Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Aug 17, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #16 of 1,113
I have owned my ES 10 about 2 month

For the Scratch we can do anything, i carrying with the original Pouch and the cable it self i put in a little Pouch , that the Jack not scratch the Headphone

and i put very carefully in Hypo Travel Hard Case.

I am agree the ES 10 sound better with Amp, for Portable Amp i use Stepdance 1.

Sound Character :

Bass : very Big volume Bass and Tight  for Travel Headphone

Mid : Sweet sounding Mid

High : is open but still neet bright Amp to get more open like with my Stepdance 1

Source : Iphone 4 with WAV File Music

LOD : Silver SCSAG Cable to mini Jack

Note : You can directly hear from your Ipod or Iphone too, but with NOITE your music File MUST WAV, to have good

Sound from your Iphone . The Volume is CLOSE to MAX can sound very good too.

Cheers

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #18 of 1,113

Quote:
Hey where did you guys buy your ES10's? I am looking for a reputable seller, thanks.

Hey there--apparently they are available at audiocubes.com. Also, if anyone here has the ES7, can they compare it to the ES10s. I LOVE the ES7's sound signature, I just wish the bass extended deeper. I don't want to lose the glorious " Audio Technica honk" if I buy the ES10s.

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #19 of 1,113
I just bought the ES10 on my last trip to Japan (just 27.700 yen on Yodobashi camera!!!!). They are my new favorite portable headphones and I no longer feel the need to look for something better. Earbuds, on the other hand, is still an open game...

The ES10 works great unamped, and if I EQ my players a bit the bass is not that overpowering. I love the imaging and how it is easy to pinpoint the smallest detail in the music.

Still I keep my ES7 and HD25 1:II. I love the forward and colored mids of the ES7. They work great with guitar based music and really brings the guitars to life. Moreso than the ES10, in fact! But compared to the ES10, everything else on the ES7 sounds subdued.

The HD25 1:II has got a more bright and closed in sound overall. They are a different beast than the ES10 and ES7, and I like that difference. Also I do not need to worry about the HD25 1:II scratching...

I bought my ES7 used in Japan and the earcups had some scratches. As I have used the ES7, they have gotten some more small scratches. I do not want my brand new ES10 to get scratches, so I have bought cheap iPad screen protectors from Ebay. When they arrive, I hope it will work for me to cut them into four circle shaped scratch protectors for the ES10 and ES7...

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #20 of 1,113

Quote:
Guys, need advice.
Just ordered a pair of ES-10 s and now have a hard time picking out a suitable portable amp/dac. The candidate list is: TTVJ slim, RSA Predator, iBasso D12, Leckerton Audio UHA-6S.
Any thoughts/experience with either of these would be appreciated.

ttvj is a excellent match I have to say.

I own a x1051 -> ttvj slim -> es10

very forward mid-range and punchy bass.

sounds very focused, very involving....

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #21 of 1,113
Does anyone have an idea, how the ES10 compare to ATH A900X (sound and comfortwise)? They cost roughly the same here but the small format owns the bulky thing of course.

How would you assess the cable? I love when the cable can be detached. If they were with detachable cable and not as shiny and scratchy (boy I love matte black) that would a nobrainer for me.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #22 of 1,113
I love the ES10 for it's looks and sound, but I do admit it has many shortcomings. It's expensive, the isolation is average, the cable is flimsy and not detachable, the cups are easy to scratch and overall the headphone doesn't feel that robust. Despite all this, I would never sell it.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #23 of 1,113
Thanks for the evaluation. I kinda feel it might be the headphone for me :) I still feel pretty bad paing like 460 EUR for these if the cable is flimsy and such... so sick... why can't they make a sturdy pair? it might just be the perfect headphone cause of its format. Any alternative in this format? How would you rate the comfort according to maybe something you tried.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #24 of 1,113
Yeah for the price I would have liked some genuine leather pads/headband as well as a better cable. However, there isn't much in the way of choices when it comes to closed portables.

Seems to be the usual suspects are:

ATH-ES10
ATH-ESW9
AKG K181
Senn HD25
Beyer DT1350
B&W P5
Phiaton MS400
V-Moda M80
AiAiAi TMA-1
Beats

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #25 of 1,113

Quote:
Thanks for the evaluation. I kinda feel it might be the headphone for me :) I still feel pretty bad paing like 460 EUR for these if the cable is flimsy and such... so sick... why can't they make a sturdy pair? it might just be the perfect headphone cause of its format. Any alternative in this format? How would you rate the comfort according to maybe something you tried.

460 Euro?!?!

I suppose it is very expensive outside of Japan. I don't think I would pay over 400 euro for a pair of ES10. I bought my pair in Japan for a little less than 30.000 yen (around 280 euro). 350 euro would be the limit for me. But the ES10 are very good headphones. Just a bit overpriced...

I also own Sennheiser HD25 1:II and ATH ES7, and the ES10 are the most comfortable out of the three. However the HD25 are the ones that I least need to worry about when it comes to scratches and stuff like that...

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #26 of 1,113
How is the clamping force of the ES10? I find the Sennheiser HD25 clamps way too tight for me, especially with glasses on. Would I be comfortable wearing the ES10 with glasses?

Also, has anybody seen a frequency response graph for the ES10? I haven't been able to find one.

And is there anywhere to buy one in the USA, or do I have to get it shipped from Asia?

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #28 of 1,113
They are actually very comfortable, not too tight at all and are perfectly fine with my glasses. I had mine recabled and balanced with Blue Dragon by Moon Audio and it opened up the soundstage nicely and reduced the sonic clutter I heard particularly in the mids. They do get scratched severely as reported.

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #29 of 1,113
T-Cut will remove the sratches, though rub off before it gets dry as it can be a pain to remove.... also remove pads or mask them up so you don't get t-cut residue on them..... use bees-wax (natural) on the cups it will give a small film over the cup which helps repel lil scratches... hope that helps.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #30 of 1,113

Quote:
Hey where did you guys buy your ES10's? I am looking for a reputable seller, thanks.

Hey what do you think of this seller, real or not?: http://www.mini9ssd.com/product_info.php?products_id=583  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back