclosure with a driver version that has a voice coil and magnet design wich they consider their latest improvement and what you will realize is another can you should seriously consider at top of heap in the esw11(!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back