Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #961 of 1,113
I must say my ES10 with esw11 pads, sounds a perfect match with the Ibasso DX90 dap, and its latest firmware with most users complain is bass light.

The bass in the ES10 really compensates for this beautifully.

Its all about synergy

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #962 of 1,113
Hi all, another ES10 lover here!

I might have a solution for those of you with cable problems. I myself feel that the stock cable is too thin and seems very fragile. Every time I wear these headphones, I am extra cautious when I move around... I am always afraid that the cable might snap if I get it hooked onto something.
confused_face.gif

I have now modded my ES10 and installed MMCX connectors so that I could have detachable cables. The mod is actually quite straight forward, with no drilling required. The connectors fit nicely in the original cable holes and it actually really looks like it was meant to be this way from the beginning!

Right now I am still using the stock cable, which is also terminated in MMCX. But I'm looking for a nice aftermarket cable to unleash the potential of these fantastic drivers
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #966 of 1,113
has the sound changed?

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #967 of 1,113
  Looks very well done.

Did you pull the connectors from a headphone/iem?

Thanks! I'm quite happy with the way it looks
biggrin.gif

No I didn't pull the connectors from another headphone/iem. I actually bought the female connectors off ebay, and the male connectors from null-audio. They sell connectors to make your own iem cables.

The MMCX are really tiny though, I think it was my first time soldering connectors this small! Below is the female connector (the one that goes in the cup) with size comparison to a 6.3mm TRS adapter.

Luckily the ES10's design is very simple and the small connector fits easily without any destructive mod (apart from cutting the cable).

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #968 of 1,113
  has the sound changed?

The sound is exactly the same as before, I cannot hear any difference. I am still using the stock cable right now, which I terminated with the male MMCX connectors.

But having detachable cables makes the storage of the headphone a lot safer. It is much less prone to breaking when I put it in my bag with my other stuff (heavy university books etc.)
I actually did the same mod to my ESW9. Wasn't as easy though, because the esw9 is of a different interior design. The cup is made of 3 parts instead of 2 for the ES10, so the driver and cable entry are not on the same part.

The result is of course as nice as with the ES10. Very clean look without the cables
wink.gif

I'm going to experiment with some aftermarket cables soon to see if it will change the sound. I'm thinking of getting a Forza AudioWorks hybrid (silver/copper) cable. Hope it can tighten up the bass from the ES10, which I find extremely addicting but a bit loose from time to time depending on the track.

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #969 of 1,113
Could you please let me know where can I get the parts for ES10 like your post ?
I also have ES10, but headband is worn, so I hope to replace them.
I asked to Audiotechnica, but doesn't sell only for parts...

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #970 of 1,113
Could you please let me know where can I get the parts for ES10 like your post ?
I also have ES10, but headband is worn, so I hope to replace them.
I asked to Audiotechnica, but doesn't sell only for parts...

Sorry I'm not sure if you are refering to my post or someone else's. I didn't use any official parts for es10 and so i never contacted AT directly.
The headband on my es10 was also worn and I did look for a replacement online. All I could find was some cheap chinese copy and I didn't really trust the quality.
I ended up buying a sheet of black leather and wrapped it around the original headband.

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #972 of 1,113
Is there a difference in using IEM cables vs headphone cables on a headphone?

I was wondering exactly the same thing, as I was thinkng of getting a Linum BaX cable for the ES10. I shot Estron an email asking if their cable would work ok with full sized headphones and this is the answer I got:

"As for the full size headphones, so far we have only had a few testing a cable with 3.5 TRS plug in both ends and gotten very positive feedback. This Linum cable however also was Super BaX size. As for the MMCX connector, we think it would fit, yet it would probably have to be the Super BaX version to be able to “drive” the power of the Headphones … if you know what I mean. Don’t know if this is the right way to describe it. Anyways, what I mean is, that the regular MMCX BaX would probably not be enough to bring a genuine sound."

Not sure however how this translates into technical terms. Anyone?

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #973 of 1,113
My pair finally arrived from Japan. I've got to say what a quality and well defined sound for such a small package.
It is no doubt the best portable headphones I've ever owned or demo-ed ! 
The treble was creamy, bright and well complimented by the touch of warmness from the bass. Female vocals stand out very well.
Imaging/soundstage was spectacular and does not lose to its full-sized counterparts at all. No sibilance or fuzziness was present.  
I still need more listening time for a good say on the mids.

I'm replacing my AKG k181 DJ UE with these...listening to it again just sounded congested and dull.
The ES10 bass extended much deeper and overall had a much smoother presentation. 
For me the ES-10 does not match DT990 Pro in terms of bass quality.
The 990s still triumph in the bass region having more grumble, intricacy and layering, but the ES-10 is no slouch at all considering its portability. 

I was lucky enough to purchase a used one for around $100. Just need a new pair of ear pads and headband leatherette. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #975 of 1,113
Some good news for you guys! I'm the happy new owner of Bill-P super Modded ES10! I'm looking forward to... kinda joining the club soon ^^ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back